Solved

New contract + porting existing iD number = Impossible. Why?

• 9 February 2021
  • 2 replies

My contract was nearly up with iD, so I decided to pick myself out a new phone. Speaking to someone at Carphone Warehouse, I was told I’d be able to get a better deal on my new phone by cancelling my contract and setting up a new one, so that’s what I decided to do. Of course, I wanted to stay with iD, I LIKE iD. Good plans, good prices, and I could get the phone I wanted, perfect. So today I’ve gotten my new phone and contract, arranged for my old one to be disconnected and been issued my PAC code to port my number over. I put it into the app and… I can’t? Surely there’s something customer services can do so I log onto the live chat. Nope, they can’t either.

So because I decided to stay with iD, get myself a better deal on my new phone AND pay to end my old contract early… I’m being punished as a customer and unable to take my phone number with me to my new contract. To which I want to ask, why? Why can’t I move my old number to my new contract? It really does seem silly for this to be an issue. 

icon

Best answer by Michelle 12 February 2021, 13:26

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Hi Sleepingstar,

Agreed on all fronts here. 

the same thing happens to be but with a different provider. 

Not sure if you’re interested, but here’s how I managed to keep my number eventually:

I used my PAC code with a 3rd company as a sim only pay as you go. Then, left them and asked for their PAC code to go back to my original provider.

Long winded but when you’ve had a number for 10 plus years it’s not worth changing. 

hope you find a way to keep your old number. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @sleepingstar 

We cannot move an iD Mobile number from one account to another, number ports can only ever be done when you’re switching from another network. 

You would always be advisable to do an upgrade on an existing number you had if you’re looking to retain a number yet enter a new contract or change your tariff etc. 

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Why iD Mobile?