Solved

Billed for calling in EU - Madeira

• 30 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I am currently in Madeira (Portugal) and have made a few calls to local numbers in Madeira. I have been charged for these calls, but my understanding is that the calls should have been free/only come out of my minutes as if I were in the UK making calls to standard numbers in the UK. Please can someone confirm if I have misunderstood? 

Thanks

Steve

icon

Best answer by Kevin 2 October 2020, 17:24

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello there @Steve8 

Technically speaking Madeira should be covered under the inclusive roaming, yes.  

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming

My only guess here could be that at some point whilst you’re there you have gone out of reach of any Maderia based mobile networks and have connected to potentially either a Maritime service or potentially one in Africa.  This would only ever happen if perhaps you were either out on a boat, or potentially somewhere really remote in Madeira without local island signal.

If you have a cap on your account you can prevent any high outside of plan charges landing on your account through logging into your account and setting a cap there.  When out on a boat or on a plane, be sure to turn off roaming to prevent any background data potentially happening from your phone trying to connect online.

Userlevel 1

Hi Kevin, 

Thanks for your response and trying to help. All the calls were made on land from the heart of the capital (Funchal). And I’ve already set a cap, but appreciate you mentioning it just in case. 

I’ll try live chat with customer services, but wanted to check here first that there wasn’t something obvious I was missing.

Cheers

Steve

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Steve8, I was in Madeira just last month (took the Funchal cable car!) and didn’t have any issues like you describe, so I wouldn’t say it’s normal. Let us know how you get on with the Live Chat team!

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Hi Kevin and Rory, 

Yes, that Funchal cable car just about goes overhead where I am. The Live Chat bot could not help, but the human was excellent. The charges have been checked and confirmed as I shouldn’t have been charged. I should be hearing from the ID finance team by text in the next couple of days. The delay in my response here was me getting round to using Live Chat, not ID Mobile. 

Thanks again to you both

Steve

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

That’s certainly strange.  You should only ever be charged for roaming unless your phone had (momentarily as it may have been here) connected to a network that wasn’t one that would be inclusive to your EU roaming.

Nevertheless, we’re happy to hear things are sorted @Steve8 

Just get back in touch here if you need us to chase anything up.

Why iD Mobile?