Solved

Unlimited data in Europe?

Will I be able to get unlimited data for my £20 a month when roaming in Europe?

icon

Best answer by Ryan 1 July 2021, 12:25

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Robertfruiter,

Is you current plan unlimited data? Where abouts specifically are you going?

Will

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Silky,

Unfortunately not sorry. After 4 months it’ll switch off automatically and nothing we or anyone else could do would be able to change that.

Will

Hi Will,

So whats the point in proving you have a link to the UK then, its pointless if your going to cut people off regardless. Also this is not what Ryan B told me on your chat service yesterday, he clearly stated that if you can prove you have a link with the UK ( bank statement etc ) then your service will be able to continue unaffected.

see chat below from yesterday:

steve: so If I prove I have a link ( bank statement ) will I be able to carry on using my phone after the 4 months
Ryan B:

Not to worry about that, as long as you contact us on the 4th month everything would work as normal.

steve: so in effect if you ask me for my bank statement after 4 months and I send this to you I can continue using my phone without any extra charges etc for as long as Im in Spain?
Ryan B:

That is 100% you will still be able to use your service like normal.

Will,

Ive just been back onto your chat service and spoken to Tayla, she has confirmed what Ryan B has told me and also stated the information you have given me on here is incorrect:

See Chat with Tayla:

steve: so if I send you my bank statement after 4 months I can continue to use my phone without being cut off ?
Tayla:

That is correct, Steve.
steve: ok, so your colleague “Will” has told me the wrong information ?
Tayla:
That is correct, I do apologise for that.
steve: ok brill, thank you

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Live chat are incorrect and what @Will posted above is correct.

Others have posted here on the community forums complaining that their services were terminated due to extended periods abroad.

Hi Welshpaul,

Thanks for your input however your information doesnt seem to stack up with the fair usage policy it says nothing about being cut off, it mentions a surchage being applied if you DONT send back the requested proof of strong ties with the UK.

Our fair usage policy has been designed to prevent misuse of our inclusive EU roaming feature, such as someone permanently roaming and not living in the UK.

We understand that sometimes you'll want to roam for a few weeks at a time. That's absolutely fine. But if you roam more than you use your phone at home (we mean in the UK) over a 4-month period, we might think you’re permanently roaming. If so, we'll take the following action:

First of all, we'll send you a text reminding you of the fair usage policy. If you don't change your usage behaviour to comply with it, we'll also ask you to provide some sort of proof that you have strong ties to the UK, like a UK bill or bank statement.

if you don’t provide any proof of having strong ties to the UK, and you continue to roam in the EU more than you use your plan in the UK, we'll apply a surcharge to your EU roaming usage. When we do this we'll send you another text message - to make you're aware of the situation, and give you a second chance to stop roaming and avoid charges.

The surcharges that will be applied to your account if you exceed our fair usage limits are:

• 3.2p per minute
  • 1p per text
  • 0.25p per MB

Perhaps the people who have been on here saying they have had issues didn't provide the required proof ?

Looking at the fair usage policy it clearly implies that sanctions ( extra charges ) will be applied if you fail when requested to send proof of “ strong ties “ like a bill or bank statement, to me it reads if you send this proof then no sanctions will be applied !!!

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

All the main UK networks frown on long term roaming and will bar your SIM or terminate your service for doing such a thing. Vodafone go far as to suspend your account for sending a single text message to a group of people! Oh and just because a customer service representative gives you inaccurate information does not mean it can be enforced legally... Years on the Virgin Media and Vodafone forums thought me that much! 

Im not an ID Mobile employee, I'm just confirming past experiences I have come across on here. It's possible those individuals couldn't or wouldn't confirm residency. Personally I'd take the word of the staff on this community over a live chat agent.

Hi Welshpaul,

The problem is the reply Will posted doesnt stack up with the fair usage policy, it clearly doesnt say anything about being “switched off “ only that extra charges will be imposed if you DONT send back the required proof.The live chats comments do at least match the fair usage policy document Ive quoted above.

Looking at the fair usage policy it clearly implies that sanctions ( extra charges ) will be applied if you fail when requested to send proof of “ strong ties “ like a bill or bank statement, to me it reads if you send this proof then no sanctions will be applied and certainly nothing about being cut off !!!

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Having re-read the policy I agree with you, disconnection shouldn't occur providing you supply the required documentation. Additional charges should be applied in cases where it's found your permanently roaming, although any spend cap might eventually restrict your service at some point.

Exactly,

My next question is around the open data policy, this also seems very vague, you can see below that the information tells you to follow a link to see if your plan is affected by this policy as only SELECTED plans are included however when you click on the link there are no questions for you to answer !!!

What is the open data policy?

Our open data policy only applies to selected plans. To see if it applies to you, please visit idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy and answer the two short questions.

The open data policy has been designed to prevent someone using excessive amounts of data when they're roaming. Selected plans have an EU data roaming threshold, which is the maximum data allowance that can be used for roaming. If a customer exceeds this more than once, they'll incur a data roaming surcharge of 0.59p per MB of data

If the open data policy applies to your plan, you'll receive a text from us when you reach 80% and 100% of the threshold, to make you aware of the situation and give you a chance to change your usage behaviour.

anyone ideas which plans are affected ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Robertfruiter,

You’ll be able to use your allowances in any of the EU roaming destinations mentioned on this article.

How much data you can use abroad, however, will be subject to our fair usage policy. More on this can be found here.

Ryan

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Silky,

You can visit the link below and enter the price of your plan and it will provide you with the usage amount.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy

Kash

Hi,

Quick question on this subject if I may:

In relation to your unlimited data plan:

I work in Spain occasionally and sometimes this exceeds 4 months, I have a house here in the UK and have a UK bank account etc so will be able to prove my “ link “ with the UK as your fair usage policy states. If after 4 months I send you this evidence will I be able to continue to use my phone in Spain until I come home ?

Thanks

Why iD Mobile?