Roaming & International charges

Userlevel 3
Badge

Roaming charges

When you use your phone in one of our Inclusive Roaming destinations, your minutes, texts and data will come out of your plan’s allowances. Remember, if you’re about to go over your allowance, you can top up your data or minutes by buying an add-on. If you do exceed your allowance, then standard out-of-plan charges apply. If you’re due to visit a country not included in our Inclusive Roaming list, you can find our roaming charges here.

International charges

If you want to call or text abroad from the UK, you can find all our international charges here.

Continue searching on our Community 

or

Speak to us on Live Chat.

18 replies

Userlevel 1

Is there a cap on the unlimited data sim only  plan when roaming? The one for £20. How long can you remain abroad?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @originalbep ,

You can roam abroad, however, there is a fair usage policy in place to prevent you permanently using services abroad. This is usually 4-months.

Info on this can be found here: 

In regards to the cap, it depends on the plan.

If you head to: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy

You should be able to put in the plan details to see if this applies.

Mohammed

So I can understand this, please can you be clear, unlimited data under roaming is not unlimited, I paid £16a month for unlimited data, text and phone with roaming included, for I plan to travel sometimes for months at a time, so under this fair use policy what data would be allowed? Feel conned here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Bob Oconnell,

It would usually apply when roaming more than you do in the UK over a 4 month period.

You can view further information at the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi! The link to the international roaming page doesn’t work, I’m trying to find out roaming costs for South Africa please.

Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hey @Ksenstar,

Sorry to hear about the issues you’re having accessing the iD Mobile site. We’re currently experiencing a few cookie related issues between the iD Community and idmobile.co.uk. If you logout of the Community you should be able to access the idmobile website.

Here’s a breakdown of the roaming charges in South Africa: 

Thanks,

Nikhil

Userlevel 1

Thanks Nikhil! I will have to receive a call in SA when I’m there, do you just have to pay above or is there a bolt on to buy to help with roaming costs? Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hey @Ksenstar

Unfortunately we don’t offer any rest of the world roaming add-ons at the moment, but it is something we will eventually be looking into. 

My suggestion is, if you’re able to receive the call over an app such as Whatsapp and you’re connected to a secure Wi-Fi connection, then do that as you won’t be charged to receive a call over Whatsapp (as long as you’re connected to Wi-Fi).

Hope this helps, and hope you have an amazing time in South Africa 😀

Thanks,

Nikhil

Userlevel 1

Thanks so much!

Hi, I am planning to travel around Thailand and then Australia. Will I be able to use any of my plan allowance whilst travelling

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @stcurran 

Yes, you’ll be able to use your iD Mobile SIM while in Thailand and Australia, although you will incur extra charges, I’d recommend checking the following link for the cost of charges.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/international-and-roaming-charges

Tom

Userlevel 2

On my current plan, I pay £10 a month  but can only use  up to 7.72Gb while roaming. If I renew my plan & pay £5 for 3 months then £10 for 9 months I can use up to 30GB while I’m roaming.  Why is there such a difference in roaming allowances  for what is effectively the same monthly payment ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @twosheds 

The new plans are subject to a different fair usage policy, we aren’t able to change the policy older plans are on as they agreed to a different policy, if a user on an older plan wishes to have the new policy, they’ll need to explore the option of an upgrade.

Tom

So I was on a ferry to France and didn't put it on air plane mode. I was charged up to my data cap for internet use.

I thought I had roaming for France, but I'm guessing moving from the UK to France crossed an international waters section were I'm not covered.

Can anyone confirm this?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

So I was on a ferry to France and didn't put it on air plane mode. I was charged up to my data cap for internet use.

I thought I had roaming for France, but I'm guessing moving from the UK to France crossed an international waters section were I'm not covered.

Can anyone confirm this?

Sounds like you connected to the ferry’s onboard maritime mobile network service.

The iD roaming charges for “Ships, Ferries, Cruise Liners” are pricey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @TheRealTomTom 

As suggested above by @andewhite it sounds like you may have connected to a satellite network which would incur extra charges as screenshotted above.

To avoid extra charges, it may be worth adding a bill cap in the iD Mobile app/website while logged in.

Tom

I had set a bill cap, that's how I found out. I had a message that I'd hit my bill cap. I didn't know why, but it appears to be the connection difference between the UK and France.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @TheRealTomTom 

Connection to a satellite network would very likely be why the bill cap was hit in this instance and the message sent about it.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?