Solved

Login fails with email

• 2 April 2019
  • 6 replies

Login to idmobile main site (not this forum) fails when I use registered email address in username/email box.
Login =ok with current username (=my old email adress, no longer registered to idmobile as my email address).
icon

Best answer by Greyloch 19 March 2021, 11:24

View original

6 replies

xxx
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi @3rdRockStephen ,

Thanks for your post and we can certainly advise you on this.

Have you receently updated your contact email address on your iD Account? When you update the email on your account you would still need to log in with your original email address as this would be your username. We wouldn't send any information to the old email address if you have updated the contact email address.

The original email address is treated as a username and can't be changed. However if you have updated your email in your account any correspondence will be sent there.

I hope this clears things up.

Kash
Userlevel 1

REMOVED my iD registration and log in fails everytime.  I cannot access my account at all.

to my knowledge I have not set password and no idea of user name.

Have had many attempts with  web chat - they send form to fill but submit ALWAYS fails and I am cut off as i cannot go back to chat.

Desperate to sort this out - can anyone please help  email me please?  as can not find my way round site - im 78 and just changed provider to save money.

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @MOLNEWING,

We’ve removed your email as this is a public message.

We’ll get a PM sent over which you can find here: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll be happy to give you some support on this.

Mohammed

I had the same problem logging into my web account a few days ago, i.e. after entering my username (like yours, a now unused email address) together with password, the ‘Login’ button had no effect. However, I could log in via the mobile app, so the account was fine.

I use a Mac and tried logging into my web account using 5 different browsers, but all had the same result. I then fired-up my Linux/Windows10 box and tried 3 browsers (Firefox & Vivaldi on Linux, Firefox & Edge on Windows 10), but the outcome was the same.

I initiated a chat session to try and resolve the issue, and it was suggested that I should clear cookies and cache from my browser. This had no effect. The chat helper then referred the issue to IT support, but worryingly, I received a text later saying that the issue had been fixed, when it hadn’t.

This got me thinking - 5 different browsers across 3 different operating systems and 2 different boxes - it was VERY UNLIKELY that this was a browser/OS/box issue, and pointed to the login process itself. The login process runs as a script in whatever browser is being used.

I use a Password Manager (PM) to store usernames & passwords, and these are pasted into login forms automatically or manually, depending on the particular PM and how it’s set up.

On this occasion, I was copying the username & password from the PM and pasting them by using the mouse right-click facility. This hinted that pasting might be the problem, so I entered my password manually using the keyboard, and presto, the ‘Login’ button was activated and I was logged in. I repeated the login using the keyboard ctrl-V (Linux/Windows) or cmd-V (Mac), and this also worked.

So the conclusion is not to use the mouse right-click to paste passwords, but to use the keyboard either by entering the password one character at a time, or by pasting the previously copied password using the keyboard ctrl-V or cmd-V.

Thinking about this in retrospect, I believe that this behaviour is intentional. It prevents automated hacker scripts from ‘brute force’ guessing passwords by firing a list of common passwords at the login form. If this is correct, then the behaviour helps protect us from being hacked.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Greyloch,

That is really really helpful.

I can’t begin to say how grateful we are that you shared that detailed run down here, as it helps us, and our customers understand the matter, as well as providing a fix.

Thanks again for helping the community!

Will

Why iD Mobile?