Question

2G always on (Android)

• 12 August 2023
  • 15 replies

I understand that iD through the 3 network does not have any 2G network coverage, however I am unable to deactivate the allow 2G option on my device. This is significant as localised 2G transmitters can be set up by hackers trying to gain access to devices, and the 2G connection is far more vulnerable than 3, 4, 5G. Security experts advise turning allow 2G off. Can iD update carrier settings to allow users to disable this please? For reference, I am running Android 14 beta 5.

15 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Good luck getting that request actioned. 👀😂

Good luck getting that request actioned. 👀😂

I know, but I've gotta try to request it! I just moved from Lebara because their carrier settings with Pixel phones disabled WiFi calling - can't believe I've switched and run straight into another carrier setting mistake!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @ked239,

Welcome to the Community!

2G isn’t something that we offer so it wouldn’t work at a network level and it isn’t something that we can turn off. 

Which handset are you using?

Kash

Hi Kash, 

I am using a Pixel 6; there is a widening ability on Android devices for the phone user to be able to "Allow 2G," however in the operator settings, iD have set this to always on (see screenshot). This was likely just an oversight, or because having 2G could be beneficial when roaming, were we to ignore the potential security threats. All that needs to happen is that one setting needs to be changed at the operator level to allow users to make the choice on 2G themselves.

Thanks!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Is this a case of where being able to use the phone to make an emergency call takes priority over security? 

Do the security experts who advise 2G is turned off explain why?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @ked239,

iD Mobile is a 3G or higher network (soon to have 4G and 5G only by end of 2024).

We use Three UK and they do not support the 2G bandwith.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

I need to be able to turn off 2G too. 

I can't use my phone properly as the other person can't hear me. 

Some googling says to turn off 2G and that might help 

I have same issue that id seem to be forcing me to have it on. 

Pixel 7 Pro 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @SBreeze 

Unfortunately as mentioned above, 2G isn’t something that we offer so it wouldn’t work at a network level and it isn’t something that we can turn off.

Sorry about this.

Tom

Userlevel 4
Badge

You need to buy a current phone😉

Userlevel 1

Then why do I see the same thing as in the screen shot, saying that Id requires it on? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Then why do I see the same thing as in the screen shot, saying that Id requires it on? 

I don’t think the iD Mobile network profile provide for your device allows you to turn off 2G, @SBreeze

The setting is sort of irrelevant anyway, because iD Mobile do not have any 2G mobile network infrastructure. Their network partner, Three UK, only have 3G, 4G and 5G mobile network infrastructure. 

Is your device using the latest Android version, and latest Android patches?

Userlevel 1

Yes all up to date. Android 14 with January patch 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @SBreeze,

Are you able to test the SIM in a different handset to check if you have the same issue?

We can get a replacement SIM sent to see if that improves things or you can collect one from Curry’s.

Kash

Userlevel 1

I don’t think the iD Mobile network profile provide for your device allows you to turn off 2G, @SBreeze

The setting is sort of irrelevant anyway, because iD Mobile do not have any 2G mobile network infrastructure. Their network partner, Three UK, only have 3G, 4G and 5G mobile network infrastructure. 

Is your device using the latest Android version, and latest Android patches?

The setting offers protection against impersonation (someone with a base station box pretending to be a Three base station on 2G). See Android users can now disable 2G to block Stingray attacks (bleepingcomputer.com)

To your point, given Three and iD do no offer 2G, they should not be forcing 2G always on. 

I have a retail Pixel 7a phone. It was on O2 sim only until last month.

On O2, I was allowed to toggle the “Allow 2G” setting on and off as I wished (their carrier settings/profile did not restrict its use). The default was that it was turned on but I could (and did) turn it off.

On iD, the toggle line is greyed out (with Allow 2G turned on) as their carrier settings/profile has restricted its use.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The setting offers protection against impersonation (someone with a base station box pretending to be a Three base station on 2G). See Android users can now disable 2G to block Stingray attacks (bleepingcomputer.com)

To your point, given Three and iD do no offer 2G, they should not be forcing 2G always on. 

I have a retail Pixel 7a phone. It was on O2 sim only until last month.

On O2, I was allowed to toggle the “Allow 2G” setting on and off as I wished (their carrier settings/profile did not restrict its use). The default was that it was turned on but I could (and did) turn it off.

On iD, the toggle line is greyed out (with Allow 2G turned on) as their carrier settings/profile has restricted its use.

Okay, thanks @NorthStu.
How commonly is the “Stringray” deception used in the UK?

Why iD Mobile?