Solved

Travelling abroad can use calls and texts but no data

• 6 April 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
I have an Apple iPhone 6s and am currently in Italy. As with many other trips abroad, I can make and receive calls and texts but cannot get data. My data roaming is switched on on my phone and my account. APN is not an option on my phone and Profiles has no content. Having read some solutions elsewhere I have already reset my network settings in the uk before travelling to no avail. Interestingly I have been charged for data roaming though I have had no service - I did get close to Switzerland and I’m not sure if it may relate to that. I did switch data roaming off as we reached the Swiss side of the Matterhorn. I’ve never had a problem with any other provider. Any suggestions?
icon

Best answer by Stubai 13 June 2019, 09:18

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Stubai,

It sounds as though you have tried everything that we would run you through in order to get your data back up and running.

Have you ensured that your phone is running the latest iOS software? If so, then the only other thing we can recommend would be to either try the SIM card in another handset, or by resetting the iPhone 6S' software completely and testing the data connection when abroad.

Ryan
Userlevel 1
Thanks Ryan. I have the latest iOS and am reluctant to reset everything unless I have to of course. I got in touch with Support via a live chat yesterday and they are sending a new SIM card I find it strange that I can use mobile data roaming in chargeable areas but not in EU countries within my plan. So mobile data roaming does work - it seems it’s more to do with an iD setting relating to my plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Thanks Ryan. I have the latest iOS and am reluctant to reset everything unless I have to of course. I got in touch with Support via a live chat yesterday and they are sending a new SIM card I find it strange that I can use mobile data roaming in chargeable areas but not in EU countries within my plan. So mobile data roaming does work - it seems it’s more to do with an iD setting relating to my plan.

Hello @Stubai,

As you can make and receive calls/texts then Roaming seems to be working on the account so it's not an issue with the account here. If it hasn't already been done yet, turn ON Data Roaming in the handset settings.

Some phones seem to get the Three UK settings (as iD Mobile use Three UK for coverage). This works fine in the UK but causes issues when Roaming. Incorrect device settings would also impact your ability to Roam.

Have you tried a different handset at all?

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Thanks Mohammed. As indicated in my original post, Data roaming is on both on my handset and the phone and that appears to be why I was charged for data roaming just as I went into Switzerland which is outside of my plan. So clearly data roaming works when it’s chargeable, but not when it’s within my plan.

I’m going to try the new SIM card provided when i’m In Greece next month, but I haven’t tried a different handset. Perhaps worth a try, or trying my wife’s SIM card in my phone (she’s on Virgin Mobile).

Thanks for your suggestion
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
No problem Stubai, keep us updated.

That's very odd that you're able to connect when using out of plan usage only.

Let us know how you get on.

Mohammed
Hi
i have exactly the same problem with exactly the same phone. In addition I can’t connect to WiFi. The message is incorrect password but the password is correct on all other tablet and phone devices. Tried other WiFi spots elsewhere and same problem. What is the resolution to this reported problem. Many thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Mcareaveyd,

An issue with it not connecting to WiFi connections could be software related. Are there any software updates available? You can also try to reset your phones network settings to help with any connectivity issues. This can be done by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Please note, resetting them will cause all previous saved WiFi passwords to be lost so you'll just need to simply reconnect whenever possible.

Ryan
Userlevel 1
Having received a new SIM card (per my earlier post) my eu data roaming issue has been fixed - it worked perfectly in Rhodes last month! So it clearly was not any setting that I could change and I was sceptical that a new SIM would change anything, but hats off to Technical Support!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Having received a new SIM card (per my earlier post) my eu data roaming issue has been fixed - it worked perfectly in Rhodes last month! So it clearly was not any setting that I could change and I was sceptical that a new SIM would change anything, but hats off to Technical Support!

Hey @Stubai,

Glad to hear that a replacement SIM was the thing that fixed this, thanks for letting us know.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?