Question

Accessing AVN settings for roaming on iPhone SE 2022 (3rd generation)

• 3 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I have recently switched to iD and am going abroad in a little under 2 weeks. I have looked at the roaming guidance and made sure roaming is turned on for my device (both in the iD app and my phone’s own data settings). The guidance recommends you also double-check the APN settings to make sure they are correct. I have an iPhone SE 2022 (3rd generation) and to do this it advises you to go through these menu options:

Settings > Mobile/Cellular Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network > Check current APN settings match those shown above.

I can get as far as “Mobile Data Options”  but the menu called “Mobile Data Network” does not appear within that menu.

I went online with iD live chat and their best advice was to go my nearest Currys for technical support.

Just wondering first if anyone has had this issue and if they have any solutions. From doing a bit of digging it does seem like perhaps certain networks do not allow you to access this menu but if iD themselves are telling you to do it that seems odd, unless there is a restriction on my particular phone model for some reason.

Many thanks for any advice

Brian

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @BrianR, I’ve started to notice this more and more in the past couple of months, so perhaps it’s something Apple have locked out in their most recent software update. 

Have you been abroad whilst on iD Mobile before? In all honesty, you shouldn’t face any problems as these things are automated and the correct settings are flashed into the firmware by default.

We only suggest checking the APN settings as an advanced step in case they’ve been changed previously, but in 99.9% of cases (in the colloquial sense; don’t quote me on that!) it’s not something you actively need to do.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @BrianR, I’ve got an iPhone 13 mini, running iOS 15.5.

For iPhones, I think the APN settings are controlled solely by the carrier (iD Mobile).

Tap Settings > General > About - then scroll down to PHYSICAL SIM section.

Mine iPhone shows I’m using “iD 50.0” against “Network Provider”.

I believe the APN is set within the “iD 50.0” carrier settings, which are not accessible to you and I.

Userlevel 1

Thank you Rory and andewhite for your replies - not sure how to respond to you individually, so replying to you both here.

Rory - I haven’t been abroad with iD before as I have only just switched to them - so hopefully all will be well with my existing APN settings - I certainly have never changed them! 

andewhite - I also have iD 50.0 as my network provider. So if you’re right and iD control it then hopefully that means there will be no issues!

Thanks both once again , I think that’s put my mind at rest.

Brian

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thank you@Rory and@andewhite for your replies - not sure how to respond to you individually, so replying to you both here.

@andewhite - I also have iD 50.0 as my network provider. So if you’re right and iD control it then hopefully that means there will be no issues!

Thanks both once again , I think that’s put my mind at rest.

Brian

The online Apple support article https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201699 states:

You could try asking iD, as Apple recommend, but the online chat team pretty much deal with account and billing issues - a technical enquiry, such as your APN question, isn’t really their forte.

My own experience is that iD Mobile handle technical enquiries better on social media via facebook and Twitter.

Userlevel 1

Thanks again andewhite, I’m guessing reading through that guidance, the most likely explanation is that iD control the settings and don’t allow access, especially when coupled with your earlier insight that the APN is controlled by the carrier settings as indicated by having “iD 50.0” against “Network Provider”. So hopefully means all is OK. Thanks for looking into it though, I might try posting on Twitter to see if iD respond.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks again andewhite, I’m guessing reading through that guidance, the most likely explanation is that iD control the settings and don’t allow access, especially when coupled with your earlier insight that the APN is controlled by the carrier settings as indicated by having “iD 50.0” against “Network Provider”. So hopefully means all is OK. Thanks for looking into it though, I might try posting on Twitter to see if iD respond.

Yes, good idea - try asking iD Mobile on Twitter - I’m sure iD will respond, but ultimately your enquiry is almost certain to go to their tech team.

The social media team are not 24/7, but do pick up any enquiries that are sent out-of-hours.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Thanks a lot andewhite, I’ll let you know if I get any kind of definitive answer😏

Why iD Mobile?