Solved

Why is Switzerland not included in Roaming?

• 17 December 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi
Does anyone know why ID does not include Switzerland in its roaming plan when every other network including Three and Tesco(Three) say they do?
I have just travelled to France through Geneva Airport so limited time in Switzerland and was surprised to get a text saying I had used up 80% of my cap. I’m not querying the phone using data but why are the charges so high for Switzerland.

Tim
icon

Best answer by Taimoor 2 January 2019, 03:50

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Arrow77,

Sorry that we weren't able to provide a more favourable answer to your query.

We don't provide international add-ons for Roaming.

If you are Roaming in an inclusive destination however, you can purchase our regular add-ons to use abroad. The only exception is for our old Takeaway plans which included America and Australia. Add-ons won't work in these 2 destinations.

Head to our Roaming page to find the full list of inclusive destinations.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
I understand the posts above about the EU regulations but why is iDmobile one of the only UK networks not to include Switzerland. If the other networks can include Switzerland why can’t iD?

Feeling very disappointed with iD on this, as my 12 year old daughter has just gone on a ski trip to Switzerland and we have just found we cannot keep in touch with her as it costs £2.40 per min for calls, £0.60 per SMS and £1.50 per mB data. Obviously quite distressing for us and her.

Having spoken to iD customer service, they cannot offer any add on bundles or cannot price match against other UK networks.

Very frustrated after we only recently switched to iDmobile.
Userlevel 2
Switzerland is not part of the EEA Roaming law so therefore EU networks (like iD and other UK networks) don’t have to provide inclusive roaming to Switzerland.

Read this: “The last member state of EFTA, Switzerland, is not party to the EEA agreement, and is instead linked to the EU by a series of bilateral agreements. Despite close relations with the EU in several fields, the regulations do not apply to Switzerland, and charges are usually considerably higher for EEA residents roaming in Switzerland, and for Swiss residents in the EEA, especially on internet data. Switzerland will not be part of the 2017 free rate agreements.[39]Rates vary, sometimes EU rate at €0.05 and sometimes up to €10/MB.[40]Some companies do offer EU rate roaming to Switzerland as well.[41]Monaco, Andorra and San Marino have cooperation with the EU, like usage of the euro, but not free roaming.”

Source - Wikipedia | EU Roaming Regulations
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Wood,

I couldn't give you a reason as to why it's not included in the EU Roaming destinations but I can point you to our inclusive list of destinations for Roaming.

Found Here

You can also find out what the costs are here.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?