Question

New sim cards,

Userlevel 1

upgraded and recieved a new sim card I have read that this does not have to be used, so can I use the new sim in my other phone or device with the same number and under the same account?

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @John Mc, the new SIM you received with your upgrade is NOT activated.

If you activate your new SIM, your existing (old) SIM will become inactive.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @John Mc, sounds like you’re asking if two SIMs can be active with the same number at once? The answer to that is no, sadly. There can only ever be one active SIM at a time.

By default, after upgrading, it’s the old SIM that will be active.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Along similar lines, I have purchased a monthly £20 unlimited data sim card for my broadband router. I purchased this from my £6 per month fiixed plan but cannot access my £20 plan to monitor what data I am using.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated 🙏 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Along similar lines, I have purchased a monthly £20 unlimited data sim card for my broadband router. I purchased this from my £6 per month fiixed plan but cannot access my £20 plan to monitor what data I am using.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated 🙏 

Okay @Reachingout, it’s not clear how many iD plans you have currently.

Do you have a £6/month plan for a phone, and another £20/month plan for a broadband router?

Or, did you upgrade your £6/month plan to a £20/month?

Anyway, assuming you have 2 iD plans, to see the data usage for your £20/month plan, you’ll need to register this plan for an iD My Account online at https://my.idmobile.co.uk.

Registration will send a security code to the mobile number linked to your £20/month plan.
To see this code, you’ll need a router utility for handling SMS messaging on the router - this topic should be covered in your router’s user guide.

If you can’t read the SMS sent to your router, you’ll need to pop (the router) SIM into a handset in order to complete the registration.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Hi andewhite Many ta’s for your quick response to my issue. To clarify, I have only 1 plan. This is a fixed £6 a month standing fee for unlimited calls & texts plus an allowance of 5Gb of data. From this account, i recently purchased a £20 unlimited data sim card. The unlimited data sim card is now in my Huawei router providing WiFi around the house (I have recently done away with our landline and the poor broadband speed which poptelecom provided) The sim card has quadrupled our broadband speeds.

Initially, I opted for the £20 a month plan as I do not know how much data I require for a month of viewing Sky sports & internet browsing etc. It may turn out we only use for example, 80gb of data in which case my next monthy data card would be for whatever charge such a 100gb sim would cost.

My problem is, that I cannot view my £20 plan. I need to see how much data usage I rack up in a month so I know what size data card to purchase for the following month.

Id have provided customer service pin numbers, verification numbers, account numbers even a telephone number with regards to the £20 card. I also note the statement I have been emailed refers to being billed the 5th of every month? I do not recall signing up for repeat billing. I only initially wanted a one monthly deal to accertain how much data I required.

‘’Do you have a £6/month plan for a phone, and another £20/month plan for a broadband router?’’

I guess the answer to this is yes. With regards your explanation of being able to view the SMS sent to my router, no I haven’t. But given the router appears to be working fine is there still a need to go through all this when it appears to be working ok?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi andewhite Many ta’s for your quick response to my issue. To clarify, I have only 1 plan. This is a fixed £6 a month standing fee for unlimited calls & texts plus an allowance of 5Gb of data. From this account, i recently purchased a £20 unlimited data sim card. The unlimited data sim card is now in my Huawei router providing WiFi around the house (I have recently done away with our landline and the poor broadband speed which poptelecom provided) The sim card has quadrupled our broadband speeds.

Initially, I opted for the £20 a month plan as I do not know how much data I require for a month of viewing Sky sports & internet browsing etc. It may turn out we only use for example, 80gb of data in which case my next monthy data card would be for whatever charge such a 100gb sim would cost.

My problem is, that I cannot view my £20 plan. I need to see how much data usage I rack up in a month so I know what size data card to purchase for the following month.

Id have provided customer service pin numbers, verification numbers, account numbers even a telephone number with regards to the £20 card. I also note the statement I have been emailed refers to being billed the 5th of every month? I do not recall signing up for repeat billing. I only initially wanted a one monthly deal to accertain how much data I required.

‘’Do you have a £6/month plan for a phone, and another £20/month plan for a broadband router?’’

