Sticky Tutorial

Activating Your New SIM

• 17 December 2018
  • 39 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge

Have you just received a new SIM from us? Then this is the place to find out what to do next. It all depends on whether your SIM is for 1) a new connection, 2) an upgrade, or 3) a replacement. Here's what to do in each of these situations:

1. New connection.

If you've purchased a new connection, the SIM card you receive should already be activated. Simply pop it into your handset, and you're good to go.

SIM not working? This article might help: 

2. Upgrade

If you've recently upgraded with us, your new plan allowances should now be available to use on your current SIM.

You might receive a new SIM card in the post. This is just in case you've upgraded to a new phone, and your current SIM doesn't fit. So, if your existing SIM is fine, just store the new one in a safe place in case you need it in the future.

If you ever need to use the new SIM, you can activate it, in the iD Mobile App or My Account online by:

• Logging in to the app or online account. 
  •  Going to the 'My Services' page 
  • Clicking 'Activate my SIM'
  • Scanning your SIM card barcode or entering the 19-digit number printed on the SIM cardholder*

Once you click 'Activate your SIM', the new SIM will be activated within a few hours. 

*If you don't have the cardholder any more, don't worry - the number's also printed on the back of the SIM card itself. It's an 11-digit number, and you just need to add '89442001' to the start of it if you need to input it somewhere.

If you're not registered for iD Mobile App or My Account online, you can activate your SIM here

3. Replacement

If you've received a replacement SIM because your old one was lost, stolen, damaged, or the wrong size, you will need to activate your new SIM. You can activate it in the iD Mobile App or My Account online by:

• Logging in to the app or online account. 
  •  Going to the 'My Services' page 
  • Clicking 'Activate my SIM'
  • Scanning your SIM card barcode or entering the 19-digit number printed on the SIM cardholder * 

Once you click 'Activate your SIM', the new SIM will be activated within a few hours. 

*If you don't have the cardholder any more, don't worry - the number's also printed on the back of the SIM card itself. It's an 11-digit number, and you need to add '89442001' to the start of it if you need to input it somewhere.

If you're not registered for the iD Mobile app or My Account online, you can activate your SIM here

Got a question on your SIM? Then check out 'All you need to know about your new SIM', or ask it below.

39 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @alfaz.di.pi 

Not sure what your sim issue with O2 is. Do you have an ID sim?

-Mohsin

Userlevel 1

I do not have an issue with my present SIM which I pay monthly, I am just asking why I have been sent a new SIM. Is O2 changing something?.

Alfaz.di.pi

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @alfaz.di.pi 

Are you currently with iD Mobile?

I’m sorry I do not understand what you are asking?

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

I have changed contracts with yourselves and received a new sim card. I have had it in over 48 hours and still no service, I have tried flight mode and turning it on and off a number of times.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @alfaz.di.pi 

As you are an O2 customer, I think it would be best to speak to O2 directly regarding this. 

-Mohsin

My Phone contract expires in a few days and I’ve ordered a sim only rolling monthly contract, keeping the same phone. The sim has a new number and I had to set up a new DD payment. Can I just exchange it in my phone and keep my old number by going through the’my account’ process or do I have to cancel old contract and start from scratch?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

If you want to keep the phone number allocated to your existing phone contract but switch to a cheaper SIM only plan, you should have upgraded your phone contract and not ordered a whole new SIM only plan. As it stands, you now have two accounts with ID Mobile and therefore two direct debits in place. Simply put, you cannot move your phone number from the old phone contract to the new sim only rolling monthly contract. 😔

If you want to keep the number assigned to your phone contract, you will need to cancel the sim only rolling monthly contract under the 14 day cooling off period and upgrade the phone contract to a SIM only plan of your choosing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Steve Christine Davies,

Basically what @WelshPaul said.

We’ll drop you a Private Message now to cancel that new plan you’ve taken out, and see if we can apply the same tariff onto your old line so that you have the plan you want, on the number you want.

Will

I cannot activate my new sim. I have changed my plan but cannot activate. Have tried so many times now and it says to contact you

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Lyraxylia,

Is the old SIM card working?

What error message are you receiving when trying to activate the new one?

Will

Yes the old sim is still working. Do I even need to use the new sim or will the plan just update itself? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Lyraxylia,

You will be fine to continue using the old SIM card. The plan will still update. 🙂

Ryan

My new sim is not working. Been two days now. Won't activate. Help!

Jack

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Jack Ryan,

Is it a new iD Mobile SIM or a replacement SIM card?

If you have upgraded or received a replacement SIM please click HERE to activate it.

If it’s a new SIM card it should already be activated.

Thanks,

Kash

Why iD Mobile?