Question

Sim only switch

• 27 September 2021
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there

Account number: [Removed]

My 24 month contract ended Septermber 24th. I changed to a SIM only package and received a new SIM card. I tried to keep my same number and when directed entered the details to activate my new SIM only to be told it was already activated. Since then I have been charged for both the SIM only and my monthly contract fee is still being taken by direct debit. I assumed my old number would just be transferred and I would have a Sim only contract to replace my 24 month contract, as I didn’t want a new phone.

When I login to my IDMobile account, I see that I still have my 24 month contract, which has now been extended until 24th October and it appears that I have started a completely new Sim only contract as well. It’s very important that I keep this number, 07xxxxxx890 which I have had for 20 years.

Please advise how to proceed.

Regards

Dan McLoughlin

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @mcl0ud,

That’s frustrating.

When your signed-in to your iD My Account, what mobile number is showing there?
Is it the 20 year old number or another number?

Hopefully, your iD My Account shows the mobile number you what to retain.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for replying.

Yes, my ID “My Account” shows my old number and all my 24 month contract details, with nothing changed, except a new billing period from 24 September to 24 October. I received an email saying that my Sim card for the Sim only account is now active also.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Good to hear that you have retained your number.

Your new SIM only amount should be collected by DD on or around the 24th of each month, as one pays monthly in advance or the allowance linked to the SIM product purchased.

Your may get a credit, to your bank account, for the previous DD that was linked to your 24 month contract.

Anyway, hope you have managed to retain your number.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Oops… should have ended first sentence with …  for the allowance linked to the SIM product purchased.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Double oops… it is the 2nd sentence that should have ended…  for the allowance linked to the SIM product purchased.

Userlevel 1

Yes, I have retained my number for now I guess, but my IDMobile account still shows my old contract details, when that contract should have expired on the 24th September, so it’s a bit worrying. I have requested a PAC number to be on the safe side, so that I can change to another network, if I need to.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your replies Andy, but I need someone at IDMobile to look at my account and update it accordingly.

I now appear to have two accounts. One being the old one, where I still have my old number and my old sim and the other new Sim only account, where I was sent a new sim with a new number that I don’t want. All I want is a Sim only account month by month with my old number.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello again @mcl0ud,

For you to have two accounts with iD, you’d have registered for an iD My Account twice - more importantly each account would have a unique email address.

If you have registered twice, you’ll have two different email address for signing-in to iD My Account; in this case are the mobile numbers in each account the same?

Anyway, if you need an answer quickly I suggest the iD Live Chat service here. This service has iD agents answering your questions 9am to 8pm weekdays.

When using iD live chat, you can avoid the annoying 24/7 chat-bot by typing “talk to a person”.

If you don’t mind waiting, then someone from iD will probably send you a private message in this forum in due course.

Good luck!

Userlevel 1

Thank you Andy.

When I say two accounts, I mean it seems that I have now two mobile phone numbers, my old account which appears to still be active and working and the new sim only number (I put it into another phone and it’s also working) and I am being billed for both separately, as I now have two separate direct debits from my bank account. I will give the live chat service a try, as you suggest thanks.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @mcl0ud,

That’s how iD do things with direct debits.
You may be due a credit, or you may still owe something, for you pre-upgrade plan - hopefully the former.

Anyway, live chat should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @mcl0ud,

From what I have read, it sounds as though you may have purchased a separate SIM-only contract when you were trying to change your existing plan. Have you managed to speak to our Live Chat Team about this? If not, please let us know and we can take a look here.

I have also removed your account number from your post to protect your information.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the replies chaps. I went into Carphone Warehouse desk at Currys and they sorted it out in 5 minutes, which was nice. Both contracts were cancelled and a new Sim Only monthly contract started with my old number carried over, so all is fine.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Thanks very much for the update @mcl0ud .

Take care, and please let us know if you need anything else.

Will

Thanks for the replies chaps. I went into Carphone Warehouse desk at Currys and they sorted it out in 5 minutes, which was nice. Both contracts were cancelled and a new Sim Only monthly contract started with my old number carried over, so all is fine.

HI,looks like I'm going to have the same problem, do you think carphone warehouse will sort mine out as well hopefully. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Roy Rothwell 

You are more than welcome to visit your local Currys Branch so they can look into this. If you are still having issues, feel free to message us here.

-Mohsin

Why iD Mobile?