Solved

Upgrade Beware!

• 2 November 2020
  • 13 replies

I have 3 accounts with ID for family members and my wife’s phone was due for an upgrade so thats what we did.  Or we thought we did.  I followed the upgrade link from my wife’s phone accounts page online picked the new phone and waited for the new phone.  The new phone turned up and I took out her sim from her old phone and put it into the new phone without any problems.  Great.

That was in May or there about.  But today I had to check my direct debits and I noticed I had an extra one for ID.  I had four instead of three direct debits.  I checked my ID phone accounts online and checked the phone numbers and account numbers because only ID account numbers appeared on my bank statements not the phone numbers.  I had an extra account number.  I couldn’t check this on the ID website as I didn’t have the phone number for that account.  So I got in touch with ID via the online chat to find out what was going on.When I explained to the person on the other end of the chat what had happened.  They said that it been processed as a new account but not an upgrade.  They asked me if I knew the new number and I say no because it was an upgrade and we were using my wife’s old number and sim card.  I didn’t even have a new sim.  They checked the usage on the new number to confirm it hasn’t been used and it was clear.  You would think there was an easy solution but no.  I was told you can’t transfer phone numbers from one ID account to another ID account.  I could cancel the new account but I would have to pay a cancellation fee if I wanted to keep my wife’s old number even though it was an upgrade gone wrong.  So we are was stuck with the new number, but I can’t cancel the old number as we don’t have sim card for the new number as my wife wouldn’t be able to use her phone.  So they are sending me a new sim card which we will have to wait for.  Also I have been charged for an account I didn’t even know about because it was suppose to be an upgrade.   The person on the other end of the chat tried to help be couldn’t and said they would send out a new sim card.  They informed me that the problem would be passed up the ladder to see if they can merge the two accounts.  

I am not happy at all.  I do remember there was a few problems with the website at the time but at the minute I am out of pocket through no fault of my own.  I will see what happens in the new few days and if I not happy, my three accounts with ID will be no more.  

icon

Best answer by Will 5 November 2020, 14:40

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @ecirpnai 

From the sounds of what you’re telling us there you had simply purchased a brand new 24-month contract from our website there instead of doing an Upgrade from within the account specifically that you wanted to upgrade.

Unfortunately we’d not be able to merge two iD Mobile accounts, so the ideal scenario here will be to cancel the unwanted account itself.  Is that in your own name though?  Or is it under the name of your wife?

If it’s under the name of your wife, could you have her register and post a reply here?  We'll need to speak to her directly in order to make changes on that account see due to data privacy laws.

If she is looking to keep that old number.  Then the only way she could do that would be for her to move the number away from iD Mobile (to a Pay As You Go SIM with another provider).  Then once that is done, she could move the number from the other provider over to her newer iD Mobile account.

Hi Kevin

If you have another read of my post you’ll see that I followed the Upgrade link on the account page.  I didn’t as you put it “simply purchased a new 24-month contract”.  Also all the accounts are in my name which I stated at the beginning of the post.  Also the number changing idea to me is a none started I am afraid and my wife’s reaction like mine was “you are joking”.   

I can’t cancel any accounts as yet because if I cancel my wife’s original account, she won’t be able to use her phone as it has her original sim card in it. Remember we don’t have a sim card for the extra account, as I said in the first post.  My wife like a lot of people need their phone especially now with COVID-19 as she suffers from MS and is in a wheelchair.  So I am waiting for the new sim so I can decide what to do.  I have not used that new account as I have said before in the first post because I didn’t know it existed.  I can’t even log in into it.  Apart from you, I have not heard anything from ID on any of the accounts regarding this.  No calls, texts, emails, nothing.  I would like to actually speak to someone, which you would think for a mobile phone company would be easy but not with ID.  I am not happy.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @ecirpnai,

We’ll send you a Private message now so we can look into this for you, and at the very least, hurry that SIM card along.

Will

I can’t believe I’m reading the exact same scenario as I’m trying to resolve. I clicked on the upgrade link and was told I had opened a new account. I spotted there were 2 direct debits within the cancellation period, but once again I was told if I wanted to keep my number I would have to return my phone and cancel the contract. I have done this and have had no phone for a week. The agent in the complaints dept did not explain to me what happens next. I cannot check the 2nd contract online as I have no access to it. I don’t know if I’ve to apply for another upgrade or if my phone will be returned to me as an upgrade. Cannot speak to anyone on the live chat as there is NEVER an agent available. Have emailed the complaints dept twice to ask when my upgraded phone will arrive. So frustrating that you cannot speak to someone directly on the phone.

