Solved

Roaming in Tenerife

I am going to Tenerife for a week and don't want to get roaming charges.

Please advise.
icon

Best answer by Gregor 8 April 2019, 13:09

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @WilWel

Tenerife is part of Spain and Spain is included in 50 destination that you can use roaming without additional charges as long as you are within your allowance and won't use premium numbers. Enjoy your holidays 😊
Userlevel 1

Hello my daughter is in Tenerife right now and when I contacted ID Mobile they said because she is near the water, she will not have any signal at all.

She has to pay 30 euros hotel WiFi for a week so, that means when she's not in the hotel no connection still. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Wait what lol (“she is near the water”), they said that to you?

Has she logged in to her iD Mobile account and enabled the following two settings:

If Roaming and International are turned on, can you tell us what phone she is using?

Userlevel 1

Hi, thanks for your reply.  My daughter said she had the roaming on from her IPhone 11 already. But still no connection. 

Userlevel 2

We're in Tenerife right now and been sitting both on the beach and at the harbour, no problem at all with phone or data signal. Never heard of being near water causing a problem. 

Userlevel 2

Just a thought, usually my phone would connect to a Spanish network automatically when we get to Tenerife. This time it didn't even after a restart. I had to go into settings hit the networks button then the available list came up. I chose Yoigo and it connected. I think that may be why your daughter can't get any signal at all, she needs to manually connect to a network.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @misses S, jumping in to concur with the other posters - “she won’t get signal if she’s near water” is one of the most bizarre things I’ve heard from one of our staff. Sometimes, signal can be weaker in coastal areas, but I’d say that applies more to remote areas in the UK rather than somewhere like Tenerife, where the population is actually quite concentrated by the coast.

Your daughter will need to ensure that Roaming is enabled not just on her phone, but in her iD Mobile account, too. As you can see from @AndyLB’s reply, there doesn’t seem to be an issue with roaming in Tenerife, so it seems like this is down to your daughter’s settings. Please ask her to enable roaming in the iD Mobile app and the phone’s settings, then restart her phone.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Hi guys

Thanks very y, as Andy mentioned, my daughter finally managed to set it to..that and it's working now..

I appreciate all the input and yes that staff saying near the water was new to me as well,, He said because its not in mainland Spain and in an island thats why there was no connection. I've asked where in the ID Mobile website it was saying that and he said its not the but he just knew it, lol!! 😆

Anyway it's sorted and thanks again 

Mrs  S 😊

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @misses S, if you can confirm the name of the agent and the date and time of the chat, we’ll have that fed back to the Live Chat team.

Glad to hear your daughter’s up and running now!

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Hi, could someone possibly help please, daughter is in Tenerife and cant get her 4g to work, her phone and account both have roaming on it shows that she has 4g but it just wont work, it works ok with wifi when in the room, we have turned on and off both roaming features on phone and account, restarted phone and still nothing.  TIA :)

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi, could someone possibly help please, daughter is in Tenerife and cant get her 4g to work, her phone and account both have roaming on it shows that she has 4g but it just wont work, it works ok with wifi when in the room, we have turned on and off both roaming features on phone and account, restarted phone and still nothing.  TIA :)

Perhaps the APN value on your daughter’s phone is wrong @Debbie Alexander.

The APN value should be “id” (in lowercase). 

Userlevel 1

Ty @andewhite ive sent her that info, will update if it helps ty for your fast reply :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Ty @andewhite ive sent her that info, will update if it helps ty for your fast reply :)

Let us know if this works @Debbie Alexander,

She can also try going to the APN screen, tapping the 3 dots in the top right corner and then “Reset to Network Default”

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

@Mohammed tysm for your reply, have passed details onto daughter, she is still not getting any 4g so hopefully this will help.

Debbie

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Debbie Alexander,

Please let us know how she get’s on and we’ll see what we can advise further.

Mohammed

Hi I’m having the same issues can anyone help thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Liam Flynn,

Welcome to the Community!

Can you please confirm the issue you are having?

Is roaming enabled on the handset and the iD Mobile account?

Please can you also confirm the network you are connected to?

Kash

Hi kash thanks for taking the time to reply for some reason my location was saying Madrid when I’m in Tenerife I’ve switched that off now and that’s sorted the time and also for some reason on id I’ve got to lines personal and business and roaming was turned off on my personal line I’ve now sorted it thanks again 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Liam Flynn,

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know what the problem was.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?