Question

Sim DOWNGRADE from unlimited to 2GB

• 15 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi

I am have a SIM only deal, unlimited, I have had the deal for two months and want to downgrade to 2GB SIM only deal. My billing date is 26th of each month. 

If I change tariff mid month before the billing date, will the new tariff start on the 26th?

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Kingfisher10,

If you change before the billing date, you’ll get a pro-rata allowance calculated for the period from the date of change.

Then, when your plan refreshes, you’ll get the full allowance you opted for. The plan will kick in within 24-hours of the change, but allowance resets on the 26th as this date won’t change. 

Mohammed

Hello Muhammed

So if I exit my ‘unlimited’ plan today 15th, and downgrade to the 2GB data plan, I will be given a prorata allowance of data, calls & texts from the 2GB plan to use until my next billing date, the 26th. Then at the start of the next billing period I will be charged the £6 for the 2GB plan.

So is it therefore better for me to downgrade as near as possible to my next billing date?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Kingfisher10,

You’ll get pro-rata allowances based on the date you changed. So if you changed today, you’ll be given the allowances based on how much 10-days worth of allowances would be.

Then on your next billing period, you’d be on the £6.00 and receive 2GBs.

Your bills are always charged in advance and we won’t produce a second bill.

So in this case, your next bill will see an adjustment, where you’re given a credit from the date you changed plans up until your billing date (so as an example here, 16/04/21 - 26/04/21) based on the old rate. 

Then you are charged for this same period based on the new rate of £6.00. So effectively, you get a 10 day credit at the old rate and charged 10 days at the £6.00 rate so you should be left with a credit from this calculation due to moving to a cheaper plan.

This is then added to your next bill. So if it was money owed, your bill would be higher. Since it’s money in credit, your next bill would be £6.00 less any credit from the pro-rata calculation.

Moving forward from then, any further bills will just be £6.00 as normal.

So is it therefore better for me to downgrade as near as possible to my next billing date?

If you were moving to a more expensive plan, then yes, this is correct, since it reduces how much you’d have added on.

But if you’re moving to a cheaper plan and you know you didn’t need your higher allowances, then the earlier you do this, the more credit you will essentially get.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?