Skip to main content

Whether you’re stressed from work or just need to take a moment of calm, it can be hard to remember to fit it in when you have a busy schedule. There is even a day to help people do just that - National Relaxation Day, celebrated annually on August 15th. On that day, we’re encouraged to take a break from stress and anxiety and do something they truly find relaxing. Whether it’s going on spa break or just reading a book – it’s all about having time to chill in a way that works for you.

And if you’re looking for another kind of chill, be sure to check out our competition at the bottom of the page. We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan. Not only is it super powerful, it’s whisper quiet too. So, it won’t interrupt your moment of peace.

One of the best ways you can reduce stress in your day is with a little meditation or mindfulness. And there’s no need to run off to a yoga retreat. There are loads of amazing apps that can help you get into the healthy habit of taking some quiet time. Here are 4 of our faves. Deep breath…

Apple Fitness+ and Apple Mindfulness

Apple Fitness+ has guided meditation sessions with experienced teachers – from 5 to 45 minutes per session. But it’s not all just sitting and breathing. Their Mindfulness Cooldown combines stretching with relaxation, and they have lots of yoga classes too. As for the meditation, it’s cut into different categories to help you with specific issues - whether it’s stress reduction, improved sleep or enhanced focus. Meanwhile, Apple Mindfulness is specifically for Apple Watch owners. On the small, square screen you can either follow a full meditation session or you can get a reminder to take a few rejuvenating breaths.

Fitness+ on iOS

Mindfulness on Apple Watch

Headspace

Headspace is one of the most well-known meditation apps, famous for its user-friendly interface and massive library of guided meditations. With its search function, you can find a meditation for almost any situation. Woke up in the night and can’t get back to sleep? There’s a meditation for that. And sleep stories too. Going on a walk and what to be more mindful? There’s a mindful activity you can listen to. They have podcasts, daily schedules that are easy to follow and courses galore. Headspace makes meditation accessible for beginners while also providing advanced content for aspiring yogis.

Available on iOS and Android

Calm

Calm is another highly popular app that focuses on meditation, relaxation and getting better sleep. Not only will you find traditional meditation practices, but there’s famous voices reading bedtime stories, soothing soundtracks and breathing exercises designed to help you unwind. The app's Daily Calm feature provides a new meditation each day, making sure you stick to mindfulness practice. And there are also long-term courses you can take tailored to what you want to get out of mindfulness. 

Balance

Balance was created to fit the needs of whoever’s using the app – so no two experiences are alike. Balance asks users a series of questions to understand their goals, then tailors meditation programs to fit. Whether your goal is to reduce anxiety, improve focus or get on in your career, Balance helps you build a mindfulness practice you can stick to - and that will evolve with your progress. You can always adjust the time of your meditation sessions. So, there’s always the chance to find a quick moment of calm, even if you’re rushing out the door!

Right now, Balance is doing a one-year free membership – so it might be worth a go.

So, why not whip out your phone, download a few of these apps and see which one works for you.

Win a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK!

Want to stay calm and cool? We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK. It’s cool, super quiet and has 12 different modes – including outdoors, cordless and tabletop – so you can take it with you pretty much anywhere. It’s also water resistant, so is even pool splash and British summer weatherproof too! 

To enter, just share your best relaxation and mindfulness tips with the Community below.

Entries close at 23:59 on 19th August 2024. Winners are chosen at random, and we'll announce the lucky iD community member shortly after. Stay calm, you’ve still got time to win.

My tip for relaxation and mindfulness is to think of girls/boys names beginning with each letter of the alphabet.

Get outside with a cup of coffee and really listen to the sounds of nature, sounds of the birds,  the insects, leaves rustling, even the rain. Before you realise it your breathing has slowed, your jaw unclenches and your shoulders have relaxed. Ready to take on the next challenge.

MASTERBATING

I find going for a run listening to cheesy hits after work then coming back home to soak in the bath whilst binge watching TV shows on netflix is a great way to unwind after a stressful/ full day at work. 

