Skip to main content
Blog

4 apps for meditation and mindfulness.

4 apps for meditation and mindfulness.

Whether you’re stressed from work or just need to take a moment of calm, it can be hard to remember to fit it in when you have a busy schedule. There is even a day to help people do just that - National Relaxation Day, celebrated annually on August 15th. On that day, we’re encouraged to take a break from stress and anxiety and do something they truly find relaxing. Whether it’s going on spa break or just reading a book – it’s all about having time to chill in a way that works for you.

And if you’re looking for another kind of chill, be sure to check out our competition at the bottom of the page. We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan. Not only is it super powerful, it’s whisper quiet too. So, it won’t interrupt your moment of peace.

One of the best ways you can reduce stress in your day is with a little meditation or mindfulness. And there’s no need to run off to a yoga retreat. There are loads of amazing apps that can help you get into the healthy habit of taking some quiet time. Here are 4 of our faves. Deep breath…

Apple Fitness+ and Apple Mindfulness

Apple Fitness+ has guided meditation sessions with experienced teachers – from 5 to 45 minutes per session. But it’s not all just sitting and breathing. Their Mindfulness Cooldown combines stretching with relaxation, and they have lots of yoga classes too. As for the meditation, it’s cut into different categories to help you with specific issues - whether it’s stress reduction, improved sleep or enhanced focus. Meanwhile, Apple Mindfulness is specifically for Apple Watch owners. On the small, square screen you can either follow a full meditation session or you can get a reminder to take a few rejuvenating breaths.

Fitness+ on iOS

Mindfulness on Apple Watch

Headspace

Headspace is one of the most well-known meditation apps, famous for its user-friendly interface and massive library of guided meditations. With its search function, you can find a meditation for almost any situation. Woke up in the night and can’t get back to sleep? There’s a meditation for that. And sleep stories too. Going on a walk and what to be more mindful? There’s a mindful activity you can listen to. They have podcasts, daily schedules that are easy to follow and courses galore. Headspace makes meditation accessible for beginners while also providing advanced content for aspiring yogis.

Available on iOS and Android

Calm

Calm is another highly popular app that focuses on meditation, relaxation and getting better sleep. Not only will you find traditional meditation practices, but there’s famous voices reading bedtime stories, soothing soundtracks and breathing exercises designed to help you unwind. The app's Daily Calm feature provides a new meditation each day, making sure you stick to mindfulness practice. And there are also long-term courses you can take tailored to what you want to get out of mindfulness. 

Balance

Balance was created to fit the needs of whoever’s using the app – so no two experiences are alike. Balance asks users a series of questions to understand their goals, then tailors meditation programs to fit. Whether your goal is to reduce anxiety, improve focus or get on in your career, Balance helps you build a mindfulness practice you can stick to - and that will evolve with your progress. You can always adjust the time of your meditation sessions. So, there’s always the chance to find a quick moment of calm, even if you’re rushing out the door!

Right now, Balance is doing a one-year free membership – so it might be worth a go.

So, why not whip out your phone, download a few of these apps and see which one works for you.

Win a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK!

Want to stay calm and cool? We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK. It’s cool, super quiet and has 12 different modes – including outdoors, cordless and tabletop – so you can take it with you pretty much anywhere. It’s also water resistant, so is even pool splash and British summer weatherproof too! 

To enter, just share your best relaxation and mindfulness tips with the Community below.

Entries close at 23:59 on 19th August 2024. Winners are chosen at random, and we'll announce the lucky iD community member shortly after. Stay calm, you’ve still got time to win.

Going for a walk with the dogs, fresh air and the peaceful countryside work wonders.

Self hypnosis techniques are great for calming. Breathing exercises and muscle relaxations. Whether the hypnosis actually works or not is irrelevant as the techniques calm 

When you come home from work, put your phone in a different room, sit down and stare out of the window for ten minutes. 

What was considered daydreaming is now your ticket to mindfulness

Just simply focus on your breathing... 

Sitting on a beach near the sea listening to the waves crashing home 

Switch off your phone and go to a quiet spot with a stream or river that has calming water sounds.

Close your eyes, lie back and just listen to the water flowing, very calming. 🙂

I am a cat lover and find these furry Purry adorable animals the best stress relievers ever . Throw away the tablets and just get a cat 🐈 

Mine is definitely being outside, bare feet on grass outside, feeling the wind on face or rain on hands

Diaphragmatic breathing. Good for your mental and physical health, and can help with sleep quality, focus, and core muscle stability.

To lay on my sunbed in the garden with a good book and only the sound of birds in the background. My dachshund asleep beside me.

I just close my eyes, relax and take Some long deep breaths.

Find somewhere peaceful and relax with a cold lavender face mask 

Getting out for a walk or a run! 

My favourite thing to do on my day off is to take out my beautiful wife and go a sit near a riverside pub have something to eat laugh and and have a drink then go home cuddle up and watch a film and fall asleep in each other's arms best day ever x

I would recommend not using screen devices at least 1-2 hours before going to sleep. Personally I've been feeling like I've had much better sleep on nights where I do this.

When you feel stressed or overwhelmed, imagine your thoughts as if they're coming from a dramatic soap opera narrator. "And *today*, in the most shocking twist, Adrian can't find his keys! Will he ever make it to work on time?!" 

It's hard to take your worries too seriously when you're mentally narrating them like the most over-the-top drama ever.

Sitting in the garden on a nice day, reading a good book 📖 👌 

Breathing exercises work great for me. Imagine breathing in cool, blue air through your nose, then breathing all the hot, red anger, stress and anxiety out of your mouth.

Nice bit of gardening helps me relax after work.  Bit of piece and quiet time 

Getting as far away from the urban into the scottish higlands. Standing in the shadows of fir trees in the morning mist and silence

I find walking in nature to be extremely beneficial for my mental health in terms of helping with anxiety through relaxation - anywhere green with plants/trees or blue e.g. coastal, riverside etc.

Go for a walk or a run and do it at your own pace, taking things in and pausing to admire where you are. 

Try to get as much sunlight as you can first thing in the morning and raise your serotonin by going for a walk first thing to wake up. This will help to be more relaxed at focused at work. 

I take a quick 20-minute nap to relax and de-stress. While drifting off I meditate by imagining I'm by a waterfall surrounded by nature and wildlife.

Try taking a walk listening to sounds, without distraction of headphones