I guess the answer to this is yes. With regards your explanation of being able to view the SMS sent to my router, no I haven’t. But given the router appears to be working fine is there still a need to go through all this when it appears to be working ok?

It sounds like you purchased a second iD plan for £20/month.

This second plan is a one-month rolling SIM plan - rolling meaning it rolls over on a monthly basis until you cancel the plan.

If you want to see the data usage for this one-month rolling plan, you’ll need to register the plan for an iD My Account online - you can then sign-in and see your data allowance usage.

I hope this makes sense - anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Okay, that makes sense. I was loath to open another account thinking it may conflict or even override my current £6 pm plan.

I'll try your suggestion and see how it goes ....

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Reachingout 

@andewhite seems to be on the right lines here, an iD Mobile App/Website account is only ever tied to one plan, so if you’ve taken out a second plan you’ll need to make a new iD Mobile App/Website account for it!

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi Tom - Thanks for your input. Obviously,  I have an account linked to my current £6 PM plan, how do you suggest I open another, as whenever I attempt doing so, I am automatically taken to my £6 PM account. My being unable to see my £20 monthly plan is my whole issue. I need to see how much data I use in order for my to purchase my next plan. Its pointless paying £20 a month for unlimited data if I’m only using, say 50gb?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi Tom - Thanks for your input. Obviously,  I have an account linked to my current £6 PM plan, how do you suggest I open another, as whenever I attempt doing so, I am automatically taken to my £6 PM account. My being unable to see my £20 monthly plan is my whole issue. I need to see how much data I use in order for my to purchase my next plan. Its pointless paying £20 a month for unlimited data if I’m only using, say 50gb?

Have you gone to https://my.idmobile.co.uk and clicked the “Register” option/tab?

iD Mobile “My Account” registration page

You should be able to create a new account for £20/month plan, but you need the mobile number linked to the SIM in the router and a way of receiving the SMS with the iD security code (sent to the mobile number tied to the SIM in your broadband router).

You need the security code to complete the registration process. To read this code, you’ll need a router app/utility for handling SMS messaging on your Huawei router (check for this in your router’s user guide).

If you can’t read the SMS sent to your router, you’ll need to pop (the router) SIM into a handset in order to complete the registration.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Hi andewhite - Thank you for all the above. Here’s a thought …. apart from the fact if my £20 sim was registered, I could supposedly then view my data usage. However, what if I do not register the sim?

Presently I am removing and replacing the £20 sim in and out of the router in an attempt to view whatever security code has been sent in order to register it. The thing is, the sim card is working fine without my having registered it. The router is doing all it advertises in providing an excellent Wifi signal and the Id sim card appears to be playing its part too. So apart from my not being able to view how much data I have used over the coming month, I am left wondering, why the hell bother registering it?

I am becoming concerned with the constant removal and replacing of the sim in and out of the router. This, in an attempt to view whatever sms messgage Id have sent to the £20 sim number in trying to register it. Incidentally, I have yet to receive anything with regards a security code. As for viewing via my router, I cant even begin to think how that would work?

Lastly, am I wrong to think the one month £20 unlimited data plan would finish in one month?        Reading between the lines, I get the impression Id will debit my account into subsequent months. The reason I ask this, is come the end of the month I wish to change my current plan and sign up for a 12 month £18 PM unlimited plan. I ask is this possible, as currently I am outside your criteria of not having held this plan for 30 days.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Reachingout, sounds like perhaps there’s been a little misunderstanding about activation and registration.

Whenever you start a new iD contract/plan, iD send an already activated SIM card so it can be used immediately upon receipt.

Registration is only required if you want manage your iD contract/plan online using an iD My Account (or the iD app). If you do choose to register, you can monitor the data usage for your router’s SIM card, from its own iD My Account.

There isn’t a requirement to register a contract/plan - your SIM will always work as long as your bills are paid.

The iD Mobile automated phone service on 0333 003 7777 will let you manage some aspects of your £20/month plan.

It’s likely your Huawei broadband router has a web interface, which would allow you to read text messages sent to mobile number tied to the iD SIM in the router - have you looked at the user guide?

Anyway, good luck.

Why iD Mobile?