Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

443 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The live chat seems to be working okay @Dawn Smith. It’s working in Google Chrome on my Windows 10 laptop using the https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat page.

If the online chat doesn't work on your smartphone, try another device like a tablet, iPad or laptop.

You can also speak with iD Mobile using facebook or Twitter.

Good luck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @GuineapigPaul 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi, I received my new iD sim card and was told, as a first time iD customer, it would be automatically activated when I put it in my phone. I had an email that said it would active on Monday 16th May between 10am-8pm. My new iD sim was not recognised by my phone - it said 'no SIM emergency calls only'. My phone is compatible with iD and is unlocked so shouldn't have been a problem. I tried all the trouble shooting options, including trying it in another unlocked, iD compatible phone. It still wasn't recognised. I have now had two days without phone access as my previous O2 sim has stopped working due to me changing my number over to my new iD sim. I am frustrated with iD and the lack of tech support or help line. Please can you help me resolve this issue ASAP.

There’s ONLY online support with iD - sorry, it’s cheap for a reason.

Luckily, when I joined iD Mobile my new SIM card arrived already activated and worked straight-away. All new SIM cards are activated upon dispatch, so it sounds like your SIM may be faulty.

The messaging in this forum isn’t real-time - so I suggest you use iD Live Chat before 8pm (weekdays) and type “talk to a person” after connecting (to avoid the 24/7 bot).

The iD agent will need to access your iD account to better understand what’s causing the problem.

Good luck.

Userlevel 1

Replacement sim new phone number, still got my old Data 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Cwersy,

That’s correct, you can still use the old SIM card as it is still active, the new one is only needed if you choose to activate it yourself. You will still have access to your upgrade if using the old SIM card. 🙂

Ryan

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @user15129,

Does the handset have the latest software installed?

Also has a replacement SIM card been tested? It may be worth trying a new SIM in the handset.

If the SIM works in another handset it will likely be a handset issue.

Kash

Hi Kash,

1. Newest software installed on handset and still not working.
  2. Tried different sim in handset and that is working fine. (Phone is also unlocked to all networks)
  3. Tried the new sim in a different handset and that is not working either

I think it is the sim that isn’t working. I can’t seem to order a new sim either as I can’t register for the id mobile app as to register you have to verify your phone number with a text to the new id number which isn’t working.

any help in resolving this matter I would be grateful for.

thanks.

You can use the iD Live Chat service to order a replacement SIM card, @user15129. Otherwise, get a replacement SIM from your closest Currys store. 

Replacement SIMs need to be activated online at https://my.idmobile.co.uk/web/cpw/sim-swap.  

Userlevel 1

Hi @user15129,

Does the handset have the latest software installed?

Also has a replacement SIM card been tested? It may be worth trying a new SIM in the handset.

If the SIM works in another handset it will likely be a handset issue.

Kash

Hi Kash,

1. Newest software installed on handset and still not working.
  2. Tried different sim in handset and that is working fine. (Phone is also unlocked to all networks)
  3. Tried the new sim in a different handset and that is not working either

I think it is the sim that isn’t working. I can’t seem to order a new sim either as I can’t register for the id mobile app as to register you have to verify your phone number with a text to the new id number which isn’t working.

any help in resolving this matter I would be grateful for.

thanks.

You can use the iD Live Chat service to order a replacement SIM card, @user15129. Otherwise, get a replacement SIM from your closest Currys store. 

Replacement SIMs need to be activated online at https://my.idmobile.co.uk/web/cpw/sim-swap.  

That’s great thank you for your help with solving this. 

Userlevel 1

I have now managed to get support via the Live Chat and order a replacement SIM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Cblag 

I’m sorry to hear this, have you tried resetting your network settings on the device with the iD Mobile SIM card inside?

It may be worth trying a replacement SIM card, please let us know if you still require assistance with this so we can get in touch.

Tom

Userlevel 1

If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.

• Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.

If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

Have tried all above

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @user15129 

A replacement SIM card can be picked up via a local Currys store and activated at the link provided by @andewhite above, however if you wish to have one sent out, we can get in touch here.

