Sticky Tutorial

All you need to know about your new SIM.

• 17 December 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge

We’ve created this article to tell you everything you need to know about your new SIM.

First of all, here are a few iD Community articles dedicated to our most common SIM related queries.

To find out more about your SIM, read on…

SIM card sizes explained.

When you get a SIM card from us it actually contains all three sizes (Standard, Micro, Nano). You simply choose the size you need, snap it out from the perforated edges, and insert it into the SIM card tray of your phone. Make sure you're certain of the SIM card size before you do this. Check the handset manual if you're not sure.

How to find out your SIM card number.

Your SIM card number is the 19-digit number printed on the SIM card holder, under the barcode.

If you don’t have the card holder any more, don’t worry - the number’s also printed on the back of the SIM card itself. It’s an 11-digit number, and you just need to add ‘89442001’ to the start of it if you need to input it somewhere.

8 replies

One question I couldn’t find an answer to in your article on SIMs: how can I protect my SIM from it being high jacked by a fraudster claiming to ID to be me and to have lost his SIM?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Philippe,

The question to ask here is, How would a fraudster access my details? as opposed to how to prevent being SIM-jacked. 

If a Fraudster has your details already, then with sufficient information, they would be able to complete security.

How can you prevent them getting your details? 

Phishing emails, clicking unsuspicious links, these are things we’ve posted about on our Community already.

These emails are designed to look like genuine company emails, however upon further inspection (spelling typos, addressing you as sir/customer) are fake. Clicking these will usually grant unauthorised access to your computer. Or, trick you into signing into the website that looks like company’s, but instead, they will steal your passwords. 

Just be extra vigilant when checking your emails. Never sign in to an account from links on emails. Always go to the website directly. Don’t click links and if you suspect something doesn’t sound right, follow your gut instinct.

Disposing of documents with your address, details, account numbers in Recycling can open you up to identity theft also. 

Invest in a shredder to get rid of documents securely. Shredding using a cross-cut/micro-cut shredder as they tend to be more secure than strip cut shredders.

.Regularly changing your passwords using sensible password formats and avoiding using the same password across all sites.

Don’t give out PIN’s or share information.

You can find much more of this on our article here: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/blog-45/how-to-protect-your-identity-online-31450

As well as some other useful reads:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/identity-fraud/

https://www.equifax.co.uk/Products/learning-centre/how_identity_theft_strikes.html

Kind Regards,

Mohammed

Sorry, but looking myself after my information is not sufficient, since some of it can be found by a determined individual, such as through the government selling out information from the electoral register or through Facebook having released the personal information of its users to hackers. And whilst I trust my vigilance regarding phishing, I do not trust blindly the user identification process that may be used by service providers, since I have no information on how thorough they are at establishing the caller’s identity. For instance, I would not take it too kindly if ID mobile were accepting as proof of identity the knowledge of my post code and date of birth! Can I agree with ID mobile a password of some sort without the provision of which any request for a transfer of SIM would be rejected? This may make my life difficult if ever I lose it but I am happy to have to go to an ID Mobile shop to prove my identity through my passport if this gives me confidence that I do not risk having somebody stealing my identity through unsecure authentication processes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Sorry, but looking myself after my information is not sufficient, since some of it can be found by a determined individual, such as through the government selling out information from the electoral register or through Facebook having released the personal information of its users to hackers. And whilst I trust my vigilance regarding phishing, I do not trust blindly the user identification process that may be used by service providers, since I have no information on how thorough they are at establishing the caller’s identity. For instance, I would not take it too kindly if ID mobile were accepting as proof of identity the knowledge of my post code and date of birth! Can I agree with ID mobile a password of some sort without the provision of which any request for a transfer of SIM would be rejected? This may make my life difficult if ever I lose it but I am happy to have to go to an ID Mobile shop to prove my identity through my passport if this gives me confidence that I do not risk having somebody stealing my identity through unsecure authentication processes.

Hello @Philippe,

There’s already a Customer Service PIN on the account which you’d be asked for when calling our Customer Services.

This PIN is located in the app.

We’re not able to apply a separate password on the account to be confirmed in-order to access the account.

Further to this, in the event of a PAC code being requested, a text is sent to the registered iD Mobile number so you’d be aware of any attempts of PAC Fraud.

Mohammed

How do I allow private numbers to contact me eg Hospital or Doctor as my SIM card seems to be sending them straight to voicemail.  I also don't get a message that they have called?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Sudz,

This issue sounds to be a phone setting issue; the phone could be set to send all private/hidden numbers to voicemail. Which phone are you using?

Ryan

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20.

I have upgraded and have a new SIM, before I use it can you confirm that it is the same phone number as my existing SIM? 

Why iD Mobile?