Solved

Upgrade contract as a gift

• 13 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I currently pay for my daughters sim-only contract. She has expressed an interest in the new iphone, so I was hoping to upgrade her contract and get the phone on that, as a surprise for christmas.

I don’t want to order last minute, as it will probably be out of stock, but if I order now, I think I will have to activate the new sim card that arrives with the phone. I would like her to be able to open it and activate it on christmas day.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can approach this? I tried asking on live chat but the agent couldn’t comprehend what I was asking, and through social media they just gave direct answers that didnt help. Surely there must be a way to do this?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ryan 14 October 2021, 09:59

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @robbieh,

The old SIM card will still work after upgrading; it’s only when the new SIM card is activated via the online account that the new SIM card is needed. If the activation of the new SIM card is not carried out, then all should be well with using the old SIM card until Christmas.

If the new SIM card is activated by accident through the online account, then the new SIM card will work in the old phone so I suppose you could present her with the new SIM card and not mention the purchase of the new phone?

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Thanks for replying, very helpful. So I can upgrade today for example and just put the phone and sim card away until christmas.

Presumably the contract switches to the new payment amount immediately, which is fine, but would the usage change more or less straight away, or only when I activate the new sim? E.g. her current contract is something like 10gb of data and the upgrade I’m looking at is 30gb.

Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @robbieh,

The new data allowance would kick in upon the handset being dispatched.

Will

Userlevel 1

Thanks

Why iD Mobile?