Sticky Tutorial

How to prepare your phone for a trip abroad

• 20 March 2018
  • 50 replies
How to prepare your phone for a trip abroad
Userlevel 8
Badge +3
If you want to use your iD phone abroad, you’ll need to make sure that roaming’s enabled on your account. Here’s how to do this:

• Select ‘Services’.

• Toggle ‘Roaming’ on.

How to use Inclusive Roaming

All iD Mobile plans come with Inclusive Roaming. It lets you roam like at home in 50 destinations throughout the EU, EEA and beyond. The minutes, texts and data you use simply come out of your remaining monthly allowances*.

To use Inclusive Roaming you simply need to:

1. Enable roaming (see above).

2. Visit any of our 50 Inclusive Roaming destinations (see below).

3. Use your phone. Minutes, texts and data will come out of your remaining monthly allowances*.

Inclusive Roaming covers these 50 destinations: Austria, Azerbaijan, Azores, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Réunion, Romania, Saint-Barthélemy, Saint-Martin, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Vatican City.

* Exceptions apply - see our Inclusive Roaming page for more information on our Fair Usage Policy, Open Data Policy, and the difference between Band 1 and Band 2 destinations.

*If you're in the United Kingdom this would not be considered roaming*

How to save data when you’re abroad

To save data when you’re abroad, you should take advantage of reliable Wi-Fi connections. Hotels and resorts often allow free access to guests, and Wi-Fi is often available in libraries, coffee shops and other public places.
We always advise customers who connect to Wi-Fi either at home or abroad to ensure that their mobile data is switched off, so that all data traffic goes via Wi-Fi only.

Do add-ons work abroad?

You can use add-ons in any of our 50 Inclusive Roaming destinations. So if you're ever running low on allowance, you can buy what you need with your iD Mobile app or My Account online.

But please be careful – if you're in a destination where we don't offer inclusive EU roaming, your add-ons won't work and you'll be charged at our roaming rates for any usage.

How to access your voicemail when you’re abroad

To access your voicemail when you’re abroad, you’ll need your voicemail PIN - so make sure you can remember it. Then when you want to listen to your voicemail, follow these simple steps:

1. Dial 123 from your iD mobile, or +447782 333 123 from any other phone.

2. Enter your PIN followed by the # key.

3. Select option 2 and listen to your voicemail.

The cost of using voicemail abroad will come out of your minutes if you’re in one of our 50 Inclusive Roaming destinations. If you've got no minutes left, or you're in another destination, you’ll be charged the same rate as calling the UK from that destination. For more details, check out our International & Roaming Charges page.

If you’ve got any questions, comments or top tips on using your phone abroad, please post a reply.

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
A great topic by @Nikhil P,

I'd like to add to this just slightly if you don't mind.

Why can't I call out any numbers?

When you're Roaming, it's important that you're using the correct dial code for calling numbers.
If you're calling a UK number, you'll need to make sure that you're using +44 instead of a 0.

For example, 0777 123 4567 would be +44777 123 4567

Turning on Data Roaming on your handset

Data Roaming would also need to be turned on in the handset.
The steps for this can vary for each handset but this is generally found in the Settings under Mobile Network.

If you're unsure, you can use our Get your settings tool which will guide you through this.
Just head to: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-your-settings/settings-tool

Then enter your handset make and model.

Click the Configure your phone manually tab and then Connectivity Settings.

Select How to enable Data Roaming from the list of results and follow the steps.

Highlighting each step will show a picture guide.

Configuring the correct Access Point Name (APN) settings.

You'll also need to ensure you're using the correct APN settings.

In most modern smartphones, when you first insert a SIM into the handset, settings are retrieved automatically from the network.

Since iD Mobile use Three UK masts, this can sometimes lead to the Three UK APN settings being retrieved.
They will work fine when in the UK, but when abroad, you may have issues roaming.

To fix this, just add a new APN with the correct settings as follows:

Name: iD
APN: id
Username:
Password:

MMSC: http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mms.idmobile.co.uk
MMS APN Username:
MMS APN Password:
MMS Port: 8799

* anything with should be left blank

If you're unsure how to do this, you can use the Get your settings tool from the link above and follow the steps found under Configuration Settings and then choose ID Internet Settings from the list.

Please note, not all handsets have the ability to configure APN settings.

If you have any further questions let us know below.

Mohammed
To be clear about data roaming, the apn settings are the same for all EU operators, and should be set to iD/id, irrespective of the apn of the partner network being accessed overseas. I have had several frustrating visits to the highstreet shops of different operators in different EU countries, asking them to get my data going on my oneplus3. They have fiddled with the apn settings, trying to set them to their own needs, without success so i had to buy a new SIM.

