Solved

Upgraded - do I need to use the new SIM?

Userlevel 1

Hi, I have just upgraded from my £6 p/m for 2gb to £8 p/m for 20gb. Will I need to wait for a new sim, or will it just appear on my account?

icon

Best answer by Rory 2 June 2022, 10:42

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @Belle Walker, if it was an upgrade, it should just update on your account within 24 hours :)

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

I upgraded my mobile on Saturday 4th June 2022.

Since Monday 6th June 2022 my mobile had DIED.

It is fully charged.

I can’t phone anyone or receive calls.

I can’t text anyone or receive any texts.

HELP

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Hazel Walker, sounds like the SIM might be dead, rather than the phone. Have you tried both the original and new SIMs?

Is your phone displaying any sort of error message? 

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

As I have never done this I have just left it for now.

There is no error message.

I need to know how to save all my mobile numbers on my phone and then transfer them to the new Sim.

I think this might be the answer.

What do you advise?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi,

Please can you advise which handset you are using now and the old handset and we can advise further on saving contacts?

Can you try the SIM in a different handset and advise if the SIM works in there?

Kash

Userlevel 1

hi there 

I am using a Ukatel phone.

Neither sim works and there is no message on my phone.

I don’t have access to another mobile.

I went to Curry’s to talk to one of there experts and he said the fault is with the new sim.

How do I get another sim?

Also do I need to transfer all my contacts to my phone as I don’t want to lose them when I eventually get a sim that works.

Userlevel 1

I feel I’m just going around in circles.

How do I get a replacement sim.

Please help.

It’s coming up to TWO WEEKS without my phone

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If there’s a Currys nearby, you can get a replacement in-store immediately for £5.

Otherwise, use Live Chat to ask for a replacement and then wait 3-5 days for it to arrive.

See the “How do I get a replacement SIM card?” article for more details - good luck.

Userlevel 1

Still not a happy bunny.

If I click on the link live chat it just says URL error.

Why should I have to pay an extra £5 because I’ve been sent a ‘duff’ sim card?

I’m already being charged £9.18 just to up grade. Where does the 18p come from?

Why can’t you just send me the

’ how to save my contacts to my phone’ info and a replacement sim.

I’m almost at the point of cancelling the whole lot including my D Debit and go somewhere else.

You try 2 weeks without your phone and you will see why I’m getting to the end of my patience.

I can’t decide whether  to scream or cry. I have tried all the contacts suggested and all I get is the flipping URL notice.

HELP

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yeah, it’s not ideal @Hazel Walker.

Your iD customer experience sounds dire.

Regarding your live chat issue, if you’ve logged-in to your iD Community account using the Remember Me option, and try and start a live chat - well guess what, live chat doesn’t work!

Make sure you log out of your iD Community account before you use live chat, or use live chat on a different device (nothing’s easy with iD).

Finally, I’d strongly recommend you do not cancel your Direct Debit.
Other customers who’ve done this, thinking they’ve cancelled there iD contract, end-up getting letters from a debt collection agency.

Read the “Leaving iD Mobile? Don’t cancel your Direct Debit” community article.

Anyway, if you can’t use the online chat service, get assistance by contacting iD privately via their facebook page or Twitter page. 

Userlevel 1

It’s just getting silly.

I tried to activate the sim on line and guess what  I got URL again

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It’s just getting silly.

I tried to activate the sim on line and guess what  I got URL again

Wow, you’ve finally got a replacement SIM - hooray!

Regarding your latest web site URL issue, if you’ve logged-in to your iD Community account using the Remember Me option, and try and do things on the web site (like sign-in) - well guess what, doesn’t work.

Log out of your iD Community account before you use the iD Mobile web site, or use a browser on a different device.

Seems like nothing’s easy with the 100% online help & support from iD.

Userlevel 1

What’s the hooray for?

I still have 2 sims but I don’t know which is which and every time I try to get to a page on my lap top all I get is

URL

No one seems to be able to help.

Which is the new sim, the big one or the little one ?

Why am I being charged £9.18?

Why am I still phoneless after 2 weeks?

NO HOORAY till my phone works.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Hazel Walker, your posts are confusing.

You’ve previously said you’re waiting for a replacement SIM because your other iD SIM cards don’t work.

I just tried live chat on my Windows 10 laptop using Google Chrome, using the URL:

https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat

When I did, I got following when I started my online chat:

What are you seeing?  

Userlevel 1

URL

Sorry about the confusion.

I got my new sim within 3 days but I was told I didn’t need to use it by the operator I spoke to on my phone  when I upgraded

Since then my phone has just shut down.

I’ve tried so many times to get in touch with iD but all I get is URL.

Do you know how to tell which is the new sim?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Ah… okay @Hazel Walker.

When you upgrade your phone, iD send out a new SIM.
The only reason they do this, is in case your old SIM doesn’t fit in your upgrade phone.

I’m not sure what you mean by URL, but here’s some options to consider:

1. If you can work out which is the new SIM card, you can activate it by calling 7777.
  2. If you take both SIM cards to Currys, the in-store team might be able to help you work out which is which.
  3. Try contacting iD (privately) via their facebook page or Twitter page, for assistance - assuming you’ve got a facebook and/or Twitter log in.

As I don’t work for iD, I’ve got no idea which of the two SIM cards is the new one.

Userlevel 1

I didn’t upgrade the phone just the sim package.

I went to Curry’s

The Curry’s assistant put both sims in my Ukatel phone.

He couldn’t get it to work, he gave up and said to go online.

When I go to iD online all the help links are not accepted and I get

‘ page not accessible no URL’  i.e. it can’t connect to any of the iD the web pages I want 

Also I don’t know which is the new sim.

