Question

Error 38 when replying to a text (shortcode)

I'm trying to reply to a message from BT but it keeps saying unable to send - error 38. I've tried everything I've seen suggested; new sim, reset network settings, increased bill cap, but I still keep getting the same error

13 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Are you trying to replying to a BT short-code @Gemma Mann

SMS short-codes don’t always work as you might reasonably expect @Gemma Mann

It seems there are some companies that assume all mobile users to be able to reply to a short-code, which is not necessarily true.

Yes I am. Why would I not be able to a reply to a short code? I can send messages to other short codes such as entering competitions? And looking back I have previously been able to reply

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’d guess the real number associated with the BT short-code might have changed @Gemma Mann, resulting in an issue. Alternatively, there might be a network routing issue affecting this short-code.

If you don’t mind waiting for an answer, someone from iD will respond to your post in due course.

FYI, there’s more about short-code numbers at https://www.short-codes.com/what-is-short-codes.

Given iD Mobile is an MVNO, SHORT-CODES.COM have interesting paragraph, which I’ve highlighted below:  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Gemma Mann,

What’s the number of the shortcode you’re trying to text?

Have you been able to text them in the past?

Mohammed

61998. Yes I have

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Gemma Mann to clarify, I mean have you been able to text them on iD Mobile?

If you have, then the number is setup fine on our network and the issue could be something else.

Searching this number it is on our systems so definitely one we’ve got setup on the network.

Mohammed

I've definitely text them from this phone before but not sure if it was before I was with iD

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Gemma Mann,

Could you please try the below. It may not work but it’s worth a try.

1. Search for “About Phone” in Settings
  2. Click into “Status”
  3. Click into “Network”
  4. (Select relevant SIM)
  5. Set the “SMS center number” to “+447782000800

If it doesn’t work we will send you a PM. Just let us know here.

Kash

The sms center number was already set to that and it doesn't work 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Gemma Mann,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

I'm having the exact same issue when trying to reply to 60118 (BT), and have checked and reset my settings

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I'm having the exact same issue when trying to reply to 60118 (BT), and have checked and reset my settings

The earlier posts appear to reference short-code 61998, @TheDJHut

These short-codes might not be supported on the iD Mobile network, perhaps because iD Mobile aren’t members of the UK “Shortcode Management Group” (SCMG). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @TheDJHut 

Sorry to hear this, is 60118 the only OTP you’re having issues with?

How are other OTPs?

Tom

Why iD Mobile?