May the 4th be with you.

• 30 April 2024
  • 0 replies
May the 4th be with you.
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

May 4th is officially Star Wars Day. But why? And when did it all begin?

Let’s dive into the world of Jedi, Siths and Ewoks to find out what makes May 4th a date to remember. Whether you’re a seasoned Star Wars fan or just curious about the hype, here’s all you need to know about a galaxy far, far away’s big day.

What is Star Wars Day?

Star Wars Day celebrates the amazing movies, epic storylines and unforgettable characters of the Star Wars universe.

The date, May 4th, plays on the pun "May the Fourth be with you." Yes, you guessed – it’s a cunning twist on the iconic Star Wars quote "May the Force be with you." This catchphrase is a cornerstone of Star Wars and embodies the good wishes Jedi give to each other, hoping that the universal power aids their journey (and to be fair, it usually does)

The concept of celebrating Star Wars on May 4th reportedly started with a grassroots movement among fans, gaining traction across internet forums and eventually being embraced officially by Lucasfilm and Disney. The first organized celebration of Star Wars Day took place in 2011 at the Toronto Underground Cinema in Canada, filled with costume contests, trivia games, and mash-ups of fan-favourite clips.

As the popularity of Star Wars Day grew, it became a day for all things Star Wars—movie marathons, special merchandise releases, and even themed parties. Notable events include surprise announcements from Lucasfilm or special appearances by cast members. It’s a day where fans of all ages come together to celebrate their love for the saga.

Your guide to the Star Wars movies

If all this Star Wars talk has got you in the mood for movie marathon, here’s a quick round-up of all the episodes in the series:

1. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) - Where it all began. Join young Luke Skywalker as he embarks on a journey with C3PO, R2D2 and other famous helpers to rescue Princess Leia from the clutches of the evil Darth Vader.

2. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - Often hailed as one of the best sequels ever, this film ups the stakes with its darker tone and (spoiler alert!) the famous revelation of Luke’s parentage.

3. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) - The epic conclusion to the original trilogy where the Rebels make their final stand against the Empire, and Luke confronts Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine.

4. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) - Jump back to the beginning of the saga where we meet a young Anakin Skywalker, a spirited Queen Amidala, and the wise Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn. Oh, and Jar Jar Binks.

5. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) - Anakin, now a Jedi apprentice, falls in love with Padmé amid a growing separatist movement that threatens the galaxy.

6. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) – Here we witness the tragic fall of Anakin Skywalker and the rise of the Galactic Empire.

7. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015) - A new threat arises as the First Order seeks to rule the galaxy. Meet new heroes Rey, Finn, and Poe as they join the Resistance.

8. Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017) - The saga continues with Rey seeking the help of Luke Skywalker, who is hesitant to return to the battle.

9. Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019) - The epic conclusion to the Skywalker saga, where all the characters face their final battles.

Now, because of the different timelines, you’ll notice that episode IV is actually the first Star Wars from 1977, and episode I was actually released more than 20 year later. And that has a lot of people asking the question: “Which order should I watch them in?”

Well, we’re going to avoid any controversy and say that both movie release date order and episode order have their advantages. For newcomers, watching the movies in release order (starting with ‘Episode IV -A New Hope’) is a great way to experience the unfolding of the saga as it did for original audiences. But if you’re after a more linear storyline progression, episode order (starting with ‘Episode I - The Phantom Menace’) is the way to go.

Memorable Star Wars quotes

Star Wars isn’t just known for its epic battles and cosmic settings, but also for its unforgettable lines that have echoed through space and time. How many of these do you know?

“May the Force be with you.” This just had to be the first quote we mentioned! This classic farewell wish is used throughout the Star Wars series but was first heard in "A New Hope." It’s a symbol of good luck and protection.

"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope." Princess Leia’s holographic message in "A New Hope" sets the heroic quest in motion and is one of the most iconic moments in the franchise.

"I’ve got a bad feeling about this." Uttered by multiple characters across all the Star Wars films (although surely Han Solo said it most times), this line captures the essence of imminent danger that’s become a running theme.

"It’s a trap!" Admiral Ackbar’s urgent declaration in "Return of the Jedi" during the pivotal Battle of Endor has become a popular exclamation point for real-world predicaments.

"No, I am your father." Perhaps one of the most famous movie quotes of all time, this bombshell from Darth Vader to Luke in "The Empire Strikes Back" is a major plot twist in the series.

We hope you learned a lot! And if you need more of a Star Wars fix there are movie and TV spin-offs to enjoy, from Rogue One to the Mandalorian. Plus, a whole world of amazing PC and console games. Whatever you choose to do, the Force will be with you. Always!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!

Why iD Mobile?