Question

Concerns around company future and questions about upgrading?

• 7 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone, I heard a while ago that Carphone Warehouse were shutting all UK stores and just offering services within Currys PC World or online. This got me thinking about a few things. Firstly, if the company goes bust while many of us have phones currently under contract (and/or use the ID network!) what will happen to our devices and services? Would we be completely cut off or if the company no longer existed and therefore couldn't claim our phones back from us; would we simply be able to take out a sim only plan with another provider and carry on using the phone? Secondly; how easy is it to change to another provider after your contract has ended while keeping your number; either through CW or not? And thirdly, if I chose to do nothing once my contract had ended and and the phone was paid off, would they still take the same monthly balance from me as previously or would I pay nothing to continue using texts; calls; data etc? Many thanks and apologies for the length!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @GraceJ96,

Customers are changing how they buy technology and we must change with them. This is all part of our transformation programme and is an essential part of making our UK Mobile business a success for our customers.

Both Carphone Warehouse and iD Mobile are still trading. iD Mobile will continue to trade through Currys PC World 3-in-1 stores, the iD Mobile website and the Carphone Warehouse website.

(Please note, due to Covid-19, store opening times are affected and hope the Currys PC World 3-in-1 stores will fully re-open soon).

In regards to your second point, you can simply text PAC to 65075 to get a PAC Code and use this to switch to your new network provider who will transfer your number.

Lastly, once the contract ends, if you do not do anything, you’ll continue to be charged the normal monthly rate.

You have the following options at the end of the contract:

1. Do nothing, carry on paying as normal, (however, we don’t recommend this since you’ve already paid of the contract).
  2. Upgrade to a new handset contract. Simply log into the iD app/account, click My Account > Upgrade and select the plan you want to change to. We’ll send out the SIM and phone, services will activate on the new SIM once you’ve done this and your plan changes witihn 24-hours of purchase.
  3. Upgrade to a SIM-only plan. Follow the steps as above, but after you select Upgrade, select SIM-only, then the plan you want to change to. The rest is the same.
  4. Cancel either via STAC/PAC code or via a 30-day disconnection which in either case will end services with iD Mobile.

We would send notification to let you know when the contract is coming to an end and the best options for upgrading so you’ll usually get a reminder for this.

You can also check the upgrade eligiblity in the iD app/account.

Upgrades are available in the last 60-days of your contract, so if a date is shown, that’ll be the date of when you’re in the last 60-days of your plan.

SIM-only upgrades won’t show until the last 20-days of the contract (or in some cases, after the contract has ended).

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Many thanks for your help Mohammed; I will make a note of your points!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @GraceJ96 

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks, 

Pearl

Why iD Mobile?