Solved

Not registering with network when abroad

• 3 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Hello. Me and my friend just landed in Latvia and drove to Lithuania. We both use iD and have been unable to use our phones from the moment we landed. Neither of the phones (OnePlus 5t and Huawei) can register with a network, so we are unable to call, text or roam in either country. We checked if roaming feature is turned on our phones and iD app - it is. We tried to choose network manually - still not registering. Tried to just edit APN - no difference. Then deleted existing APN and created new one following headlines on this community - nothing. Bear in mind that phones were rebooted after every try. Also my friend has a dual sim card and the second, Lithuanian operator one, is working perfectly, so it's clearly iD problem.
I would appreciate any kind of advice given, because like this I cannot contact anyone. Live chat of iD is "too busy" and there is no other line to ask for quick advice.
Thank you.
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 6 August 2018, 16:33

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Greta12,

Sorry to hear you were having issues when Roaming in Lithuania.

Are you still abroad?

Can you test this again?

There seems to have been an issue with the network partner we use for coverage which was picked up before the weekend. We've been told that the issue is now resolved.

You may need to restart your handset, but let us know how you get on.

Mohammed
It seems you are still having problems there, as I have been charged extra for using data in Latvia - which should have been a part of EU roaming. I've had nonsense replies that I have (somehow manually) got onto a satellite network off Baltic sea shore; that I was in Ukraine; that you will sort it out. No, I didn't. No I wasn't. And you still haven't 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
It seems you are still having problems there, as I have been charged extra for using data in Latvia - which should have been a part of EU roaming. I've had nonsense replies that I have (somehow manually) got onto a satellite network off Baltic sea shore; that I was in Ukraine; that you will sort it out. No, I didn't. No I wasn't. And you still haven't :(

Hello @Lanahannah,

We wouldn't charge you for Roaming usage/data usage that has been incurred if this was included within your plan.

Often we find that customer's who travel abroad have "Automatic Network Selection" turned on by default (I also have this feature turned on).

This is just a smart phones way of automatically searching for available networks and connecting to the strongest network available.

In the UK, it'll always be your default network provider, in this case iD (and rarely your device may connect to Three UK).

But, when you go abroad, it'll connect to any available/supported networks for Roaming.

This is completely fine when the country in question is included in your Roaming but since your phone connects to the strongest networks, when you're near a countries border, it may default to a neighbouring network belonging to a different country leading to the charges being incurred. (Satellite networks are also not included in the Roaming usage).

Hope this helps provide some clarification on the matter.

Mohammed
Wow, that's great to know - AFTER it happened! And how the hell am I supposed to know which one is safe to use and which one isn't even if I do use manual choice roaming?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Wow, that's great to know - AFTER it happened! And how the hell am I supposed to know which one is safe to use and which one isn't even if I do use manual choice roaming?

Hey @Lanahannah,

This is why we ask our customer's to contact us prior to going abroad.

Let us know here if you need future support, we're able to check which networks we partner with in the countries you'll be visiting.

Mohammed
And what, you go through tens of different networks every time your phone gets a dropped connection? That sounds silly and cumbersome. And very not user friendly. Having said that, for network that only last month provided a fingerprint login to its app, that doesn't sound all that surprising 😞

Why iD Mobile?