Question

Unlocking Iphone 11 Pro for foreign Sim card

• 11 August 2020
  • 3 replies

I have completed a 2 year contract already and recently upgraded to a new iPhone and started a new 2 year contract. 

I work away for months at a time out of Europe so I had my previous iPhone unlocked so I could use the foreign (Kazakh) sim card while away then use my ID sim when I return to the Uk. 

I recently read that it is now more complicated to unlock iPhones and there is a 6 month wait. This is no good to me as I am due to leave soon and need my foreign SIM card to work! As an existing and reliable customer I am hoping Idmobile will consider helping me with this. 

I can not speak to anyone at a call centre due to the Covid situation.

kyle 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @KYLE STOKOE,

Unfortunately there is no region lock that we can remove from a phone. All of our phones are guaranteed to work with UK network SIM cards only, so you would need to test the foreign SIM card inside the phone to test if it will work with that particular network.

Ryan

Thanks for your response! 

I put the foreign sim here and I think it connected to Vodafone or something. Do you think that means it’ll connect to the network there? Or no way of knowing?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @KYLE STOKOE 

If you’ve already tried a local SIM over there in the phone, and it’s connected to the network fine.  Then you should be good to go.

Generally speaking.  Providing you use a phone (purchased in the UK) in the UK for a short while, then that should be enough to undo any region lock-set in place by the manufacturer.

The reason these region locks exist mainly seeems to be down to phone manufacturers trying to regulate any importing of phones.  Certain phones are marketed for certain regions and occasionally have region exclusive features that wouldn’t be compatible overseas.

Glad things seem to be as you need though.

Why iD Mobile?