I had a Sim only deal and decided I would like a new phone. I clicked on the upgrade link and ordered my phone which duly arrived with a new Sim. After a week I realised I seemed to have 2 accounts. I eventually had to raise a complaint as it was the only way I could get a conversation going. I was told I had opened a new account. I spotted there were 2 direct debits within the cancellation period, but was told if I wanted to keep my number I would have to return my phone and cancel the contract. I have done this and have had no phone for a week. The agent in the complaints dept did not explain to me what happens next. I cannot check the 2nd contract online as I have no access to it. I don’t know if I’ve to apply for another upgrade or if my phone will be returned to me as an upgrade. Cannot speak to anyone on the live chat as there is NEVER an agent available. Have emailed the complaints dept twice to ask when my upgraded phone will arrive. No reply as yet. So frustrating that you cannot speak to someone directly on the phone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @Janiepie59 

If you had your old account registered with iD Mobile and you had selected either a Plan Change or Upgrade on that number. then you would always retain the number whilst changing your tariff -or- receiving a new phone and entering another 24 month contract.

It sounds from what you’re describing above that you have simply gone and purchased a new contract which would have it’s own number and would be it’s own separate entity.

Have you spoken to our Live Chat Team again since posting here?  

If not, and you need us to contact you to assist with a return/ cancelling the old contract.  Then please let us know and we’ll send a private message in that case.

As mentioned before the problem is I clicked on the upgrade link and was sent a phone with a new contract, why would anyone order a new contract when they had an existing one.  I did try and tell your agent that from the complaints dept but like you he just wasn’t listening and wasn’t prepared to acknowledge there was a problem with your software when people are applying for an upgrade. That’s why the original poster has entitled it ‘upgrade beware’. You cannot for life or money get an available agent In live chat so that’s not an option either. I have managed to resolve this problem through complaints dept. They were not accepting there is a problem with your upgrade function they wanted to lay the blame at my feet saying I must have applied for a new contract. More than a week without a phone but the upgrade system worked this time my new phone arrived this evening. No thanks to customer services

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Janiepie59 you claiming I wasn’t listening is a matter of opinion, so I’m not going to respond to that.  As for the Live Chat Team, if you had placed a new order instead of an upgrade then they should have no doubt helped you return your “new” order so that you could attempt to do the upgrade on your old number as you had originally wanted.

An advantage of the community here is that in most cases when something happen that you need help with, you’ll be able to locate the same scenario here and find instructions of what to do or get the help you need if you’re in the same boat.

The upgrade option on our website is working perfectly fine.  There is no known issues with it recently or currently, otherwise rest assured this iD Community would be an ocean of topics on that subject.  When out of the thousands of orders placed each day, it’s rare we see this sort of mistake.

It’s likely that on whatever device you were placing the order on that you might have logged out of your account or followed a link that took you away from the upgrade page.  Though without us having watched over your purchase experience it’s impossible for us to state where things went wrong.

Nevertheless, we’re very sorry you had a bad experience there.

Thank you it’s all sorted now. I did try for 48 hours to contact an agent on your live chat and wasn’t successful. There was never an agent available with no way of queuing. 
Your complaints dept told me by email I would be reimbursed for the postage returning the new contract. I cannot tell if this has been done as I have no way of checking this invoice online. It looks like I have been charged on a pro rata basis for the contact with no deductions. I have emailed the complaints dept twice and had no response. I still think if you click on the upgrade link you should get an upgrade with no deviation in the link

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

To the best of my knowledge there isn’t a deviation when following the Upgrade link @Janiepie59 

In hindsight, it would have been ideal to be watching over your shoulder so to speak to try and catch step by step where anything changed.

My only guess would be if you had opened up multiple tabs to compare numerous phones, or if had clicked “back” and gone far enough out that you were no longer looking at upgrades at that point.  It’s hard to say in hindsight.

We’ll send you a private message though from our side so that we can look at the refund on the returned phone, and ensure the postage is covered too if that’s not already in motion.

Simply click on your profile icon in the top right, then go to your private messages.

As requested here is the email, it doesn’t say I need to retain my receipt to be reimbursed for my postage expenses. It also doesn’t tell me what my next step should be either I just had to figure it out for myself

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Janiepie59

We’ll be picking this up via Private message and working to resolve this from there.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?