Solved

Data allowance abroad

Recently switched to ID from 3, thinking I could use the majority of my 100gb data allowance when away in France. I was under the impression that I could use it as I would in U.K. as long as it wasn’t for more than 4 months at a time. Have I misunderstood and am restrained by a fair usage cap? Thanks

icon

Best answer by andewhite 4 July 2022, 11:22

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes @Alan Mitchell, the iD Mobile fair usage policy applies when using roam like at home.

Have a look at the “Fair usage & open data policies” section of the iD web site, where there’s on online calculator to help work out your data allowance, when using the inclusive EU roaming feature of your plan.

Good luck.

Just had a reply to this question from an ID representative and they confirm that the fair usage cap only comes in if you are away for over 4 months. This means I can use the full allowance when away in Europe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Alan Mitchell 

As the fair usage policy shows on the page it will only come into play once you’ve been roaming for 4 months. This’ll be based on the price of your plan and not how much data you get on the plan!

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Just had a reply to this question from an ID representative and they confirm that the fair usage cap only comes in if you are away for over 4 months. This means I can use the full allowance when away in Europe.

Umm… okay @Alan Mitchell and @Tom, this seems a bit of a grey area to me.

The relevant sentence in the fair usage policy is: “But if you roam more than you use your phone at home (we mean in the UK) over a 4-month period, we might think you’re permanently roaming.

Does this mean that over any given 4-month period, if you’re roaming for more than 2-months in the given 4-month period instead of being in the UK, the fair usage limit applies?
And even then, iD may not think you’re permanently roaming.

Shouldn’t it say something like - if you roam for more than 4 months without using your phone in the UK for at least 7 days, we might think you’re permanently roaming.

I think iD Mobile need to review how fair usage is worded - it appears ambiguous, whatever the iD agents might say. 

Why iD Mobile?