Question

Apn abroad

• 16 August 2018
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello I am abroad on I’d mobile on an iPhone 6. I cannot roam. I have configured phone and I’d account to allow roaming. I see forum suggests manually configuring apn settings but it appears I’d sim has removed ability to alter or wipe apn settings. Help!

33 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Jackpease,

Your phone may need to be connected to the correct network in order for our services to work properly. Do you mind telling us what country you're in and which network your phone is connecting to? Thanks.

Ryan
Userlevel 1
Thanks. It was Montenegro - (back late last night). The answer to this seems to be that the roaming charge quickly ramped up but ID chose not to tell me eg with text but most particularly I kept checking my balance and it showed no evidence of blocking or roaming charges until 48 hours after it happened. Shoddy. thanks jack
Have just returned from France and my iPhone 6s Plus on iD was unable to roam and use the data network. Telephone usage OK but unable to connect to internet. Like Jackpease I have configured phone and iD account to allow roaming. Looked at Forum suggestions but manually configuring apn settings is not possible/allowed as it appears iD sim has removed ability to alter or wipe apn settings. No APN settings seen on the phone.

Good 4G coverage, so rather disappointed.

Please advise
Have just returned from France and my iPhone 6s Plus on iD was unable to roam and use the data network. Telephone usage OK but unable to connect to internet. I have configured phone and iD account to allow roaming. Tried rebooting the phone resetting network settings!
Looked at Forum suggestions but manually configuring apn settings is not possible/allowed as it appears iD sim has removed ability to alter or wipe apn settings. No APN settings seen on the phone.

Good 3G and 4G coverage, so rather disappointed.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Post merged as discussion regarding topic already exists.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Have just returned from France and my iPhone 6s Plus on iD was unable to roam and use the data network. Telephone usage OK but unable to connect to internet. Like Jackpease I have configured phone and iD account to allow roaming. Looked at Forum suggestions but manually configuring apn settings is not possible/allowed as it appears iD sim has removed ability to alter or wipe apn settings. No APN settings seen on the phone.

Good 4G coverage, so rather disappointed.

Please adviseThanks. It was Montenegro - (back late last night). The answer to this seems to be that the roaming charge quickly ramped up but ID chose not to tell me eg with text but most particularly I kept checking my balance and it showed no evidence of blocking or roaming charges until 48 hours after it happened. Shoddy. thanks jack

Hello @Jackpease & @Freda Checks

The APN settings are something embedded in the handset not at the networks ends so we could/would not remove this ability.

Some iPhone models don't have the ability to amend APN settings.

In these cases, they have Network Profiles instead.

What I've commonly found is if you go to Settings > General > Profiles

You'll see network profiles here which work like APN settings.
In most cases, you may still have network profiles from previous networks like Vodafone, BT, EE etc.

These need to be deleted fully and once done, you can restart the handset and Roaming should start working for you.

I know you may have returned to the UK but if you could take a look to ensure there aren't any previous network profiles stored here?

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
I'm in france with Samsung galaxy s6 & visit regularly. No problem previously with data roaming. Arrive tonight to find the phone is roaming but no data. I've restarted the phone, disabled/re-enabled data roaming, changed networks all not having any effect.

Help!
Hi Mohammed
Thanks for getting back to us.

My iPhone 6s Plus does not have Profiles as you suggested.

Anywhere else we can look?

rgds

Freda
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I'm in france with Samsung galaxy s6 & visit regularly. No problem previously with data roaming. Arrive tonight to find the phone is roaming but no data. I've restarted the phone, disabled/re-enabled data roaming, changed networks all not having any effect.

Help!

Hey @London-cat
I believe yours was resolved by updating the APN settings from looking at your other topic.

Hi Mohammed
Thanks for getting back to us.

My iPhone 6s Plus does not have Profiles as you suggested.

Anywhere else we can look?

rgds

Freda

Unfortunately not, we may need to get this raised further.

Can you confirm you've done all of the following:

Turning on Roaming in the phone
Turning on Roaming in your iD account
Manually connecting to a network on your phone
Configuring the APN settings
Or
Deleting old network profiles

The last steps you cant test is trying your SIM in another phone to verify that it's not the SIM/network that's at fault.

Are you able to do this?

Mohammed
Hi Mohammed

Turning on Roaming in the phone - done
Turning on Roaming in your iD account - done
Manually connecting to a network on your phone - done
Configuring the APN settings - unable to access APN settings

You may have to take this further as other users are obviously affected.

Regards

Freda
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hi Mohammed

Turning on Roaming in the phone - done
Turning on Roaming in your iD account - done
Manually connecting to a network on your phone - done
Configuring the APN settings - unable to access APN settings

You may have to take this further as other users are obviously affected.

Regards

Freda

Thanks for confirming this,

Reading above I can see you advised that you've returned to the UK now.

There wouldn't be much we can do to test this unless you were still Roaming in France but will keep this logged here should there be others with the same issue.

Mohammed
Hi there,

I have read the above and have tried all of the tests and settings changes to the best of my knowledge, still can't get roaming data.

