Question

SIM Card Not working following phone upgrade

• 11 August 2021
  • 6 replies

My daughter has just upgraded to a new phone yesterday and has obviously kept the same number.  She has put in the new sim card which we activated last night but she still cannot get service. How long does this usually take? We are on a monthly contract.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Normally you can use your existing SIM in your new phone, unless you need a different sized SIM.

Why did she need a new SIM? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @suew,

I believe I’ve replied to you elsewhere on the Community.

Have you tried checking both SIM cards?

Ask her to restart the device.

@andewhite, with upgrades, a new SIM card is sent out automatically in most cases. This is for instance you’ve switched phones and it needs a new SIM type.

To be honest, most phones now all have nano SIM as standard, but when SIM sizes were changing, this was needed then.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@Mohammed , thanks for this information.
So with phone upgrade, iD dispatch new SIM card with phone upgrade, but the SIM card is NOT activated?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Mohammed, thanks for this information.
So with phone upgrade, iD dispatch new SIM card with phone upgrade, but the SIM card is NOT activated?

That’s correct @andewhite 

You can activate it yourself in the account and if you do, we simply transfer over to the new SIM but nothing else changes besides that.

You can also keep this as a spare in-case you ever need it for the future :)

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thank you @Mohammed.

So when upgrading to a new phone (that comes with new triple SIM card), it’s okay to use existing SIM, if it fits the new phone - otherwise you’d use the new SIM and activate it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @andewhite,

Exactly! 🙂

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?