Solved

Can't call an 0800 number when in Spain?

• 3 September 2018
  • 14 replies

I am in Spain and have roaming enabled, but I don't seem to be able to call an English 0800 number even if I use the country code and leave off the first zero. Any ideas?
icon

Best answer by Ryan 25 July 2021, 14:57

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Rab,

Welcome to the iD community.

I've moved your topic to the section Coverage, international & roaming and renamed this for clarity.

Have you read our Roaming topic here?

This provides some of the required steps to set up your phone for abroad and may have the answer you're looking for.

Failing that, can you confirm if you can send texts?

Make sure you're using +44 instead of the 0.
There was once a customer who was dialling 44 but did not add the + which was required to connect the call correctly.

Mohammed
Hi Mohammed, the phone is fine for roaming in general and the correct country code is being used and works for landline and mobiles, but we get an error message when we try to call 0800 numbers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hi Mohammed, the phone is fine for roaming in general and the correct country code is being used and works for landline and mobiles, but we get an error message when we try to call 0800 numbers.

Hey @Rab,

Very strange indeed.

What error code are you receiving?

Mohammed

I have the same issue. I've tried 0044 and +44 and each time I get an automated response saying “Sorry your service does not allow access to this number “.

I'm trying to call Electricity North West but it appears to happen on all 0800… But my work UK Vodafone phone doesn't have this problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Wibbsy 

Please can you confirm which country you are in at the moment ?

Are you able to call and texts other numbers OK?

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

In Spain. Yes can call other UK numbers fine...Just not 0800.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Wibbsy,

That does sound unusual. What device is it you’re using? Have you tried powering down the handset for 10 minutes?

Also, have you got WiFi calling enabled? If so, could you try disabling that for us please?

Will

No wifi calling; no dial assist enabled. iPhone 12 Pro.

Tried turning off and on and tried other networks… still nothing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Oki doke @Wibbsy,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Will

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Just to clear up any confusion regarding calling an 0800 number whilst in Spain, you will not be able to do this I’m afraid. Our roaming page states: “The following numbers are blocked while roaming: premium numbers (starting with 118, 09, 070), non-premium non-geographic numbers (084, 087) and free numbers (080)”

You can read more here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/

Ryan

Hi 

How can I still ring 0800 from my ID number? 

This should not be blocked as lots of companies only have free phone to reach them. What if I turn the roaming off on my phone?

It is important as customers are not able to communicate with their providers

Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Freephone numbers are only free to call from within the UK. Most companies provide a +4401, +4402 or +4407 number to call when outside the UK for this very reason.

Ok but even if it's only free from the UK we should be bael to ring them for a charge?

I don't think I have the numbers provided by you for the company I need to speak to urgently.

Any way I can go around it?

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Doravarga 

Have you tried calling the number(s) after your bill cap having been raised above £0 if it’s set to that?

The 0800 number may only be callable from the UK.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?