Solved

why is upgrade dearer than new contract?

Userlevel 1

also how do you contact chat.. you first to charge a monthly fee but last to provide a service.

Im due an upgrade this month and would like to know how is it that you amazing upgrade deals are in fact more expensive than if i was new customer!

thanks for loyalty now pay more?

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 9 July 2020, 20:17

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello @deratoul,

Upgrade prices aren’t always cheaper than new contract deals.

However, with upgrades you:

1. Don’t have a credit check
  2. Can keep your number
  3. Keep your billing dates/details the same, only the plan is changed and a new contract + phone sent out

With new contracts, you’d lose the number and also be subject to a new credit check.

As with other network providers, new contract deals do tend to have a better price point.

You would have grabbed a great new contract deal when joining us which would have incentivised you to join us too.

Mohammed

your positives are mute for anyone in good credit, all mobile providers can transfer numbers and with no poor credit that totally renders your ridiculous “pro upgrade” ‘argument’ points null and void

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @WhiteWolf 

“they didn't do a new credit check or change my number,”

If you purchased a new contract you would have been subject to a credit check and you would have received a new number.

If you upgraded you would have kept the same number and had no credit check.

We always run credit checks on new contracts.

Mohammed

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @deratoul,

2. Can keep your number
  3. Keep your billing dates/details the same, only the plan is changed and a new contract + phone sent out

With new contracts, you’d lose the number and also be subject to a new credit check.

As with other network providers, new contract deals do tend to have a better price point.

You would have grabbed a great new contract deal when joining us which would have incentivised you to join us too.

Mohammed

your positives are mute for anyone in good credit, all mobile providers can transfer numbers and with no poor credit that totally renders your ridiculous “pro upgrade” ‘argument’ points null and void

I appreciate what you’re saying but for some a new credit check isn’t always an option and sometimes staying with the same provider and being able to keep your number is easier than having to switch and deal with a port.

Some people would also like to keep their same billing date and have a fuss free switch to a new phone.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If I take out a new contract...as it is substantially cheaper and gives me more data and lower up front costs, can I port my number to the new contract by obtaining a PAC code?

Unfortunately, you can’t use a PAC to transfer a mobile number from one iD account to another iD account @Watson10

You can only use a PAC to transfer a number to a different service provider, which will also mean your ‘old’ account is cancelled and closed.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Was coming here to post the same thing. I can see a new contract offer far cheaper than the upgrade deal ID Mobile have offered me. Just to be clear, what is the reason a number cant be kept if I want to take out a new contract with ID Mobile via a third party? Is the only way to port a number to leave ID Mobile?

I think the two issues are:

1. iD Mobile can’t/won’t transfer a number from one iD account to another iD account.
  2. A PAC can only be used to transfer your number from one provider to another provider. 

Perhaps the iD telephone sales team can match the affiliate's online offer @Glynn Clarkson.
They’re available on 020 7139 1397, during normal office hours.

Rang them and they wont match the offer, in fact they cant shift prices at all. Madness. Anyway there is a way around it, he explained you can transfer your ID Mobile number to a temp sim, then port it back a couple of days later. Hassle but worth it to save the money over the overpriced upgrade offer!

Yes indeed @Glynn Clarkson - “a couple of days later” being the crucial bit of information. 

I’d suggest allowing at least 24-hours between the PAC being issued, and submitting the PAC to a new provider.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Glynn Clarkson 

I’m sorry the sales team weren’t able to match an upgrade price for you, however their suggestion of what we’d call a “triangle port” could be a consideration.

Moving from your current iD Mobile plan to a new provider’s Pay As You Go SIM, and then from that to a new iD Mobile contract.

Please note however the new iD Mobile contract will be subject to a credit and security check.

Tom

Hi @Glynn Clarkson 

I’m sorry the sales team weren’t able to match an upgrade price for you, however their suggestion of what we’d call a “triangle port” could be a consideration.

Moving from your current iD Mobile plan to a new provider’s Pay As You Go SIM, and then from that to a new iD Mobile contract.

Please note however the new iD Mobile contract will be subject to a credit and security check.

Tom

Yes already got the new contract sorted. All a bit of a fiasco, just received my PAYG to transfer my number to. Would be far easier if ID just price matched the deal and saved their customers the hassle! Maybe pass that feedback on to people that can action it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @deratoul,

2. Can keep your number

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You're correct about the positives being mute, however none of the main networks will transfer a number from one account to another! You have to port out and then port back in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Glynn Clarkson,

We’ll certainly take your feedback onboard.

Glad to hear that you managed to get it sorted.

Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Kash

Hello Mohammed,

I totally disagree with your answer apart from a new contract is cheaper than an upgrade.

Last time I upgraded, I couldn't find a phone in the upgrades I like so I searched the whole site and chose a new contract, they didn't do a new credit check or change my number, they just asked was it the same bank and did I want to keep my number, the next day I had my phone delivered, approximately £14 cheaper than it would've been to have it on an upgrade.

As a business the loyato existing customers should be paramount to keep their custom otherwise they'll lose them n go elsewhere, I've also noticed their prices are not so cheap anymore, some others are doing cheaper or around the same, it's all about competition and at the moment no1 is winning.

I've been looking for my next phone since November, but every handset they recommend is way too small, the bigger screens are way too expensive just now but I need a big screen for my disabilities so I'll have to wait as I'm not going to get it given to me

Was coming here to post the same thing. I can see a new contract offer far cheaper than the upgrade deal ID Mobile have offered me. Just to be clear, what is the reason a number cant be kept if I want to take out a new contract with ID Mobile via a third party? Is the only way to port a number to leave ID Mobile?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

1. iD Mobile can’t/won’t transfer a number from one iD account to another iD account.
  2. A PAC can only be used to transfer your number from one provider to another provider. 

Perhaps the iD telephone sales team can match the affiliate's online offer @Glynn Clarkson.

If I take out a new contract...as it is substantially cheaper and gives me more data and lower up front costs, can I port my number to the new contract by obtaining a PAC code?

Rang them and they wont match the offer, in fact they cant shift prices at all. Madness. Anyway there is a way around it, he explained you can transfer your ID Mobile number to a temp sim, then port it back a couple of days later. Hassle but worth it to save the money over the overpriced upgrade offer!

Why iD Mobile?