Skip to main content

Whether you’re stressed from work or just need to take a moment of calm, it can be hard to remember to fit it in when you have a busy schedule. There is even a day to help people do just that - National Relaxation Day, celebrated annually on August 15th. On that day, we’re encouraged to take a break from stress and anxiety and do something they truly find relaxing. Whether it’s going on spa break or just reading a book – it’s all about having time to chill in a way that works for you.

And if you’re looking for another kind of chill, be sure to check out our competition at the bottom of the page. We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan. Not only is it super powerful, it’s whisper quiet too. So, it won’t interrupt your moment of peace.

One of the best ways you can reduce stress in your day is with a little meditation or mindfulness. And there’s no need to run off to a yoga retreat. There are loads of amazing apps that can help you get into the healthy habit of taking some quiet time. Here are 4 of our faves. Deep breath…

Apple Fitness+ and Apple Mindfulness

Apple Fitness+ has guided meditation sessions with experienced teachers – from 5 to 45 minutes per session. But it’s not all just sitting and breathing. Their Mindfulness Cooldown combines stretching with relaxation, and they have lots of yoga classes too. As for the meditation, it’s cut into different categories to help you with specific issues - whether it’s stress reduction, improved sleep or enhanced focus. Meanwhile, Apple Mindfulness is specifically for Apple Watch owners. On the small, square screen you can either follow a full meditation session or you can get a reminder to take a few rejuvenating breaths.

Fitness+ on iOS

Mindfulness on Apple Watch

Headspace

Headspace is one of the most well-known meditation apps, famous for its user-friendly interface and massive library of guided meditations. With its search function, you can find a meditation for almost any situation. Woke up in the night and can’t get back to sleep? There’s a meditation for that. And sleep stories too. Going on a walk and what to be more mindful? There’s a mindful activity you can listen to. They have podcasts, daily schedules that are easy to follow and courses galore. Headspace makes meditation accessible for beginners while also providing advanced content for aspiring yogis.

Available on iOS and Android

Calm

Calm is another highly popular app that focuses on meditation, relaxation and getting better sleep. Not only will you find traditional meditation practices, but there’s famous voices reading bedtime stories, soothing soundtracks and breathing exercises designed to help you unwind. The app's Daily Calm feature provides a new meditation each day, making sure you stick to mindfulness practice. And there are also long-term courses you can take tailored to what you want to get out of mindfulness. 

Balance

Balance was created to fit the needs of whoever’s using the app – so no two experiences are alike. Balance asks users a series of questions to understand their goals, then tailors meditation programs to fit. Whether your goal is to reduce anxiety, improve focus or get on in your career, Balance helps you build a mindfulness practice you can stick to - and that will evolve with your progress. You can always adjust the time of your meditation sessions. So, there’s always the chance to find a quick moment of calm, even if you’re rushing out the door!

Right now, Balance is doing a one-year free membership – so it might be worth a go.

So, why not whip out your phone, download a few of these apps and see which one works for you.

Win a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK!

Want to stay calm and cool? We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK. It’s cool, super quiet and has 12 different modes – including outdoors, cordless and tabletop – so you can take it with you pretty much anywhere. It’s also water resistant, so is even pool splash and British summer weatherproof too! 

To enter, just share your best relaxation and mindfulness tips with the Community below.

Entries close at 23:59 on 19th August 2024. Winners are chosen at random, and we'll announce the lucky iD community member shortly after. Stay calm, you’ve still got time to win.

• Go for a walk in nature and ‘forest bathe’.
  • Indulge in hobbies that make you fulfilled and happy
  • Get enough sleep
  • Socialize with people that appreciate and love you

With a Guinness - it's good for me! 😁 

Gym, followed by sauna, then head for an early night with a good book.

I like to spend time nurturing plants in my garden, it distracts me from whatever else might be going on.

I go for a long swim at my local leisure centre. It means you get away from your gadgets for an hour or so and have nothing to think about except your stroke.  Very therapeutic and like a kind of mindfulness.

Get a proper hobby instead of worrying about this nonsense.

A cup of tea with no interruptions. Bliss (and rare).

I like to go fly fishing with my two boys. And teaching them what I had been taught, just sitting by a river watching them fish and catch a small trout (always returned unharmed). It is so relaxing and piece of mind watching them enjoying my hobby. 

My wife and I find it does wonders taking our dog for a walk in the countryside to catch up with each other, get away from any daily stress, and breathe some fresh air. 

I love how my phone connects me to everyone I love and everything I need to know but sometimes you need to take a break and focus on what's in front of you to really unwind.

Enjoying time in comfy clothes reading a book.

Get out in nature and fresh air. Even if it's just a walk around the block, it's great for clearing your head a little.

Brdt has to be, bed, relax and sleep 

I have to say in this heat and when the work from home grind is getting to me and I feel fully flustered….

I like to log myself as using the toilet on the work computer then go and sit in a different chair in the bedroom, position my tiny fan on a stool in front of me. Roll my tshirt up into crop top territory. Lean back  and just let the breeze cool me down.

I picture myself laying on a beach in the sunshine with the sea air hitting me….

Boy do I need a holiday!

5-10 mins later I feel ready to carry on.

My favourite way to relax and unwind is to let off steam with my loved ones, spending time with my family and friends helps me to relax and reflect. Everyone has a different method for what relaxes them but often it is something you enjoy or something that makes you concentrate on nothing other than the task in front of you e.g sports, crafts, reading, meditation or even just chilling out binge watching TV series, whatever you enjoy/ can be based on your own hobbies that can help you relax. 

Retire.

😜

I enjoy relaxing by peeling vegetables,  my mind goes blank while concentrating and today I will be peeling apples readto freeze to make apple pies for later in the year. Mindfulness and production at the same time.

Whether it’s a 10-minute coffee break away from your laptop screen, being outdoors when the sun is shining, reading a book, walking, or soaking in a nice hot bubbly bath, all of these things are great for our health and wellbeing. 

Becoming attuned to the needs of your mind and body is a skill. What I find works for me is to have a little time outside to get grounded. I take a moment each day where I step outside in the garden in my bare feet, I feel the grass and earth between my toes, the coolness of the soil and breathe in deeply, taking in the sounds around me like the wind, the birds singing or the sound of trickling water from the pond next door.

Another method I have recently attempted is meditation, where I find myself partially asleep by the end of it. I have no idea if I'm doing it right but by just allowing some time out away from the demands of life works for me. 

Opening the windows letting the cooling breeze roll in while listening to low fi beats to chill to works everytime

I put on the radio or listen to a radio show through mixcloud and do an online jigsaw

i like to have a bubble bath with my favourite neals yard womans balance bath foam and i play some rain sounds on my phone, i made sure ive got new bedding on my bed and fresh pajamas, then i relax with a good book and some chocolate , if im feeling really stressed i like to drive to the beach an sit in the sand dunes watching the sea

Turn your phone to airplane mode and go for a walk. Don’t think about where you are going, just walk! Listen to the outside sounds, touch leaves and trees. Notice the birds, the architecture, beauty in the faces of the people you pass, smile at them. Get a little treat when you don’t want to walk any more. Walk back, or take a bus. Turn your phone back on and tell the people that matter you love them. 

After a long day at work I love to take the dogs out for a long walk and leave the phone at home.

Mediation or prayer are beautiful. Especially in the sunshine on grass. 

Enjoy the countryside.

Reading a book.