Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

436 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi, I received my new iD sim card and was told, as a first time iD customer, it would be automatically activated when I put it in my phone. I had an email that said it would active on Monday 16th May between 10am-8pm. My new iD sim was not recognised by my phone - it said 'no SIM emergency calls only'. My phone is compatible with iD and is unlocked so shouldn't have been a problem. I tried all the trouble shooting options, including trying it in another unlocked, iD compatible phone. It still wasn't recognised. I have now had two days without phone access as my previous O2 sim has stopped working due to me changing my number over to my new iD sim. I am frustrated with iD and the lack of tech support or help line. Please can you help me resolve this issue ASAP.

There’s ONLY online support with iD - sorry, it’s cheap for a reason.

Luckily, when I joined iD Mobile my new SIM card arrived already activated and worked straight-away. All new SIM cards are activated upon dispatch, so it sounds like your SIM may be faulty.

The messaging in this forum isn’t real-time - so I suggest you use iD Live Chat before 8pm (weekdays) and type “talk to a person” after connecting (to avoid the 24/7 bot).

The iD agent will need to access your iD account to better understand what’s causing the problem.

Good luck.

SIM card is saying data has all been used but there is plenty left when we looked. Daughter can now not use her phone to contact me when not in the wifi mode

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

SIM card is saying data has all been used but there is plenty left when we looked. Daughter can now not use her phone to contact me when not in the wifi mode

You don’t need data to make a call, unless using WhatsApp or something similar.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Joanna Fairbanks, I can see you’ve contacted us on social media regarding this so we’ll continue to assist there.

Thank you,

Rory

I’m new with iD Mobile.  I’ve put the new SIM card into my new iphone but it is not finding the iD network.  I’ve checked the coverage as explained above and it’s OK.  I’ve switched the phone on and off a few times already.  The SIM card only goes in one way round.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @RCa99,

Can you please check that the handset is unlocked?

Also can you try the SIM in a different handset and see if that works?

It may also be worth to manually trying to select the network as that should allow you to connect to iD Mobile if you are able to find the network.

If these options don’t work we may need to get you a new SIM sent out.

Kash

Thanks for your answer.  I couldn’t select the iD network manually.  It’s resolved now - I took the phone back to the store and they completed the setup on their in-store wifi network, then the phone found the iD network when I got it home.

Userlevel 1

I’m new with iD Mobile. 

Moved my number over and entered the PAC into the iDMobile system on the 23rd (so, Thursday).

I’ve put the new SIM card into my phone today but it is not finding the iD network.  I’ve checked the coverage as explained above and it’s OK.  I’ve switched the phone on and off a few times already and done the flight mode etc.

Phone is unlocked as I used it with another SIM.

Can someone get back to me please….thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’m new with iD Mobile. 

Moved my number over and entered the PAC into the iDMobile system on the 23rd (so, Thursday).

I’ve put the new SIM card into my phone today but it is not finding the iD network.  I’ve checked the coverage as explained above and it’s OK.  I’ve switched the phone on and off a few times already and done the flight mode etc.

It sounds like your new SIM card might be faulty, or there’s a network outage at your location.

Use the three “Network status checker” to see if there’s a problem in your area.

Good luck.

Userlevel 1

I’m new with iD Mobile. 

It sounds like your new SIM card might be faulty, or there’s a network outage at your location.

Use the three “Network status checker” to see if there’s a problem in your area.

Good luck.

Hi and thanks for the mesage.

I have checked the coverage and all seems well… :/

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’m new with iD Mobile. 

Good luck.

Okay @ulaPlod, network coverage and network status are different things.

Coverage maps are computer models of the theoretical signal strength at any given location - the reality and theory are often different. 

Status is the actual service status of the network, which helps you know if there is a network fault, or maintenance work, et cetera in your area.

Did you visit https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support, to see your network status? 

Userlevel 1

I’m new with iD Mobile. 

Good luck.

Okay @ulaPlod, network coverage and networak status are different things.

Coverage maps are computer models of the theoretical signal strength at any given location - the reality and theory are often different. 