How do you tell the difference?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

He couldn’t get it to work, he gave up and said to go online.

When I go to iD online all the help links are not accepted and I get

‘ page not accessible no URL’  i.e. it can’t connect to any of the iD the web pages I want 

Regarding your online issues, if you’ve logged-in to your iD Community account using the Remember Me option, you’ll have trouble using the web site help links.

Make sure you log out of your iD Community account before you use the help links, or use a different device (nothing’s easy with iD).

Userlevel 1

Hi, I have just upgraded from my £6 p/m for 2gb to £8 p/m for 20gb. Will I need to wait for a new sim, or will it just appear on my account?

Hey Belle , literally exact same question I just asked ,thanks and the best of luck to your dreams, x

I have it too.

5 visits to Curry’s this week, they can’t crack it either.  The phone is showing live signal as a phone but is not working, except with someone else’s SIM card in it. Curry’s supplied a new SIM card… even they they can’t speak to so-called livechat in a computer, have to use staff’s personal mobile phones. iD livechat suggested their Technical would phone my after 48 hours but how will they do that when the phone doesn’t work? On the Curry’s staff members phone livechat I gave my email and suggested they contact me by zoom but they have not agreed or confirmed so that, 6 days and rising, there is no solution and no apparent way of getting in touch with them to agree a solution. 

Getting frantic here. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I have it too.

5 visits to Curry’s this week, they can’t crack it either.  The phone is showing live signal as a phone but is not working, except with someone else’s SIM card in it. Curry’s supplied a new SIM card… even they they can’t speak to so-called livechat in a computer, have to use staff’s personal mobile phones. iD livechat suggested their Technical would phone my after 48 hours but how will they do that when the phone doesn’t work? On the Curry’s staff members phone livechat I gave my email and suggested they contact me by zoom but they have not agreed or confirmed so that, 6 days and rising, there is no solution and no apparent way of getting in touch with them to agree a solution. 

Getting frantic here. 

Just contact iD using Facebook Messenger or via Twitter direct message (DM).

Sounds like you need to get a PAC and go elsewhere. Anyway, good luck @Frances Voelcker.

🤞 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I have it too.

Getting frantic here. 

Hey @Frances Voelcker,

The other SIMs being tested in your phone that work, are they also iD SIM cards?

Sounds like a very odd one indeed, but we can troubleshoot further via PM here if needed. 

Let us know if you do still need help with sorting.

Mohammed

Yes, one of those tested was an iD mobile SIM, which worked. All this was told repeatedly to iD mobile’s Livechat (when Currys or I could get into it). Goodness knows how many chats over 9 days before finally they/I got through to someone who bothered to take on board that both I and the long-suffering staff at Currys had done all iD’s suggested tests, and that idMobile technical calling back could not be the solution as the phone/text function did not work. Livechat feedback asked for my email which I gave (several times).

Finally, after over a week, a 2nd new SIM was posted to me by Id Mobile.  This did not activate when I went online to activate it: it took yet another session with on Livechat. My phone actually became usable as a phone at 9.30 p.m. on Thursday 22 September, having stopped working when the first new SIM was put in following a contract upgrade on 12/13 September. I still don’t understand why the original SIM could not simply have continued in use. 

Sure enough, when I finally got back a usable phone, there were missed calls and texts from iD Mobile. How did they imagine trying to make contact with me that way could possibly work? As an option on the iD mobile site, ‘phone not working as a phone’ or ‘SIM card not working’ did not appear as an option. 

The way the iDmobile website appears on a laptop means that several of the functions you need do not appear, (buttons, names of support functions such as Customer Services, Contact us not visible or  found by Search). This is very unhelpful.

iD mobile is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Currys, yet Currys staff are considerably hampered by not being able to communicate with iD mobile except via the same unhelpful means as unfortunate customers.  

I don’t understand how this community thing is supposed to work as technical support as it is hit and miss whether anyone replies, and most of the few replies I received had not taken on board that the phone did not work as a phone. 

I am a fossil, no twitter account, dislike Messenger and anyway it can’t be used if the phone is not working. I use the phone to communicate verbally with people and for family whatsapp. Otherwise, it is a camera and a mini computer.  Not a lot to ask, but obviously too simple a need for iD mobile to be bothered with.

(Something keeps sending reminders to grade or rate community responses but no simple and obvious way to do this appears, and I have a life to lead that does not include opening the can of worms of how to use the ‘community.’ Mohammed’s reply appeared on 27 Sep, i.e. many many days after I first reached out to the community.  There is no button below the message, Mohammed, other than the ‘Send’ button to my response. This is a screenshot of what I see.

Userlevel 1

I’ve just done an upgrade (sim only plan), from £16 per month unlimited data (expired 12 month contract) to £8 per month 20Gb data (monthly rolling plan). Was very confusing at first, and a large DPD van delivered a new sim (apparently from Currys) this morning (Sunday), a sim I am not going to be using (what a waste of time, effort, fuel).

It took around 24 hours for the account information in the app to update to show I was on the new plan, although with the unlimited data running until nearly a month from now as I’ve just entered a new billing period when I changed plan.

I was confused by the upgrade process (including associated emails) telling me iD were sending me a new sim and was thinking would have to change the sim over and then transfer the number (iD to iD, which I guess wouldn’t work). Was wondering if I could use a replacement sim option. However, it looks like I don’t need to. Will find out in a few weeks, I guess.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Frances Voelcker,

Do you require any assistance with your query still?

@gruntfutuk If there is anything that we can help with please do let us know and we will be happy to help.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?