Solved

upgrade and new sim?

• 9 August 2020
  • 18 replies

I have just upgraded but for some reason you are sending a new sim. Is this correct? My plan on the app seems to have changed. I dont need a new sim and dont want to change my number. thanks

icon

Best answer by Kevin 9 August 2020, 16:10

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @verykerry 

We’d usually only ever send a new SIM if it’s been a long time since you last had one.  Things should work fine on the old SIM still until you potentially activate the new SIM yourself using the iD Mobile App.

I've also just upgraded my plan for extra data allowance and have been sent a new sim. Are we expected to activate this sim and transfer our number over? My existing sim seems to work fine and the plan allowances seems to have changed on my account. So I don't see any need for the new sim.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @soxley90,

I’d recommend activating the SIM.

I’ve seen some cases where customers have accidentally activated them from within the app after months later and no longer have the SIM. This means they’re without services when:

1. out and about
  2. Until a replacement arrives

Activating will simply transfer over to the SIM and should only take an hour at most.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/your-sim-card

But to answer your question:

Are we expected to activate this sim and transfer our number over? 

Not required to, but better if you do.

Otherwise, keep the SIM safe as a spare and can be activated in the future.

Mohammed

I've also been sent a new SIM but my plan change has already updated online. My only questions are, if I update SIM should it be after I put it on my phone? Also, will it keep my old number automatically? There isn't a new number attached to the new SIM is there?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Sasco,

If your app has updated to show the new plan then the upgrade is successful.

You can activate the new SIM card and it’ll automatically transfer your services over to the new SIM.

Your number will stay the same and your billing dates and details should remain the same also.

Mohammed

Thanks. Do you activate the new SIM before putting it in the phone, or afterwards?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Sasco,

It can be done in any order. You can continue using the old SIM card however if it is still working. 🙂

Ryan

Hi, ive just got a new upgrade Monthly iphone contract and it was an upgrade from a sim only contract. It came with a new sim, will my old phone number go onto the new Sim?

Hi I got an upgrade and the new phone and sim arrived (I wanted to keep my old number). I activated the new sim and put it in my phone but trealised this attched me to a new number, therefore I swapped to have the old sim in the new phone, however this hasnt updated to include my new plan meaning that I have no data and can’t really use the phone outside of my wifi.

Im going away tomorrow so will be reliant for data for maps when driving etc., so need to sort this - any help greatly appreciated! Thanks  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Georgina Ledger,

You should be able to use your old SIM within the handset.

When you log into your iD account/App are you able to see the upgraded allowances?

Kash

iD Mobile

This ID mobile upgrade process is rather confusing.

I’ve been on an ID mobile SIM only contract for a year and so I’m now eligible for an upgrade and found a better SIM only deal, so went through the upgrade process.

Confusingly, the following day I received a new SIM.  Why?  What is the point of sending me a new SIM when a) I already have one and b) my existing contract details have been upgraded to the new plan?

This seems to be a waste of postage for ID mobile and a waste of resources by providing me with something that isn’t required and will simply be thrown away.

What benefit is there from inserting this new SIM into my mobile and throwing away the old SIM when my current SIM is working perfectly with the new plan?

I just don’t get it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @milleniumaire 

If you’ve upgraded and have been sent a new SIM card this is simply a spare card in case you’ve for example lost your previous one, if you don’t need to use it you don’t have to, the upgrade will be live on the already used SIM card.

The new SIM can be activated at any time on the iD Mobile app, we’d recommend keeping it around just in case.

Tom

Hi @milleniumaire 

If you’ve upgraded and have been sent a new SIM card this is simply a spare card in case you’ve for example lost your previous one, if you don’t need to use it you don’t have to, the upgrade will be live on the already used SIM card.

The new SIM can be activated at any time on the iD Mobile app, we’d recommend keeping it around just in case.

Tom

Thanks for the clarification Tom.

As a customer, my opinion is that maybe ID Mobile should ask the customer if they need a replacement SIM card during the upgrade process.  I’m sure for most existing customers it just isn’t necessary to supply one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @milleniumaire,

This is due to be changed. We’ve stopped sending replacement SIM cards with handset upgrades already and hopefully will be stopping with SIM only upgrades in the near future. 

Thanks for your feedback though.

Mohammed

Hello

I have just upgraded my phone and received a new SIM card with a different number. My old number and account hasn’t been upgraded which means ID mobile is about to charge me twice as it seems I now have two separate account. Don’t know why that is when I asked for an upgrade.  What do I do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Olu Korede 

It would appear that an upgrade hasn’t been done and instead a second new contract. We’d recommend cancelling the new contract in favour of upgrading the old contract so you can keep the desired number.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/returns-cancellations

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/upgrades

Tom

I have an ID SIM only plan, which is renewed month by month. I pay 20 £ a month.

I would like to change plan to a cheaper one. It would be a 30- day plan again, but with less minutes, less GB, less etc…

I can see many people in this forum have had problems with making any type of change, and there is no one at had to help … please can you help me?

-How do I do I change SIM card only plans on your website?  (I do NOT have the app,  and I do NOT need a new handset).

-Can I please keep my current telephone number?

Thank you for youre help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @anagerbera2014 

If you’d like to make an upgrade or plan change we’d recommend doing this in the iD Mobile app/website after having registered to it.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/plan-changes

Tom

Why iD Mobile?