Question

Upgrading contract more expensive then new contract?

• 12 August 2020
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1

I recently got told I can upgrade my phone, after looking I found a phone I liked. The problem is, upgrading my phone will cost more then to start a new contract with you. Is there any way around that?

NEW: 20.99 per month for 50gb data + unlimited calls. vs UPGRADE: 17.99 per month with a 9.99 upfront cost for 500mb data + 250 calls?

17 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @rvdpker 

How much does the 50gb in question cost via upgrade? and what phone is it you’re looking at upgrading to?

Userlevel 1

Hey Kevin, thanks for getting back to me.

For upgrade it is:

£30.99 per month (24 months plan)£9.99 upfront cost I only mentioned the 50gb and 500mb plans since it was the “recommended” plans on each page.The phone is the ‘Huawei P30 Lite New’.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @rvdpker,

Are you comparing both prices for the P30 Lite New and not 1 for the P30 Lite and 1 for the P30 Lite New?

I know that upgrade prices may sometimes be higher than new contract deals, this is common as with other networks.

Upgrades don’t require a credit check and so can order and we’ll just send out the phone and process the plan, whereas new contracts are a new term, requiring an additional credit check and you can’t port from the iD network to another iD plan.

Head to the upgrade page for the P30 Lite and view all deals, then let us know what this says.

As I said above, the upgrade prices would still be slightly higher, but happy to look at it if it seems oddly high.

You can include a screenshot here also.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thank you for replying.

The phones are exactly the same, the only difference being the (upgrade) in the title. Along with the different pricing of course.

I understand what you’re saying but it makes no sense to charge your existing customers more when there is no credit check needed. A few other phones are also cheaper for new customers comparing it to upgrading. It’s almost like you’re trying to get rid of your existing customers, for whatever reason that may be.

These plans are for new customers:

These plans are to upgrade:

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

The pictures didn’t come through @rvdpker, Would you mind trying again please?

Will

Userlevel 1

Sure.

vs

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @rvdpker, the cheaper option there only comes with 250 minutes, where as the more expensive one has unlimited. That would be the reason it costs more.

Will

Userlevel 1

Hi Will.

I can see that but that is not the only reason it’s cheaper. The thing I’m complaining about is this:

Why do I have to pay an upfront cost and then £10 extra a month by staying with you and upgradinng my contract?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @rvdpker, it’s just that sometimes it’s better to be a new customer, sometimes it’s better when you’re upgrading.

I’m sorry the deal you’ve seen on this occasion benefits those new to iD Mobile.

Will

Userlevel 1

Okay, thanks for letting me know how you treat loyal customers.

Userlevel 1

Okay, thanks for letting me know how you treat loyal customers.

With you on this, rip off prices to stay. Wont be upgrading and looking for a supplier that gives a hoot about loyalty, they can stick with bill dodgers 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Good luck finding a company that is loyal to you. You have to play the game! If an upgrade deal is poor then switch networks or do the porting dance and port out and back in as a new customer.

I have exactly the same problem. Sure, we could play the game. Or we could complain that it’s £99 upfront to upgrade for exactly the same deal as a new customer would only pay £9 upfront for. It’s really disappointing after two years of being with ID.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Tethysjane,

Welcome to the Community!

Is the deal that you have seen the same data etc as the upgrade?

Some deals that we offer benefit new customer and some benefit existing.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kash

New contract for iPhone 14 pro way better than upgrade offer. Less monthly £44.99 and unlimited data with only £100 upfront. Closest upgrade offer 54.99/pm £109 upfront.

why such a big difference and don’t forget the cpi increases in March would make it even more expensive to upgrade.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @parnold16,

New contract deals are often including special offers to incite new customers to join, similar to the offers you’d have received when joining.

This is standard business practice for almost all network providers.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

New contract for iPhone 14 pro way better than upgrade offer. Less monthly £44.99 and unlimited data with only £100 upfront. Closest upgrade offer 54.99/pm £109 upfront.

why such a big difference and don’t forget the cpi increases in March would make it even more expensive to upgrade.

Why not buy your iPhone directly from Apple using their 0% APR over 2-years offer? 

That’s £45.79/month for a SIM FREE iPhone 14 Pro with 128GB storage.

Why iD Mobile?