Solved

5g calling not working on Samsung S10 5G

• 28 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a Samsung S10 5G that has the WiFi calling toggle and also supports WiFi calling. It has worked with other Sims for this feature before.

However I cannot get WiFi calling working with my new ID mobile SIM.

Why is this? Any help appreciated as I just cannot understand why it is not working.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 28 September 2021, 18:41

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Pritpal,

If you’re asking about Wi-Fi Calling, then your device doesn’t seem to be on the supported devices list here

That said, have you tried putting the device in Airplane Mode with Wi-Fi ON, which might trigger Wi-Fi Calling into life.

Anyway, good luck!

Userlevel 1

Thanks @andewhite 

Yes tried that with no joy.

I just can't understand why it is not on the list of supported phones as the older Samsung's are all supported as are the other S10's. Why not support the top of the range S10 5G especially as it has the WiFi calling toggle in the settings. Surely sounds like a mistake?

Perhaps someone from ID can explain.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes indeed @Pritpal, it seems odd that the Samsung S10 5G is supported by Three UK for Wi-Fi Calling but not iD Mobile - an oversight perhaps.

Do you have another supported Wi-Fi Calling device that you can try your SIM in? 

Userlevel 1

Thanks again @andewhite it makes no sense as you say being supported by Three and not ID.

Yes tried the ID SIM in a Pixel 5 and WiFi calling worked with no issues.

Hoping @iD Support @iD Mobile have some answers here as I do not feel comfortable, given Three's historically poor indoor coverage, not having WiFi calling. 

I will have to go back to Vodafone if so.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I see the Google Pixel 5 is listed on the iD Wi-Fi Calling supported devices list.

Another thing to double-check is you’ve selected 4G (LTE) as the network mode on your S10 5G. 

Anyway, good luck @Pritpal.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

And another thing to try - is there an option to toggle VoLTE calls?

If there is, then try turning this Mobile Network setting to OFF - Android may be trying to use Voice-over-LTE when it could (and should) be using Voice-over-Wi-Fi.

Fingers-crossed!

Userlevel 1

Tried that too @andewhite, sadly to no avail.

Many thanks for trying so hard to resolve. Sadly it made no difference.

I suppose my biggest annoyance is that it is on the Three list but not the ID supported list. I always get irritated by lack of logic. 😂.

Wishing you all the very best always.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yeah @Pritpal, I agree.

Several years ago I got really frustrated with the Wi-Fi Calling support on Android devices from the network operators.

As a result took the drastic step of switching to iPhone - all network operators support Wi-Fi Calling on every iPhone since the 5S. Anyway, been using Wi-Fi Calling happily ever since and I rely on it heavily in my mobile network not-spot.

Why iD Mobile?