Solved

Device warranty help

• 9 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I cannot find where to contact for assistance in regards to my device developing a fault.

I have an iPhone 14 Pro which I purchased on contract with ID Mobile on 15th September 2022. On 25th September 2023, I noticed that there was a dead pixel on the phone screen, so I took the device into Apple.

Apple advised that as the phone was outside of the manufacturers warranty (though only by a matter of weeks), they could not help and I should instead contact the place where I purchased the phone. Apple did however confirm that the dead pixel was a manufacturing defect and so not caused by anything I had done to the phone, but the only way to repair it would be a screen replacement at a cost of £325.

I subsequently took my phone to a Curry’s store for assistance but they also would not help.

Whilst I acknowledge that my device is just out of manufacturers warranty, consumer law states that products should last a “reasonable amount of time” and this is outside of any warranty etc. I think it is reasonable to expect a flagship smartphone to last longer than a year without developing any defects, and as such I believe I should be entitled to a free repair or replacement under consumer law. 

Is anyone able to advise as to how I can potentially persue this course of action?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Tom 20 October 2023, 15:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Maurio 

Unfortunately should your warranty be over the 12 months Apple offers, their suggestion of the repair would be the same we would suggest, sorry about this.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to contact someone at ID to discuss a claim? Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, goods must last a reasonable amount of time and this applies for up to six years. I strongly believe that it would be reasonable to expect a £1200 smartphone to last longer than 13 months and when I took my device to Apple they agreed, however advised that I can only pursue this through the retailer.

Apple said that the only way to repair the manufacturing defect would be to replace the screen at a cost of £349. Therefore my proposal would be that I arrange for a repair of the screen and ID mobile reimburse me for the cost of this repair, however I am open to other options and would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss this matter with someone properly.

If you could please provide me with contact details for how I can escalate this matter that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Oliver

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Maurio 

Unfortunately there wouldn’t be any way to discuss a claim such as this, out of the first 30 days we’d be sending the device off for repair or warranty, the warranty of the device is with the manufacturer directly.

If you’d like to make a complaint, please see the following link;

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/complaints-procedure

Tom

Why iD Mobile?