Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

445 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

​Hi @Rehanm01

I’m sorry to hear this, your iD Mobile SIM card should be active from dispatch, the SIM wouldn’t wait for the transfer to activate.

Have you tried picking up a replacement SIM card from your local Currys store and activating at the below link?

https://my.idmobile.co.uk/activate-sim-outside

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Paul Ballard 

Glad to hear the team at Currys were able to get you sorted.

Tom

Hi ive just got a new sim and i am waiting for my old number to transfer but my phone is saying no sim do i have to wait for the transfer for the sim to be activated?

Userlevel 1

Hi @Paul Ballard@Guth17@Suedavies & @Jon Trew 

Sorry to hear this, have you tried a replacement SIM card?

You’ll be able to pick one up at your local Currys store and activate it here.

Tom

Yes, picked up a new simcard for Currys and activated it and ported over number with no issues.

The guy at Currys said that it looked like the place i bought the phone from (mobiles.co.uk) didn’t fully process the order, so the simcard they provided wasn’t activated.

Now have a fully working phone and exceedingly happy.

Thanks for the advice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Paul Ballard, @Guth17, @Suedavies & @Jon Trew 

Sorry to hear this, have you tried a replacement SIM card?

You’ll be able to pick one up at your local Currys store and activate it here.

Tom

Ive just switched to IDmobile from Three.  My Three sim and service has been ended today.  Ive tried fitting the new sim and get a No SIM message in settings.  I’ve tried the following

Checked the coverage? - ID mobile covers CF62 8BA

using a compatible handset? - iphone 15 promax

Have put my phone into flight mode, left it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
have checked that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
Restarted  my device.
Turned off my device, removed the SIM, and cleaned  with a micro-fibre cloth. 
Tried the SIM card in an iphone 8 , and tested the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects.  - I get the get message no SIM in the iphone 8 as well as the Iphone 15

Please advise

Hi, can anyone help me please, I have recently joined Id mobile from O2, I sent my pac code to id and asked for a start date of April 2nd 2024, received sim, put it in my iPhone 11 Pro but did not work. It also doesn’t work in my husbands compatible handset but his sim works in mine. I’ve tried all the suggestions like restart phone etc but nothing and in settings under phone it says No Sim?

Any other suggestions please.

Regards Sue

If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.

• Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.

If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

Dear ID,

None of the above suggested solutions work. I transferred to ID mobile this week and received a new phone and new Sim that states it will work from the box. The Sim does not work in the phone and states ‘no sim’ so now I’m currently paying for phone contract that doesn’t work. Please provide a solution that will enable me to actually use the service. Your app and other contact services also do not work. 

Userlevel 1

I’d like a little help as nothing seems to be work, app or sim.

Just received a new S24 Ultra with monthly contract. Phone ok, but sim isn’t working at all.

Tried in another phone (Note9) not working, tried my old Sky sim in S24 and that’s working fine.

Tried the airplane mode, switch off, restarted and cleaned sim.. still not recognised.

Not too happy with the amount of money spent on deal, i would’ve though by reading the simcard pack that the sim would work straight away.

Please someone advise,

Thanks

Paul

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Reaz m,

Welcome to the Community!

How can we help?

Kash

No help center 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @AlistairLang 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

My number should have ported from 3 to yourselves today, I provided my PAC code and all the information you required but the switch does not seem to have worked.

My iPhone 13 is saying “NO SIM” I have tried other sims in my phone and they are seen and work in my phone, and I have tried the ID sim in other phones and they too show the “NO SIM” message, so I believe that there is an issue with the SIM that you have provided. 

Please advise how this can be resolved as until it is I am without a working mobile phone.

Many thanks Al

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @andy-ski,

Glad to hear that this is now resolved.

If you have any issues in the future, please get back to us here.

Kash

Hi to close the loop on this - I picked up a new SIM from Currys, the person working in Cribbs Causeway was very efficient.
Put it in my phone, back home online did a live chat, gave the new SIM card number, and moments later the ID Mobile service starts and all seems to be ok.  Original number retained.
thanks
Andy

I just collected a replacement SIM from curry’s and it also isn’t working. Instead of it saying “NO SIM” it now says “No Service” on my phone. However I have tried turning flight mode on and off, turning the phone off and tried it in different locations (even different towns) still nothing. The live chat doesn’t put me through to anyone as they are constantly busy so might just cancel my new contract.

Did you get it working in the end?

I am in exactly the same situation and live chat suggest my device is faulty!!  It works with 2 other SIM so no

Hi, please help before I have to cancel this new contract.

New IDmobile SIM card delivered last week, filled in the PAC form, yesterday morning old sim cancelled but IDmobile not working.

Live chat (eventually) said wait till 6pm.  ID mobile still not working more than 24 hrs later.

My iPhone 12 is unlocked and working with other Sims.  The IDmobile Sim does not work in my wife’s phone either.

thanks

Andy

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Finlay Eagleson,

Welcome to the Community!

Have you checked the coverage and network status in your area?

If you are within the returns period you can look at returning if you are unhappy with the coverage.

You can visit the link to check your network status: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage

Kash

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Your signal shows 1 bar with a dbM of -113! That’s not good. Move a step to the left and you probably get -115dbm, step to the right and it might improve but either way those are awful stats and you should expect issues.

There is nothing wrong with your SIM. The issue you have is that you have little to no signal. 

Its not, because it works perfectly fine as soon as I use my original phone

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

There is nothing wrong with your SIM. The issue you have is that you have little to no signal. 

Iv done everything stated at the start of this thread. Iv just moved my sim from my samsung a14 to my s24 and it does not set up the data. Below are the differences between using WiFi and having my data on

Hi there, my daughter is struggling to make her new sim work in her iphone 12. We’ve tried all the recommended fixes but no luck. Any suggestions? It just says ‘sim failed’

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Then do what was suggested in the posts above and obtain a replacement SIM. You can pick one up from your local Curry’s store at no cost or speak to a live chat agent tomorrow and request one be sent out to you.

Hi, I have tried all the advice on flight mode turning off, check imei, check coverage, you name it, still getting apple not recognised.  I have been at this hours, BTW its an old apple 6s that  is on the compatible.  HELP PLEASE

Why iD Mobile?