Solved

I'm moving to Spain for 2 years but will be returning to the UK every 4 months

• 27 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I’m moving to Spain soon to live for 2 years. But I’ll still return to the UK every 4 months, including an extended period of at least a month over August. Would it be possible to continue with ID mobile, or will I have to cancel my contract?

icon

Best answer by Ryan 14 July 2020, 15:46

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @SophieAK1,

When you’re moving abroad, are you going to be using your SIM abroad too?

We have a fair usage policy in place here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy which will prevent inclusive usage long term when abroad.

That said, as long as you carry on paying for services, the SIM will remain active so there’s no need to cancel & rejoin each time.

But it does mean that you’ll be charged even when you may not be using the service.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

I’m moving in September. I’m a bit confused because of an earlier answer to a similar question. Someone there wrote that ‘ Our plans are not intended to be used outside of the UK permanently, and any period longer than 4 months in one go may cause issues with the service that we provide. The SIM card would need to be used back in the UK occasionally to guarantee service.’ I plan on using my phone occasionally in the UK - at least every four months. But I would use it most of the time abroad.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @SophieAK1,

Sorry for any confusion, as long as you have ties back to the UK and the SIM card is used back in the UK frequently then there should be no issues faced. It’s just advised that as it’s a UK-bought contract, it should be mainly used in the UK.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Thanks Ryan. Is the 4-month policy still in effect given Covid? I was planning on returning to the UK for Christmas, but now I’m not sure I’ll be able to. But I don’t want to have to leave ID and lose my phone number.

Many thanks

Sophie

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

It is @SophieAK1,

It’s not something we can toggle on and off you see.

Cheers,

Will

Userlevel 1

Ok. How much use in the UK would be sufficient to keep it active? What if I posted my SIM card to someone in the UK to make a call with?

Userlevel 1

Alternatively, could I keep my number and move it to a PAYG plan? I need to keep a number in the UK for when I visit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @SophieAK1

As long as you have strong ties to the UK, such as a house etc, I believe this is something that can still be looked into.

Have you been given notification that you’ve been in Spain for too long and will be charged?

If not, I’d say just contact us when you do receive this and we’ll be happy to look into this further.

Covid-19 isn’t something anyone could have predicted either.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?