Question

extremely poor network coverage getting worse

• 21 January 2024
  • 10 replies

I've been with ID mobile since October 2022 and have a pixel 7 pro handset, I noticed the signal was poor but I checked the coverage which claims the city centre I live in (Cambridge) should have good indoor and outdoor signal so I assumed it was temporary issue. This seems to have progressively got worse over time and has never improved, I've travelled all over the UK and it's totally patchy and I can pretty much only make calls outside.

My partner had the same handset on Tesco mobile and has no issues anywhere. I'm now moving to Norwich, there area is also listed as having good signal inside and out with 5g, in reality i can maybe 2 bars h+ so I'll have to rely on WiFi. I'm not sure I can cope with this, my contract is up on 11 Oct 2024 but I'll need signal until then. What options do I have? I can't afford to pay for another contract just to make phone calls or use the internet on my mobile... I pay for 50gb data unlimited texts and calls.

10 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Do you get the same issues using your iD SIM in a different handset, @Zazuj? 
If yes, then your SIM might be damaged or faulty. 

The online coverage checker only shows the theoretical coverage predicted at any given location, based on computer models. The actual signal reception may be better or worse than predicted by these models. 

The iD Mobile coverage checker has the following statement below their coverage results:

Although we try to make these coverage results as accurate as possible, the information is only a guide. It doesn't guarantee availability in a particular location. The roll out plans are updated regularly and may change over time.

The https://mastdata.com website has data on actual coverage for many locations in the UK.

Hi thanks for the reply. I've already checked mastdata but regardless, I'm talking major UK city centres. I'm in Manchester at the minute and getting one bar 4G/h+ (outside). If I'm in the countryside I'm better off finding any local WiFi as it's hopeless. The ID's online theoretical checker is obviously just completely incorrect so I stopped using that entirely. 

So regarding the SIM card itself being faulty is interesting and something I've never heard of before in this context, I'd understand a damaged SIM card being unable to function correctly having a poor contact but how would this reduce signal? The signal is bad in other handsets sure but isn't this just because it's trying to connect to the same masts providing poor coverage?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps the antenna in your primary handset are faulty, or less than optimal with the radio spectrum used by iD Mobile, @Zazuj? 

Can you try your iD SIM in another handset? 
This could help identify if this issue is caused by the SIM card, or the handset.

My own experience of using the Three UK mobile network (iD Mobile’s network partner), for a majority of the last 14-years has been favourable - all over the UK.

I'll try, I had better signal using an e-sim abroad than I've ever had with ID mobile using this handset however so I highly doubt it, I had consistent 4g inside and out. Before this Ive had no issue with Giffgaff in the same area. Also, from taking a brief look at this forum I can see plenty of others complaining about lack of coverage... I don't think this is an isolated issue to me.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I'll try, I had better signal using an e-sim abroad than I've ever had with ID mobile using this handset however so I highly doubt it, I had consistent 4g inside and out. Before this I've had no issue with Giffgaff in the same area. Also, from taking a brief look at this forum I can see plenty of others complaining about lack of coverage... I don't think this is an isolated issue to me.

Okay @Zazuj, the different UK mobile networks are each using different parts of the radio spectrum, allocated for mobile telephone services. Some parts of this radio spectrum penetrate buildings better than other parts. Not all the UK networks have been allocated parts of the radio spectrum good for building penetration etcetera.

At any given location, one of the mobile networks may provide a better signal (indoors/outdoors) than their competitors. Perhaps the O2 network (used by giffgaff) is the best network at your location with your handset. 

Does anyone have any experience with cancelling a contract with ID early to switch providers for this kind of reason? There’s really not much point me trying to get by with ID once I move if I can barely get signal in the city so I guess i’ll just have to eat the cost as October is a long time to live without decent signal really. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

This clause in your iD contract appears to suggest you’d need to demonstrate consistent lack of services, against your typical usage, in order to stand a chance of leaving your 24-month minimum term handset contract without an early termination charge. 

Have you looked at trying a replacement SIM card yet, @Zazuj?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Zazuj,

Welcome to the Community!

Have you raised this with us already and has it been investigated?

Can you please provide the postcodes for the locations that you are having issues?

Kash

I am really disappointed with the cover and signal strength of this provider. Customer service is non-existent even when physically visiting a curry’s store. To be honest I do not believe this service is value for money as it is not fit for purpose. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Andrea Bain,

Welcome to the Community!

Has your coverage been checked?

Is it a sudden change in coverage or has it been the same since purchasing?

Kash

Why iD Mobile?