Solved

SMS Error 28 sending to a non-UK number

• 1 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi, both my father and I are having trouble sending text messages from the UK to non-UK numbers. The error generated is Error 28. We're both on iD, I have a Hauwei Honor Play and my father has a Motorola Moto G4. International features enabled on both our accounts. He is unable to send messages to a friend in France, I cannot send to my uncle in Germany. I've checked that the numbers are correct and formatted correctly (i.e. country code is correct). Any ideas?

***edit***

Additionally I cannot call my uncle's German landline number from my phone in the UK - I get a voice message saying that I have used up my allowance? Is this because I have my out-of-allowance cap set to £0, and any calls/SMS to a foreign number are not included in the base allowance?
icon

Best answer by terrywebbs 1 January 2019, 13:51

View original

5 replies

Badge +10
Welcome to the ID Community,

You are right for the most part yes you may need to adjust the out of allowance cap for some numbers but not all.

Calling abroad from the UK is considered an international call and subject to international call charges (even if you're calling one of our Inclusive roaming countries). as detailed in the following link: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/international-and-roaming-charges

It is always good ideal to set a small cap limit on the account so you can use other services outside of the allowances, leaving it set at £0.00 will mean you wont be able to send picture messages etc.

Please also check and set up the following APN settings:
Manual APN Settings
Name iD
APN id
Username leave blank
Password leave blank
MMSC http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc
MMS Proxy mms.idmobile.co.uk
MMS APN Username leave blank
MMS APN Password leave blank
MMS Port 8799
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @SlowFiat,

Just to reiterate @terrywebbs point, those types of calls do carry an out-of-allowance charge, so having your additional usage cap set to £0 means that you can't use any service that carries an additional charge.

Try setting your cap to something small such as £5 and give it another try. 🙂

Ryan
I'm having the same problem. I've tried replying to a text message from my brother in Germany and all I get is an error "Can't send message with iD - error 28" and an option to retry.

My usage cap is set to £0, because I want to use only the included allowances and I want to avoid being charged for expensive non-exclusive numbers and so.

I thought that text messages to countries within Europe are included and should be free.

Why do I get this error?
Badge +10
@Dirksche

Calling abroad from the UK is considered an international call and subject to international call charges (even if you're calling one of our Inclusive roaming countries). as detailed in the following link: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/international-and-roaming-charges

It is always good ideal to set a small cap limit on the account so you can use other services outside of the allowances, leaving it set at £0.00 will mean you wont be able to send picture messages or make international calls etc.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Great Answer Terry.

In short: Calls/ texts to foreign numbers are chargeable.

-Phil

Why iD Mobile?