Solved

keep phone number when getting a new iD sim only contract from an old iD sim only contract

Hi,

I've recently bought a new Sim only contract under a new name and number with iD. I am cancelling my old iD sim only contract but want to keep my old number. How do I do this and what info do I need? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Will 11 October 2020, 17:07

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @georgesioufi 

We’re unable to move an active iD Mobile number from one account to another directly.  No network can do this we’re sorry to say.  We would always recommend doing an upgrade/ plan change on an existing account if you wanted to change your plan or start a new contract whilst keeping your existing number you had with us.

Theoretically though, you could move your old number away from us to another network (using a PAC (code)).  Then once that has moved, you could move that from the other network over to your new iD Mobile account.

My old contract expired a coupke of years ago and I have been paying a small amount each month for ID. I have now bought a new phone and saw a good online offer on your website for a sim only package. I ordered it and the sim arrived but I don’t know how to keep my same number in the new phone. 

Surely it must be possible for ID to let me  keep my old number. Please help.

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Chrisfrommanchester,

As we can’t perform an internal port, we’d need to perform a “Triangle Port”.

A Triangle Port requires obtaining a pay as you go SIM card for a network other than ourselves and porting the desired number over onto the pay as you go SIM. You would do this by requesting a PAC number for the old number from ourselves and giving it to the pay as you go network.

Once you have done this and the desired number is on the pay as you go SIM, you then need to contact that network and request another PAC code. Once you have this, you can then contact us again and port the number your new line.

Please let us know if you need any assistance obtaining a PAC code, and we’ll get that sorted for you right away. 

Will

Thanks Will.

That is a  bit complicated so I have decided to go with another network for the moment but thanks anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Sorry to hear that @Chrisfrommanchester,

Usually the upgrading option to SIM-only from your old account would have fixed this.

If you still need help, please let us know here.

Mohammed

Maybe it would but I was moving from a sim only package to a new online sim only contract and was assured on the phone that it is not possible and that I would have to go to another provider, move my number to them and then go back and move my number back to ID which seemed very convoluted.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

We appreciate your feedback @Chrisfrommanchester.

If ever you need us in the future, please let us know.

Will

Recently transferred to SIM only with iD whom I was previously with - Now find that I cannot use my old number. Why?

I discussed this on CHAT but with no real outcome other than they would transfer me to Pay as you Go. Do not want that, happy with SIM only but want my old number back. 

I only transferred in the last week or so and already having BIG problems - thinking of packing iD altogether and find another provider.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Brin,

Where has the desired number been? Has it been taken from iD Mobile to another network, and you want to bring it back?

Or has it been with a different iD Mobile plan, and you want to transfer it to a new one?

Will

The desired No. has been used for the past years since I joined iD with a contract. Now the contract period has expired I moved to Sim only hoping to keep the same No. 

I then found that people were unable to contact me and I found that my No. had been changed./

I contacted your CHAT twice, I was advised of the NEW No. but I said I wanted the old No. back,  then they said they were moving me to Pay as you Go - Why?

So to answer your question, Yes it was with a different iD mobile plan and Yes I do want it moved to the Sim plan. 

If this is proving difficult please let me know as I have wasted so much time trying to sort this problem out that I am absolutely fed up with iD. However if my old number is reinstated there should be no reason for me to move elsewhere and all this nonsense can be forgotten.

Cheers Brin

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Brin 

I replied to your post earlier with further details along with sending you a private message.

If you get back to us there we’ll take a further look and get to the bottom of whatever it is that has happened.

Why iD Mobile?