Question

Lichtenstein

Hello

I have arrived in Liechtenstein which is  listed as a 'roam from home' destination on ID website. I made sure may data was turned off before entering Lichtenstein. Once I turned it back on I quickly received a text saying I had used 80% of my out of plan charges.

I have spoken to live chat who said Lichtenstein is not part of the 50 countries where you can roam like you're at home and therefore I have been charged. This does not make sense to me. I still had data ect on my plan so know I have not gone over my limit.

Can anyone help as it's cost me £24 that I was not expecting 

Thanks 

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Roam like hone applies to 50 destinations in the EU and EEA - which according to the iD web site includes Liechtenstein.

Have a look at your iD billing, which will show you all the charges on your account.
You might need to dispute the data roaming charge in this case.

Good luck.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The iD roaming partner in Liechtenstein is Salt, but they’re also one of iD’s roaming partner’s in Switzerland.

No idea how you’d ensure the Salt mobile cell you were using was within Liechtenstein, given it’s such a tiny place.

Stick to Wi-Fi networks maybe - if you can?

Thanks for your help, I did wonder if it was picking up Switzerland as it is charging me at Switzerland rate.

Any idea how I'd dispute this? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You can try contacting iD using their online chat at https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat.

It’s best to contact iD between 9am - 8pm weekdays, and 9am - 6pm weekends. To chat with a real person type “talk to a person” after connecting.

If you have trouble with online chat, try contacting iD privately via facebook (Messenger) or Twitter (by direct message).

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @laceyrose 

If you’re connecting to a different countries signal or network I’d recommend connecting manually and not allowing your device to connect to networks automatically.

Let us know if you need your account looking into and we can message you!

Alternatively you can reach us on Facebook, Twitter or the Live Chat!

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Tom, given Salt is the only iD roaming partner in Liechtenstein, but also one of iD Mobile’s roaming partners in neighbouring Switzerland, how would you ensure the Salt cell you use in Liechtenstein is actually in Liechtenstein?

Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @andewhite, I believe the networks are usually suffixed with the country code after the name.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @andewhite, I believe the networks are usually suffixed with the country code after the name.

Thank you,

Rory

Thank you.

So the only way of avoiding roaming charges would be to manually select the roaming network.

Most people would probably not realise this was necessary when visiting one of iD’s 50 EU inclusive roaming destinations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andewhite 

In most cases automatic network selection works just fine, however as it connects to the strongest network possible, if you’re for example on the border of a country it could connect to the neighboring country’s signal mast automatically if it’s a stronger signal.

Tom 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @Tom - I’d suggest that’s definitely something happening in Liechtenstein - it’s such a tiny country. 

Thank you for you're response I have finally been able to log a complaint as Live chat as they were saying I have used up all my data when I hadn't which I why I was charged. A very long a frustrating process but hopefully I might get answers. Thanks for your comments about manually selecting a network I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll know for next time 

Why iD Mobile?