It would be great to actually be able to use the plans features, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I have an oppo rs plus and I am in main land Spain.
Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Longtallamy,

Are your calls and texts working fine? Because if not, the data roaming feature might need to be activated on your iD account as well as it being enabled within your phone.

If it is just your data that is not working, we would advise deleting all APN settings within your phone and adding a new one using the below details:

Name iD
APN id
Username
Password
MMSC http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc
MMS Proxy mms.idmobile.co.uk
MMS APN Username
MMS APN Password
MMS Port 8799
* anything with should be left empty

Once this has been done, save the APN and make sure its activated on the next page.

Ryan
"Reading above I can see you advised that you've returned to the UK now.

There wouldn't be much we can do to test this unless you were still Roaming in France but will keep this logged here should there be others with the same issue."

Hi Mohammed
Off to France again next week and will try for data roaming again!

Will not be resetting Network Settings as that lost all my passwords last time and still did not solve the problem.

I will let you know the outcome but I think this is an iD issue rather than handset related!

Regards

Freda Checks
Hi Mohammed
Now in France and no data access!https://
Notification as before. Same with all four telephone networks (Orange, SFR, Free and Bouygues)

Have just tried with my GiffGaff SIM card and all is working perfectly.

So there is a problem with your system, not my phone!

Please sort this out!

Many thanks

Freda Checks
https://
I’m in France too and can’t get my iD mobile sim to connect to internet, Partners EE chip is working fine. Been struggling to connect since Sunday and can’t seem to work out how you can contact anyone to fix this. Real problem for me as I’m here for 6 weeks with no internet.
My backup GiffGaff SIM is working perfectly here in France.
Perhaps need to rethink the continued use of iD!
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Hi @Freda Checks

(I replied to a topic separately by @Brooks earlier but this may come in handy for you (Freda) and any others who come by this topic in future perhaps...)

Here are a couple of common things this could be

• Try manually connecting to a different network than the one you're phone is connecting to automatically. Sometimes a phone can choose the wrong network for full roaming compatibility.
  • Be sure to check that roaming/ data roaming is turned on within your phone's settings.
  • Be sure to delete any profiles under your network settings that relate to any previous network provider (this can cause conflicts), if GiffGaff works on the phone, but not iD then it's possible some Giffgaff settings are lingering within that are potentially causing a conflict for the iD SIM.

If you have the option to enter APN settings in your phone, then ensure they're as follows:

Name: iD
APN: id
Username:
Password:

MMSC: http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mms.idmobile.co.uk
MMS APN Username:
MMS APN Password:
MMS Port: 8799

* anything with should be left blank
Hi Kevin

if you read my message above you will see that I have already tried using each of the French networks with iD. All have failed with my iD SIM
My GiffGaff SIM works perfectly.
With GiffGaff my Mobile Data Network settings are as follows:

I will now try to replace my GiffGaff SIM with my iD SIM and report back.

Regards

Freda Checks
With my GiiffGaff card in I see this.. and am able to
select Mobile Data Network and see my GiffGaff APN settings as shown in message above.

When I replace the GiffGaff card with my ID card I see this and Network has been selected automatically BUT no Mobile Data Network showing after Network Selection.

Come on iD perhaps you should check your data contracts with other providers.

You are letting us European travellers down and somebody should come clean about this problem.

Freda Checks

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Freda Checks,

Have you tried resetting the settings shown in the following screenshot?

Does this have any effect?

The issue described appears to be due to handset settings not being configured properly.

You've confirmed that the device does allow Roaming as GiffGaff works okay.
iD Roaming also works as you're connected when Roaming, but not able to use data.

Are you able to test the iD SIM in another handset?

Mohammed
With my iD card in I am not able to access the mobile data settings shown above (for giffgaff).

My ID card does not see/allow Mobile Data Network so am unable to change any settings. These settings are only seen when my GiffGaff card is in the phone!
Hi, just tried my ID card in my wife's iPhone 6s and unable to access Mobile Data Network to view any settings (Mobile Data Network option not showing).

So European roaming data not available on my SIM, so faulty SIM. Or European roaming not working on iPhone 6. Or, iD do not support European data roaming.

Over to you.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Freda Checks,

This is definitely a strange issue as we do support data roaming within Europe. By switching SIM cards within the phone, this can cause one of them not to work as the internet settings will install automatically and has the potential to not change when the switch happens.

Please can you take the SIM card out of the phone, and with it out, please perform a reset of the network settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Once the phone restarts, stick the iD SIM card into the phone and then restart the phone. Once done, test the internet to see what happens.

Doing this will remove all saved Wi-Fi settings from the phone. I understand that you may have reset the settings already, but trying it in this way might help sort out this issue.

Ryan
Hi Ryan

Already tried this a couple of times before at the request of Mohammed😱 All it did was to delete all of my saved passwords and not help with the APN issue!

Sadly not able to help you further as am back in the UK now.

However you should be aware that with my ID card in the phone both in France

the UK I am unable to view Mobile Data Network in Settings!

Why iD Mobile?