Solved

Using mobile in Switzerland

• 3 July 2022
  • 6 replies

I understand iD Mobile do not include Switzerland in their roaming allowances.

My daughter is currently using her mobile in Switzerland. Her mobile data is turned on but her Data Roaming is turned OFF (although on in the app).

She is not sending any text messages or making any phone calls. She is only using the phone to take pictures, play some games and watch things on Youtube/Netflix/Disney+ but only when she is connected to WiFi. 

I've had a look at her account in the app and so far cannot see any additional charges.

Does this sound ok? I'd hate to get home in a couple of weeks only to be faced with a huge bill.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 3 August 2022, 19:03

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Just make sure the bill cap on her iD My Account is set to £0.

I know that roaming doesn’t work in Switzerland but is there any way of being able to access data/use internet . I don’t mind if it costs something (as long as we can control) - but I find it odd in this day and age that it is not possible - I wish this had been highlighted properly when we started this plan. Switzerland is hardly at the end of the earth. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I know that roaming doesn’t work in Switzerland but is there any way of being able to access data/use internet . I don’t mind if it costs something (as long as we can control) - but I find it odd in this day and age that it is not possible - I wish this had been highlighted properly when we started this plan. Switzerland is hardly at the end of the earth. 

Roaming should work in Switzerland if:

1. You’ve got roaming ON in your iD account.
  2. Roaming is allowed/enabled in your mobile phone’s data settings.
  3. Your iD account’s bill cap is high enough to allow for any out-of-plan expenses incurred in Switzerland.

The iD Mobile roaming partners in Switzerland are: Salt, sunrise and Swisscom.

The costs of roaming in Switzerland are:

Good luck.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @Laura Barbrook, you can roam in Switzerland, just like you can roam in pretty much any country in the world. It’s just not one of our inclusive destinations, so any usage would be charged extra.

Data usage in Switzerland is charged at £1.50 per MB which will add up very quickly. I’d strongly advise against using it and instead recommend sticking to Wi-Fi, or purchasing a local SIM.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

My daughter is currently using her mobile in Switzerland. Her mobile data is turned on but her Data Roaming is turned OFF (although on in the app).

She is not sending any text messages or making any phone calls. She is only using the phone to take pictures, play some games and watch things on Youtube/Netflix/Disney+ but only when she is connected to WiFi. 

I've had a look at her account in the app and so far cannot see any additional charges.

Does this sound ok? I'd hate to get home in a couple of weeks only to be faced with a huge bill.

Thanks.

we had this problem and it was because we had our spend cap at zero. As soon as I changed it, it worked. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks.

we had this problem and it was because we had our spend cap at zero. As soon as I changed it, it worked. 

Glad to hear that @Dansy,

Switzerland isn’t inclusive so a spend cap of £0.00 prevents any usage which is why increasing it worked fine 🙂

Thank you for sharing what worked for you!

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?