Solved

International texts

• 28 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I have ‘International’  included in my Services.  Have been texting and receiving texts from relative in Australia since beginning of January.  21 texts in total but can see that I have been billed for 28 texts.  Why?  Is it to do with the length of the texts?

icon

Best answer by Michelle 3 February 2021, 13:36

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Sue60,

This is highly likely to be due to sending a longer message. The limit for 1 SMS is 160 characters and after you have gone past this count, the phone will start a new SMS although when it’s received, it just looks like one long SMS message.

The next time you send a longer message, you can see if your usage increases by more than one SMS.

Does your friend use WhatsApp? If so, you could both download that app and then chat to each other with no additional charges. It also lets you send photos, videos and sounds with no charges too when using WiFi/Data allowance.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Thanks Ryan.  Just so I am clear - is that 160 character limit for all texts or just international?  I was not aware of it.  I know I sound like a complete ‘newbie’ now, but does the 160 include spaces?

Also did I get charged for receiving the international texts. If not that means I got charged for 28 SMS messages when I only sent 9!

I do not have WhatsApp but will look into downloading it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Sue60 

The 160 limit is for all text messages and the character limit will also include spaces within your message. 

You would only be charged for sending the message, there is no charge for receiving a text message.

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Userlevel 1

Okay.  Thanks Michelle.  Lesson learned then!   I’m not sure I remember seeing anything about this in the welcome info but at least I know now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

No worries @Sue60.

Please get back in touch if ever you need anything else.

Will

Why iD Mobile?