Question

New SIM card - but why? - in the meantime I can't make a call, use the internet or get e-mail

• 6 January 2021
  • 6 replies

I just received a text message saying “Good news! Your new SIM card is now in the process of being activated. The SIM should be activated shortly, but this can take up to 24 hours. We'll send you a text message to confirm as soon as the activation is complete”.

Just after I received the text message I lost ALL ability to use the both the phone and internet - so now I can only use them if connected to wifi.

Questions:

1. Why am I being sent a new SIM card - my existing one is fine and I never asked for one?
  2. I am not in the UK just now so I won’t receive it till I get back - and in the meantime I can’t use the phone for calling or e-mail or for accessing the internet. 
  3. What am I meant to do ?
  4. Why do you consider this Good news ?

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

I’m so frustrated having bought a phone for my daughters Christmas to only receiving the sim today and spent all day on live chat trying to speak to an agent to get the sim activated as I’m u able to log into  or register my account as I don’t know the mobile number.  What an absolute joke. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I just received a text message saying “Good news! Your new SIM card is now in the process of being activated. The SIM should be activated shortly, but this can take up to 24 hours. We'll send you a text message to confirm as soon as the activation is complete”.

Just after I received the text message I lost ALL ability to use the both the phone and internet - so now I can only use them if connected to wifi.

Questions:

1. Why am I being sent a new SIM card - my existing one is fine and I never asked for one?
  2. I am not in the UK just now so I won’t receive it till I get back - and in the meantime I can’t use the phone for calling or e-mail or for accessing the internet. 
  3. What am I meant to do ?
  4. Why do you consider this Good news ?

A new SIM card is always sent with upgrades

The template for the email sent is generic and used whenever a SIM is activated. Be it a replacement SIM or a SIM from an upgrade.

The SIM card is not automatically activated, it’s always sent blank. It appears you accidentally activated this yourself as there’s usually a clear popup in the app/account that asks if you have received the new SIM.

This then activates the replacement, thus swapping over services.

The only advice we can provide is getting someone to send the SIM out to you, however, we wouldn’t be liable for this.

@Kirstys have you tried doing this on https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/your-sim-card

The number of the contract should be with the receipt of the order.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Yesterday I inserted my new SIM card in my phone and successfully completed the setting up instructions. The following message was sent by you...

“Good news! Your new SIM card is now in the process of being activated. The SIM should be activated shortly, but this can take up to 24 hours. We'll send you a text message to confirm as soon as the activation is complete”.

It is now fully 24 hours since I completed my set up and I have not yet received your text message. Is there a problem? If not when can I expect to be able to make and receive calls  with my phone. I would appreciate it if you would deal with this as soon as possible.

Robert Graham 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @dadarob

Are any bars of signal showing on the handset when the SIM is inside? Have you tried turning the handset off for 10 minutes?

Will

Userlevel 1

I turned off my phone for a few minutes. When I turned it on again...amazingly it worked. I can now use my phone. Many thanks...I didn't think it would work. Any explanation why I had to do it this way.

Most helpful...

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I’m glad it helped @dadarob.

It’s a funny one really, sometimes they’re good to go immediately, but other times they just need that handset reboot to jump start them a little bit.

Please do get back in touch if ever you need anything else.

Will

Why iD Mobile?