5 Digit Text Numbers - I cannot send them

• 28 February 2024
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1

I have been trying to get this problem sorted for some months but so far iD have failed.

I have tried to text two different 5 digit text numbers (one is the BBC sports page number, the other is TfL's bus arrival update number). They just keep spinning and eventually fail.

My Premium setting is on and set at £25 so no issue there. iD keep asking me to send examples implying they can't think of an explanation at their end. I have done but it does feel that whenever I give examples, the shift the goalposts and ask for info in precise formats.

I notice other people are having similar issues but all iD seem to do is send scripted replies. A friend of mine also on iD is able to message 5 digit numbers, so it must be an issue with the company's settings for my account.

I never had this issue with EE so it is NOT my phone, before anyone asks or suggests.

16 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @LeytonLad, not all UK short-code numbers are supported by iD Mobile.

Being a UK MVNO, I don’t think iD Mobile are members of the Shortcode Management Group (SCMG). 

Find out more online at https://www.short-codes.com.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Andewhite. At least you've come up with an answer that makes sense. Clearly, no one at iD knew anything about that, or if they did, they ducked it.

Userlevel 1

...although iD uses "3" network, which is a member

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

That doesn’t mean much unfortunately. ID Mobile have their own back end systems for billing and account management. They just use part of THREE’s network infrastructure to provide a service.

Userlevel 1

Thanks WelshPaul. What a shame the "help" team at iD didn't know that

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs), such as iD Mobile, are mentioned in passing at SHORT-CODES.COM… 

Perhaps “some virtual network operators” is the operative phrase in this case.

Though, you’d hope there was somebody at iD Mobile who knew which short-codes work, and which don’t work, on their virtual network. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @LeytonLad,

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Unfortunately some short codes won’t work with iD Mobile.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Why the....HELL did it take iD so long to give me that answer??!! Some of your customers (ex?) knew more than you do. Disgraceful. Will change my provider ASAP.....not so much because iD doesn't do 5 digit numbers but because your support service is crap

Userlevel 1

If I could give iD a minus figure for your so-called help, I would

Userlevel 1

Update: iD tell me me a premium messaging bar was switches on....but it wasn't. They tell me to turn off phone and try messaging the 5 digit text number as it should now work....Still not working. Ridiculous!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @LeytonLad,

We haven’t said that it won’t work as I can see that the Technical Team are looking into your issue via PM.

Please get back to us via PM and we will investigate further and confirm.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Confused by your comment "We haven’t said that it won’t work..." . I know it won't work!

I don't wish to use PM as I feel it's a topic other customers should see. All I want is a solution to an issue that's been dragging on for months.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @LeytonLad,

I can see that the Technical Team are looking into it.

We are here if you require further assistance in the future or you can reach out via PM.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi other ID users,

I am still unable to text 5 digit numbers, despite iD telling me I ought to be able to (although that contradicts what some of you have said regarding iD not being part of a 5 digit text messaging protocol).

iD keep asking me time and time again for screenshots and details of examples of the issue, although I have already sent at least 8 examples.

It feels like iD (a) don't know how their network functions (b) don't have the skilled staff to resolve issues (c) fall back on delaying tactics to put off solving it (d) think their customers are stupid.

I will go back to EE at the first opportunity

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @LeytonLad,

This is something that needs to be investigated on the back end.

Our Technical Team are looking into it and we can only provide you with updates they send back to us.

We’ll keep you updated via PM if we receive any update.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Kash,

I'm fed up with you trying to divert this to private messages. Why not be open about it and put it on as a public reply so others with the same problem can see it? Your "back end" keep asking for the same stuff from me over and over again. Surely you can see how stupid that is?

Prediction: iD won't be able to resolve this. No one there seems to know how their service operates.

Why iD Mobile?