I did not try the fix of deleting the apn entry and entering a new one that I have read elsewhere, I always tried to modify the existing entry taken from the UK, which may have been my problem. So it has left me with the question, are the NAME and APN settings always the same: iD/id.

Thanks for any clarity.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
To be clear about data roaming, the apn settings are the same for all EU operators, and should be set to iD/id, irrespective of the apn of the partner network being accessed overseas. I have had several frustrating visits to the highstreet shops of different operators in different EU countries, asking them to get my data going on my oneplus3. They have fiddled with the apn settings, trying to set them to their own needs, without success so i had to buy a new SIM.

I did not try the fix of deleting the apn entry and entering a new one that I have read elsewhere, I always tried to modify the existing entry taken from the UK, which may have been my problem. So it has left me with the question, are the NAME and APN settings always the same: iD/id.

Thanks for any clarity.

Hello @davidxt,

Welcome to the iD Community.

It seems you are having problems with the One Plus 3 and getting the device configured for roaming abroad.

For One Plus devices (from personal experience too having owned one previously), deleting the APN and re-adding fixes any issues with the data not being able to be used.

If you could try this next time you're abroad and let us know how you get on?

In regards to your second question,

The above are case sensitive.

Name to be iD and APN to be id exactly as is written.

Hope this helps,

Mohammed
Using my phone Abroad
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Using my phone Abroad

Hello @gerwel,

Your created topic was too vague.

I've moved this here.

Please read the above topic for more information on using your phone abroad.

Mohammed
I'm in Spain and for some reason, I have no problem texting or calling but my data isn't working. Roaming is turned on on my phone and in the app, and I've tried creating a new APN. Essentially, when I turn my data on nothing happens, there's no sign that anything's doing anything and I can't load anything on it. I'm not really sure what else to do?
Hi,
I have been without Data since I arrived to France but I can still make call and receive sms.
I have roaming turned on in my phone settings AND in the iD app services.
I have also created a new APN settings as above, and tried to use different network, called the customer service, but nothing works. I have been like that for the last 3 days and running out of idea and patience...
I there anything else I can do to try to fix it?
Laurent.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
I'm in Spain and for some reason, I have no problem texting or calling but my data isn't working. Roaming is turned on on my phone and in the app, and I've tried creating a new APN. Essentially, when I turn my data on nothing happens, there's no sign that anything's doing anything and I can't load anything on it. I'm not really sure what else to do?

Hi @lightenthesky,

Can you send us a screenshot of the APN settings that you have installed within your phone so we can take a look?

Hi,
I have been without Data since I arrived to France but I can still make call and receive sms.
I have also created a new APN settings as above, and tried to use different network, called the customer service, but nothing works. I have been like that for the last 3 days and running out of idea and patience...
Laurent

Hi @Laurent,

As above, are you able to send us a screenshot of the APN settings that you installed?

Ryan

I'm in Spain and for some reason, I have no problem texting or calling but my data isn't working. Roaming is turned on on my phone and in the app, and I've tried creating a new APN. Essentially, when I turn my data on nothing happens, there's no sign that anything's doing anything and I can't load anything on it. I'm not really sure what else to do?Hi @lightenthesky,

Can you send us a screenshot of the APN settings that you have installed within your phone so we can take a look?

Hi,
Laurent
Hi @Laurent,

As above, are you able to send us a screenshot of the APN settings that you installed?

Ryan

Hi Ryan,
The issue has been resolved yesterday evening and seems to be ok so far.
Thanks for your support.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Hello there @Laurent

Could you try deleting that profile (clear all data), and re-entering the settings as:

Username:
Password:

MMSC: http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mms.idmobile.co.uk
MMS APN Username:
MMS APN Password:
MMS Port: 8799

* anything with should be left blank

Then try turning the phone off and on again to see if this helps the phone reconnect locally to a network there. If the network your phone automatically connects to does not work, please try to select one manually and let us know how you get on.

- Kevin
Hi all. Ive not been successful in being able to send sms or access data and I've just arrived in Austria. Currently using wifi to send this message.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 model. have a current APN setting which I can't edit. Ihave a discard option but this doesnt actually delete the settings.

Ive set up a new APN setting as per the instructions above but I am yet to be successful when I turn of my wifi. Images attached.

Thanks for any help offered.

Ed

Hi all, can anyone help on this? If not, where do I go to contact technical support please?

Thanks

Ed
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi Ebentall,

You can find the settings required here, https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-your-settings
You may also need to check on your phone settings that data roaming is enabled.

This is only related to data so calls and SMS should work when you are connected to the network in Austria, can you try sending a message to yourself?

-Phil
Userlevel 1
I have the same problem.

I have a Samsung Galaxy A5 and whenever I go abroad I have had to restore the APN to defaults and choose iD then reset my phone to get data working. Im currently in Spain and I had to do the same approach - which initially worked.