Please let us know if you would like one sent and we’ll get in touch.

Tom

Userlevel 1

I am currently without a phone as I have been given a SIM card that does not work. Last time I contacted the live chat they told me it would be live by 6pm today however it still is not working. It says NO SIM on my phone even after trying all the steps in this forum. Could it be that the SIM card is faulty? How do I go about receiving a new one if so?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @IrinaP,

Welcome to the Community!

It sounds like your SIM may be faulty.

You can collect a replacement SIM from a Curry’s Store or we can send one out.

Kash

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Angie_fernandes,

The SIM card should arrive already activated when it’s a new order so the issue may lie with the phone; have you checked that the phone has been unlocked from the previous provider?

Also, did you receive any paperwork with the SIM card? This should have the number written on it.

Ryan

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @andy-ski,

Glad to hear that this is now resolved.

If you have any issues in the future, please get back to us here.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi, I bought a pay monthly sim and provided my pac code to bring my old number. Contract was due to start yesterday. My old sim from another provider doesn't work and neither does the new one. The sim says its already active when I try to activate it. I can't get an account as my number isn't working. Should my new sim work already or am I being impatient?

I really need a working phone number!!

Userlevel 1

URGENT! 

Hi, 

I recently got a replacement card a couple days ago. I activated it through the app, but it wasn’t working. So I contacted chat support, who said that there was an error with activating the sim, they said next time contact the chat to activate the sim. I then got another replacement sim today and used the chat to get it activated, but it has still failed! They’ve tried multiple times today! 

I urgently need my sim card for work and general use - it’s been more than 6 days that I’ve not had access to my sim card and its extremely frustrating! They have again failed to help me on the chat function and say that they can order another replacement sim. But this is just going around in circles! 

I’ve tried all the above, but nothing has work - I would REALLY appreciate some urgent help with this, please!! 

Thank you

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Morning, I have tried all of the above and I’ve tried the new sim in 3 different phones. None of them are recognising it. They all just say no sim. 

Unfortunately, that sounds like a faulty iD SIM card @Deville1982
A quick way of getting a replacement is to visit a Currys store, where you can get a replacement for your faulty iD SIM card. 
🤞

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello 

my SIM card is not working I did all the things what I had to do and tried on 2 devices and still not working 

I will need a new sim

Okay @Lena27, one (quick) way of getting a replacement iD SIM is visit a Currys store, where you can get a replacement for your faulty SIM card. 
🤞

Userlevel 1

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

I have Put my ID SIM card in a new iPhone xr and i cannot get it activated or find my phone number

Userlevel 1

Hi @andewhite yeah I meant status...apologies. I put in my postcode on the page you linked to and all is good...

New iD SIM cards should come already activated and should work straight away in an unlocked phone.

It sounds like there’s a problem with your SIM card, or iD network account.
Either way, I suggest using the Live Chat service to ask for a replacement SIM card.

To avoid the online chat bot type “talk to a person”, once you’re connected.

If the online chat doesn't work on your smartphone, try another device like a tablet, iPad or laptop.

You can also speak with iD Mobile using facebook or Twitter.

The iD agents work between 9am - 8pm weekdays and 9am - 6pm weekends. Outside these times you’ll get an automated reply.

Good luck!

Some helpful info in there - appreciated.

I think there was an error with the hardware with the phone. It would recognise the sim on wifi...so allow wifi calling etc but as soon as I turned wifi off it would say emergency calls only.

I replaced the phone and all is working fine.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @MUM0001,

I can see that a private message was sent to you shortly after posting a message on another thread. Let us know if you need anything else.

Hi @Crissy,

Have you managed to find an answer to your problem or do you require further assistance?

Ryan

Userlevel 1

My SIM card works in my phone. But every now and again I will pick my phone up and it will say 'no SIM card'. A simple restart in the WiFi setting or w phone reboot fixes the issue but why is this happening?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @Hermione Moo, Speak to an agent on live chat using the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat

Type in “Speak to an agent” and select the required department.

You will then be connected to an agent.

Userlevel 1

Hi Ryan, I was able to get customer services help.

Why iD Mobile?