Status is the actual service status of the network, which helps you know if there is a network fault, or maintenance work, et cetera in your area.

Did you visit https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support, to see your network status? 

Hi @andewhite yeah I meant status...apologies. I put in my postcode on the page you linked to and all is good...

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @andewhite yeah I meant status...apologies. I put in my postcode on the page you linked to and all is good...

New iD SIM cards should come already activated and should work straight away in an unlocked phone.

It sounds like there’s a problem with your SIM card, or iD network account.
Either way, I suggest using the Live Chat service to ask for a replacement SIM card.

To avoid the online chat bot type “talk to a person”, once you’re connected.

If the online chat doesn't work on your smartphone, try another device like a tablet, iPad or laptop.

You can also speak with iD Mobile using facebook or Twitter.

The iD agents work between 9am - 8pm weekdays and 9am - 6pm weekends. Outside these times you’ll get an automated reply.

Good luck!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @ulaPlod, did you manage to get to the bottom of this? Our coverage checker is an estimate only, and real-world results may differ, 

If you’re not happy with the coverage being provided in your area, we do offer a 30-day returns window (14 days for in-store purchases).

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Hi @andewhite yeah I meant status...apologies. I put in my postcode on the page you linked to and all is good...

New iD SIM cards should come already activated and should work straight away in an unlocked phone.

It sounds like there’s a problem with your SIM card, or iD network account.
Either way, I suggest using the Live Chat service to ask for a replacement SIM card.

To avoid the online chat bot type “talk to a person”, once you’re connected.

If the online chat doesn't work on your smartphone, try another device like a tablet, iPad or laptop.

The iD agents work between 9am - 8pm weekdays and 9am - 6pm weekends. Outside these times you’ll get an automated reply.

Good luck!

Some helpful info in there - appreciated.

I think there was an error with the hardware with the phone. It would recognise the sim on wifi...so allow wifi calling etc but as soon as I turned wifi off it would say emergency calls only.

I replaced the phone and all is working fine.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Sim activated Friday morning and still not working, I contacted live chat on Saturday morning who said sim had been activated that day so I waited another 24hours and phone still saying “no SIM”. Please help. Live chat not working?!?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The live chat seems to be working okay @Dawn Smith. It’s working in Google Chrome on my Windows 10 laptop using the https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat page.

Good luck.

Hi there....I received my new Id SIM card with phone yesterday and SIM card isn't working and my new mobile phone number is nowhere to be found. What should I do in this situation?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi there....I received my new Id SIM card with phone yesterday and SIM card isn't working and my new mobile phone number is nowhere to be found. What should I do in this situation?

Hey @Tomas Slezak, are you a new customer or did you upgrade your iD handset?

Anyway, if your SIM doesn’t work it might need to be activated, or it could be faulty.

Try the SIM in a different phone, and try a different SIM (not from iD) in your phone.

Good luck.

I took out a  contract on Tuesday. When I tried removing the SIM card from the pack I thought I bent it. put my new sim in phone when I received the phone , the  phone says no SIM card installed. Carphone Warehouse  is purity much useless when trying to sort it out the first time I went in the worker I spoke to didn’t have a clue,  told me to go to the store I took contract out with. The sales man there said the sim is ok and it just take up to 24 hours to activate the sim.  More then 3 days after I first inserted the SIM card it still isn’t working. In the mean time my old phone has stopped working because I was transferring the number to my new network.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Adam Booker 

I’m sorry to hear this, it can take up to 24 hours for a SIM to activate but it’s usually within the hour, was this a contract taken out in store? It’s usually active before you leave.

We can check on the status of your iD Mobile account if you’d like by contacting us via the Live Chat which is usually quicker or if you’d like support here via private messages let us know and we’ll get in contact!

Tom

I’ve just received my sim and it’s not working on my new iPhone 13 pro max 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Your new iPhone might be the problem. 
Have you tried your just arrived iD SIM in another phone?

It’s a brand new phone it come with the SIM card 

Your new iPhone might be the problem. 
Have you tried your just arrived iD SIM in another phone?

It’s a brand new phone it come with the SIM card 

Why iD Mobile?