I received a software update yesterday and since then roaming has stopped working - I have tried the same approach of reseting my APN countless times and have also have created a new APN with the recommended settings (here) but to no avail - any help would be much appreciated!
Userlevel 1
Also when I go to SIM status i get the following

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @gerauf,

Looks like you're able to Roam for calls/texts.

Try deleting all of your current APN settings, restarting your device (including the removal of SIM/re-inserting) then add a new APN setting again with the settings from our website.

Make sure that Data Roaming is also turned on in the phone settings. You'll usually find that in the Mobile Data/SIM settings before the APN page.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Hey @Mohammed

Thanks for getting back to me but to be honest theres only so many times I can try reseting my APN settings before I go crazy. I have tried every single possible combination of resetting APNS, creating new ones, turning off my phone and taking out the sim card that can possibly be imagined!

Also on my phone - Samsung Galaxy A5, Oreo 8.0.0, Samsung experience 9.0 - you can't edit or delete the default APNs - in my case iD internet and 3 - only reset to default and then you get given the choice to choose between them (I've been choosing iD but I've also tried 3 a few times as well just because nothing else has worked)

Is there some way I can get more specific help otherwise I will have to leave iD as it has effectively made most of my phones applications useless as soon as I'm anywhere without wifi
Userlevel 1
Have solved the problem - well found a workaround, under General Management/Reset there is an option to reset network settings - this fixed my problem, hopefully others might be able to use this to fix there problems to.

Obviously it has wiped all my saved wifi passwords so it should be used as a last resort.

I would still like to know what the actual problem was...
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Have solved the problem - well found a workaround, under General Management/Reset there is an option to reset network settings - this fixed my problem, hopefully others might be able to use this to fix there problems to.

Obviously it has wiped all my saved wifi passwords so it should be used as a last resort.

I would still like to know what the actual problem was...

Hello @gerauf,

I'm glad that this has fixed the issues you were facing.

Unfortunately, just like yourself, there's not much more info I can provide on this.

There are different fixes that we'd recommend when it comes to resolving issues with Roaming or Mobile data.

Incorrect settings can often be the biggest. This is usually corrected by removing profiles or incorrect APN settings, but in this case, resetting the network settings must have refreshed the phone to retrieve the correct settings.

Mohammed
Hi,

I am currently on holiday in Bulgaria and I can't use my data here, but my calls and texts are fine.

I've turned on roaming from the app and on my phone but I still can't use my data.

I'm using an iPhone 6s.

There are no profiles installed on my phone, and there are no settings to change the APN or to view mobile data options.

I've set my mobile network manually, choosing Vivacom BG as it is the strongest network. The other two available networks are Telenor BG and Mtel.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @mkeshefkhan,

From your screenshot, everything does look to be in order. When in Bulgaria, you can use either the Vivacom network or Telenor in order to use our services.

What you can try is a network settings reset, which will force your phone to redownload any relevant network settings. If you head to Settings, Reset and then Reset Network Settings, this will start the process. Please note, this will not remove any data and will only remove any saved WiFi networks.

Let us know how you get on.

Ryan
Hi @mkeshefkhan,

From your screenshot, everything does look to be in order. When in Bulgaria, you can use either the Vivacom network or Telenor in order to use our services.

What you can try is a network settings reset, which will force your phone to redownload any relevant network settings. If you head to Settings, Reset and then Reset Network Settings, this will start the process. Please note, this will not remove any data and will only remove any saved WiFi networks.

Let us know how you get on.

Ryan

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have reset my network settings but still no luck in being able to use my data.

On other networks I have the option to change my APN settings through “Mobile Network Settings” - an option that isn’t available when I am using my iD sim.

Any other solutions?

Thanks, Mohammad
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi, if you've used your phone with any other network SIM, there can sometimes be profiles stored with cause an issue.
If you've already checked or deleted any please try restarting the phone with no SIM and then reinserting the SIM.

You may also be able to try Telenor so see if this makes any difference.
-Phil
Hi, if you've used your phone with any other network SIM, there can sometimes be profiles stored with cause an issue.
If you've already checked or deleted any please try restarting the phone with no SIM and then reinserting the SIM.

You may also be able to try Telenor so see if this makes any difference.
-Phil

I have checked and I have no profiles installed at all on my phone.

When using another SIM, I have an option for 'Mobile Data Network' settings, where I can change APN settings, but when I use my iD SIM, I don't have that option.

^ Using my iD SIM

^ Using any other SIM

I have also restarted my phone without my iD SIM and reinserted it, but nothing has changed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @mkeshefkhan,

Can you try using the other SIM to add the above APN settings and select these, then switch back to your iD SIM to see if this works?

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?