Solved

Living Abroad and cannot receive messages or calls for 6 months. Paying for no service at all

• 25 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi, myself and my wife are living in Sao tome and Principe, West Africa. And we havent been able to receive any text or call for 6 months.

I have turned on everything and it should be working but this is an issue that deserves utter attention has i need to access my bank!

Thank you

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 25 June 2021, 23:07

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

ID Mobile is a UK network and they have a fair usage policy in place here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy 

First paragraph:

Our fair usage policy has been designed to prevent misuse of our inclusive EU roaming feature, such as someone permanently roaming and not living in the UK.

I’d say you fit into the “permanently roaming and not living in the UK” category all right. 

ID Mobile is a UK network and they have a fair usage policy in place here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy 

First paragraph:

Our fair usage policy has been designed to prevent misuse of our inclusive EU roaming feature, such as someone permanently roaming and not living in the UK.

I’d say you fit into the “permanently roaming and not living in the UK” category all right. 

Talk about being unhelpful. Surely had an A+ in Geographics has you obviously know Africa is not included in the EU (European Union) roaming feature. The issue here, is texts or calls dont get through to this country.

My home is in UK, i have been flying over for work during these 6 months, and has soon as i set foot in the country i dont receive nothing at all, paid or unpaid.

Thanks for the solution though, keep up the amazing work.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You clearly stated in your original post that you and your wife are living in Sao tome and Principe, West Africa. The title of your post is “Living Abroad and cannot receive messages or calls for 6 months. Paying for no service at all”. My response was given based on the information YOU provided. 🤔

What you posted in your response to my post above is totally contradictory to what you posted the first time round and you wonder why you got an unhelpful reply? Roaming abroad long term is frowned upon by all the UK networks, doesn’t matter if you're using any included allowance such as free data, minutes, texts within the EU or paying per minute while standing in the middle of Canada paying extortionate per minute rates. Once you roam abroad for long periods of time (time period varies network to network) your SIM will eventually be barred.

However, if traveling from the UK to West Africa, you find that you get no service or unable to receive or make calls then make sure that Roaming is enabled on your account:

• My services > Roaming

As you will be incur charges for any calls, text and data that you use, make sure that you haven’t set a cap on your account too as this will prevent you making and receiving chargeable calls.

Another possibility is that you’ve reached your credit limit and as a result you can no longer make or receive chargeable calls, texts, data etc. If this is the case you could ask ID Mobile to increase your credit limit on your account.

Try speaking with live chat on the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat

Or, sit back and put your feet up and wait for one of the ID Mobile community staff to pop along and offer some help. Good Luck 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Khuzo,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you’re having whilst in São Tomé and Príncipe. I’ve checked our global roaming partners list and I’m not finding any matches for that country, so it is safe to say that we do not offer roaming in that destination. We apologise for the inconvenience caused by this.

Just a pointer, the flag button is for reporting any abusive posts that you may see so if a reply is not helpful, please only reply asking for further help rather than reporting the post. Thank you. 🙂

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?