Solved

5G and Upgrade

• 17 November 2020
  • 11 replies

Hi, 

I have been with ID for roughly 3 years. I'm due to get and upgrade but I want a 5G phone. I know ID is not 5G compatible yet. Will you be moving to 5G and how will this impact me getting the upgrade with you now? 

icon

Best answer by Ryan 23 November 2020, 13:57

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Stacey Mack,

Upgrading to a 5G phone will mean you are futureproofed for if we do offer 5G services in the future. At present, we do not know if we will offer 5G but we hope that 5G is something that we can give to our customers in the future.

You can still use our 3G and 4G SIM cards as normal in a 5G phone.

Ryan

Userlevel 2

I don’t think you really answered Stacey’s question.  If Stacey upgrades now to a 5G ready phone (like the Pixel 5 for example) with a 24 month contract, will she get a 5G ready sim in the phone, and if ID rolls out 5G a year later, will she automatically get 5G on that same contract without being charged extra for the privilege? Plus, why do you say “if we will offer 5G in the future”? I thought it was a matter of when not if?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @wsheed and @Stacey Mack 

If you purchase a 5G ready phone, you will be able to use 5G services when they become available. You will need a 5G SIM card to be able to use these services.

As we have not yet rolled out 5G we can only advise on what we may think may happen. 

Michelle 

Userlevel 2

@Michelle, ever thought of becoming a politician? Please answer the question.  If I was to get a contract now, with a 5G ready phone, I presume I would have to wait until that current contract is over before I could get a 5G contract?  Therefore saying it’s 5G ready is meaningless with an ID contract as after 2 years I would be getting a new phone anyway.

Userlevel 1

Hi @wsheed and @Stacey Mack 

If you purchase a 5G ready phone, you will be able to use 5G services when they become available. You will need a 5G SIM card to be able to use these services.

Michelle 

Could you clarify what you refer to as a 5G sim is?

5G works with all Three UK SIM cards if you have a 5G phone, it doesn't take a special sim (and you are still using the ThreeUK network).

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @dw1,

Sorry for any confusion there. I would expect there to be no new type of SIM card needed but we will only be able to confirm this if/once we offer 5G services.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Hi there I was told by carphone warehouse where I purchased my 5g Phone from that if ID bring 5g out,then to contact them to get a 5g SIM as you won't get 5g services on a 4g SIM hope this helps 

Userlevel 2

This morning my Xperia 5ii is showing full bars 5G?? Just did speed test & phone nearly took off!? Wasn't aware ID Mobile were offering this yet!! Wow, happy happy!!!!! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @John Henderson 

Happy to hear you are receiving 5G service on your phone. Feel free to message us for any issues or concerns you may have.

-Mohsin

Hi @John Henderson 

Happy to hear you are receiving 5G service on your phone. Feel free to message us for any issues or concerns you may have.

-Mohsin

Hi, I got this phone and contact specifically for 5G and it’s been over 6 months with only 4G and terrible signal quality. I can’t even use apps half the time, it just took me 15min to book an Uber which now leaves me very late for work. I don’t think I should be experiencing these problems when I’m paying £44 a month. I have the unlimited plan but what’s the point of it when I have no signal.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Jtreal,

I’ve replied elsewhere to you on another post. if you could keep communications to just the one post, that would be great. Just saves anything getting missed is all.

Will

Why iD Mobile?