I like to sit in a comfortable and read a good book which relaxes me no end.

I find the best way to start my day is listening to a feel good song in the morning before I get out of bed I find that sets me up for the day head to get me in the right mindset followed by a nice cool shower to freshen me up. With two young babies I often struggle to find the time to make time for myself but around work a couple times a week I try to do some excercise whether that be jogging or going to the gym and listening to a podcast I think it centres me gives me some time to myself and get to listen to a book I don't get chance to read otherwise. If I can't get to the gym I'll still try and get out even for a 15 minute walk around the block after the babies are sleeping. It's important to try and find a little bit of time for yourself especially with kids as I think the more relaxed and refreshed you feel the better you can be for them. 

With earplugs snugly in place, I press play on my favorite playlist. Piano notes dance like sun-kissed ripples, intertwining with the ocean’s symphony. Each chord carries me deeper into relaxation, dissolving the knots of tension within

Take up a hobby that lets you work with your hands. Knitting or crochet can be challenging to begin with, but as you start to get the hang of it, your mind will start to go into auto-pilot, and you’ll get into a meditative flow. 

Yes, it might be slightly frustrating when you first start, you’ll mess up, you might not think it’s for you, but perfection isn’t the purpose.

And there’s the added benefit of having a sense of achievement at the end of it when you might just have made something you’re proud of. 🧶

I live by the beach in a friendly Scottish village. My day starts off with a relaxing walk along the beach with my dog. We live near Fort George (Ardersier), and our 3 mile round trip there and back starts the day off in a calm, happy and stress free mood. The sound of the sea and birds singing is soooooo relaxing. I thank God every day for the gift of nature bestowed upon me.

When feeling a bit stressed, I like to go for a nice long walk in the woods or around my estate taking in everything I see or hear from the wildlife surrounding me. 

A nice long dog walk along the South Downs 🐕 ☀️ 

A good book and a nice glass of wine in the garden. 

I give everyone around me my smile. No matter how hard it is, this smile gives positive energy.

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

or, pack up and fly home to Poland, visit family, nothing relaxes me as much as being with loved ones❤️. BONUS:  roaming free 🥳

Find a smooth rock, name it, and use it as a focus point during meditation.

For me, at the end of those long frustrating work days, a walk in the woods with my collie is the best tonic possible. His boundless enthusiasm for life is infectious.

Two top tips from me:

- a brisk walk, ideally taking in some greenery (away from screens!)

- a few simple stretches (child's pose is a winner for me) 

:-)

I live by the sea, so floating on my back staring at the clouds is a great way to relax. A poor mans flotation tank :-)

I find reading a good book can really help and take my mind off a busy day! 

Smile, even if it's not genuine, eventually it will release dopamine, endorphins and serotonin, these will make you feel happy, literally fake it till you make it. 😁

It is all too easy to sit in front of a computer screen all day, East at the desk etc.

I now put tasks in that require me getting up, site inspections are an example, go and walk around an area to ensure we are operating as we document, in a safe efficient way. 

This is good for me getting me outside and good for the company as the managers are then see out and about. I previously would have said I don't have time but am still getting everything done, in fact now seem to get more done by using this screen break productively.

I like to go for a walk along the local canal,  there's always plenty of wildlife to see. Then I stop off at a coffee shop to have a latte before heading home

I'm lucky enough to live near the coast. , for me a walk with my dog along the beach is the best ever way to unwind . I love the sound of the waves and the breeze blowing, and my dog running about releasing his pent up energy and de stressing . 

Going for a dip in the sea to connect with nature or any other type of cold water exposure.

I have several different ways to relax depending on type of day or where I am, sometimes it going for a walk and taking in all around me, other times snuggling up with a good book, other times just taking time to be whether it's looking out the window or just sitting or standing where ever I am and listening to all around me or just shutting it all out. What ever feels good for the moment 

Walks in nature